Good day to you all and welcome to We Want Insanity. I am your host for today, Matt Dawgs and this is my column. Today is the end of the work week and the time to look back at all the goings-on over the past seven days as I wrap it up with a bow and spout it out bit by bit. Buckle up. Enjoy the ride.
MATT NOTE: It is always a tough call on what to do in specific situations where details aren’t 100% confirmed. Over the weekend, WWE Hall of Famer “Superfly” Jimmy Snuka passed away at age 73. Usually when a former wrestling legend passes, he’d get an R.I.P. and some kind words about him or his career. But Snuka is a unique case because even though he was a beloved fan favorite for many both in the industry and fans of it, he recently has been in the news due to the 1983 death of then girlfriend Nancy Argentino. Snuka was actually finally charged with her murder back in 2016 however just two short weeks ago all the charges were dropped based on the fact that Snuka was in hospice care with cancer, dementia and several infections and wasn’t given much time to live. The judge in the case ruled that Snuka, even if he wasn’t in hospice care, wouldn’t be mentally fit to stand trial and thus would not waste the time and taxpayer dollars to try him. Obviously with Snuka passing, she was right. The problem is now however that many due to the details surrounding the death of Argentino being released believe that Snuka was in fact culpable of her death. Hell, even I believe Snuka was absolutely responsible for it and it was covered up due to his celebrity. He essentially got away with murder. WWE was painted into a corner with everything because even though Snuka wasn’t convicted the recent news about him made it hard to do a tribute. WWE should have actually just done a graphic at the beginning and middle of RAW on Monday. Doing a full-fledged video package however in light of everything seemed kind of sleazy. They did however HAVE to do something for him since he as noted wasn’t convicted of a crime and it would have been in poor taste not to mention him at all due to his place in the WWE history books. It was tough shoes to be in.
BONUS MATT NOTE: Did you see the Okada vs. Omega match at Wrestle Kingdom 11 yet? Did you? Well? Thoughts?
WWE NEWS AND NOTES:
- After a 10 year absence from the WWE, it was announced on Monday that KURT ANGLE will be making his triumphant return to the company as he will headline the 2017 WWE Hall of Fame. No word on whether or not he is going to wrestle again but as of now, the short answer is no. It does not appear that he will be making an in ring return despite in the days leading up to the announcement there were rumors circulating that he will be an entrant in the Royal Rumble match in two weeks.
- Angle is pushing for (and will likely get) “Stone Cold” Steve Austin to induct him into the Hall of Fame.
- EMMALINA IS COMING!!! YAY!!!!
- The opening segment of RAW was fantastic and it shows you how much Brock Lesnar is far and away the biggest star the company has despite his loss to Goldberg. The crowd went ape sh*t for him and he feels so much different and more special than anyone else on the show.
- Sami Zayn = Doghouse.
- The Nia Jax jumping Sasha footage from before RAW went on the air was well done. I hope they use this angle very sparingly however and don’t over use it.
- Since there is only two weeks between the Royal Rumble PPV and Elimination Chamber, Smackdown Live announced the main event for that PPV since it is a Smackdown only show. The winner of A.J. Styles vs. John Cena at the Rumble will defend the WWE Title in an Elimination Chamber match.
- Mickie James is La Luchadora. I called it!!!! YAY ME!!!
- Vince McMahon’s recent surgery was hip surgery, not quad surgery as I reported last week.
- Undertaker’s hip surgery was NOT hip replacement. He is holding off on getting that until he officially retires.
- Brock Lesnar is expected to be on almost every RAW between now and Mania. This is significantly more dates than he has worked for WWE since 2004 when he was full time on the roster. So whatever his new deal is calls for more dates than usual for him. There are talks for him to actually wrestle on RAW at least once during that run.
- Despite no longer being under WWE contract and instead on a Legends Deal, Jerry Lawler returned to Smackdown this week from Memphis to host a special “King’s Court” with guest Dolph Ziggler. The segment ended with Dolph superkicking Lawler in the chest to play off of Dolph causing Lawler’s heart attack 4 years ago. It was also used to further cement Ziggler’s new heel role. Lawler was also announced on “Talking Smack” that he will be calling the “Royal Rumble” match itself alongside Michael Cole and Corey Graves. Lawler is NOT coming back full time for commentary and is only expected to call that match on the PPV.
- There was a story that has been circulating involving Randy Orton earlier this week as apparently he was at a local gym in Arkansas when a fan approached him during his workout and asked for a picture. Orton fist bumped the fan and then motioned to his headphone noting that he cannot hear him. Orton then walked off and continued to work out. The fan, who was with his friends then, snapped a photo of Orton working out to which Orton became livid and confronted him. After words were exchanged, Orton just said forget it and walked off. The fan claims Orton was a jerk. Orton tweeted the following earlier this week: ”Apparently I hurt a fans feelings when I told him to F-off at the gym. That’s news? Been happening for 15 years now. #getalife”
- A police report was filed by A.J. Styles this week also in Arkansas as his bag was stolen with several thousand dollars, Beats by Dre headphones, a small screen TV, an XBOX One, several games among other items.
- Big Show is currently at the lightest he has ever been in his career. He also has ABS!!!
- WWE Hall of Famer Howard Finkel celebrated the 40th Anniversary of his WWE debut earlier this week.
- WWE Hall of Famer Trish Stratus welcomed her 2nd child into the world. Madison Patricia was born yesterday in Toronto.
- There were rumors that the “Natural Disasters” were going to be inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame this year but that is now up in the air. John “Earthquake” Tenta passed away several years ago from cancer and apparently Fred “Tugboat/Typhoon/Shock Master” Ottman is in bad shape physically with a number of ailments. There was no confirmation that they’d be inducted as it was just a rumor. But if something were to happen to Ottman, then it is unlikely that they go in since Rick Rude is also going in this year and WWE prefers to keep the deceased wrestlers to a minimum.
- Another name that is more likely to be inducted and joining Kurt Angle, Diamond Dallas Page and Rick Rude is none other than former WWE Diva Beth Phoenix. While I am ok with Phoenix getting inducted, there are more worthy talents that should go in including Sable who meant more to the division than Phoenix did despite being a much worse in ring performer. Chyna should have been an absolute certainty of going in but as noted above, WWE wants to keep deceased wrestlers to a minimum and with Rick Rude going in, she isn’t this year.
- Other rumored names for the HOF class is Mike Rotunda, William Regal and Christian. That is a pretty solid Hall of Fame class. I cannot see both Christian and Beth Phoenix going in as I cannot imagine Edge inducting two people. He is definitely going to induct Christian so who does that leave for Beth?
- Tyler Bate has become the new WWE U.K. Champion defeating Pete Dunne in the tournament finals. I did not see the entire tourney, only the finals which was a fantastic match but will eventually go back and check out. Anything in particular should I go back and look out for?
- WWE has already begun pulling their U.K. talents from certain shows especially on FloSports streaming shows this weekend. Pete Dunne was pulled from his match with Matt Riddle this weekend and while he is still working the show, it will be in a dark match and not streamed.
- Triple H confirmed this week that the WWE still plans to forge ahead with a Global Women’s Tournament on the WWE Network. He wants it to be similar to the Cruiserweight Classic and it will take place sometime over the summer. They will use non-televised women’s talent from NXT as well as independent talent from around the globe.
- WWE has decided for some reason to offer lapsed subscribers to the WWE Network the next 3 months for free. That would INCLUDE Wrestlemania should they come back now.
- Apparently WWE is close to finalizing a deal that will have the U.K. promotion ICW airing footage on the WWE Network. It will NOT be live streaming however. Only content on demand from their library meaning that if they have a show next weekend, it won’t air live. It will air the next day or following week. The plan is for the new WWE U.K. Champion to defend the title there as well as other U.K. promotions.
- Best of luck to both Darren Young and Yoshihiro Tajiri as they both suffered injuries this week that will keep them out of action indefinitely. Young was injured in a dark match prior to RAW and later tweeted that he hyperextended his elbow which resulted in a traumatic dislocation. Ugh, that sounds painful. He is expected to miss about 6 months. Tajiri got injured at the last set of NXT tapings with a knee injury that is currently being evaluated.
- Enzo Amore was medically cleared to return and is back in action.
- Hideo Itami was cleared to return as well and is expected back at NXT live events soon. Such a shame that he is likely never going to be able to return to his ability of old. It must pain him to see the success of Nakamura knowing that could have been him.
- Best of luck to former WWE/ECW Star The Sandman as he underwent knee replacement surgery this week.
NXT TAKEOVER SAN ANTONIO is on Saturday, January 28th, 2017 from San Antonio Texas and the line-up is as follows:NXT WORLD TITLE: Shinsuke Nakamura © vs. Bobby RoodeNXT TAG TEAM TITLES: D.I.Y. (Tommaso Ciampa & Johnny Gargano) vs. The Authors of PainNXT WOMEN’S TITLE: Asuka © vs. Nikki Cross vs. Billie Kay vs. Peyton RoyceRoderick Strong vs. Andrade “Cien” AlmasTye Dillinger vs. Eric Young
WWE ROYAL RUMBLE PPV is on Sunday, January 29th, 2017 from San Antonio Texas and the line-up is as follows:ROYAL RUMBLE MATCH: Brock Lesnar / Bill Goldberg / Braun Strowman / Chris Jericho / Kofi Kingston / Big E. / Xavier Woods / Baron Corbin / Seth Rollins / The Undertaker / Dean Ambrose / The Miz / Dolph Ziggler / Randy Orton / Bray Wyatt / Luke Harper / Cesaro / Sheamus /WWE UNIVERSAL TITLE: Kevin Owens © vs. Roman Reigns w/Chris Jericho in a shark cage above the ringWWE TITLE: A.J. Styles © vs. John CenaWE RAW WOMEN’S TITLE: Charlotte © vs. BayleyWWE CRUISERWEIGHT TITLE: Rich Swann © vs. Neville
TNA IMPACT WRESTLING NEWS and NOTES:
- The initials TNA are over with. The promotion will just be called Impact Wrestling going forward. This was an Anthem move as they want to disassociate themselves with TNA.
- Matt Hardy, Jeff Hardy and Drew Galloway all have not a signed new deals with the company as of yet. It is interesting because all three hold Impact titles and in the case of the Hardys, have not dropped them yet. Galloway lost his title but it has not aired on TV yet. Their current deals with Impact end BEFORE the next set of television tapings.
- While Jeff Jarret is still a consultant, it is believed that he is being groomed for a position of power within the company. Amazing.
- Don West has also been brought back to the company to work with merchandise. There is no plans as of now for him to be an on air character.
- For those wondering, Josh Barnett was in fact given permission to wrestle for Impact.
- Has anyone made less of an Impact (No pun intended) than Aron Rex? Remember how everyone was crying how WWE misused him and now was his time to shine?
Ring of Honor / Lucha Underground / Independent / International News and Notes:
- New Japan World has replaced Steve Corino for the English commentary by hiring Don Callis a.k.a. Cyrus to a deal to commentate alongside Kevin Kelly. This is actually a big deal because Callis hiring was done as a favor to Kenny Omega. So New Japan must feel pretty confident of his staying.
- New Japan is looking to expand into the United States like WWE with their plans to expand first into Southern California with a territory there.
- Christopher Daniels won the “Decade of Excellence” tournament and will take on Adam Cole for the title at the anniversary show in Las Vegas.
- The Young Bucks defending the tag team titles against the Hardys will take place on “Supercard of Honor” during Wrestlemania weekend in Orlando. The winner of Daniels vs. Cole will defend the title against Dalton Castle on that show as well.
- Keith Lee is leaving the promotion as he signed a deal with WWN/Evolve. His partner Shane Taylor will be staying with ROH as he signed a new deal with the company.
- Lucha Underground will be airing “Best Of” shows until the 2nd half of the season starts.
- The season ending when it did was a blessing in disguise as Ivelisse is pregnant and will be out of action for some time.
MMA News and Notes:
- If the last several beatings didn’t do the trick, Sunday’s destruction by Yair Rodriquez should have done the trick because B.J. Penn was absolutely DEMOLISHED in what HAS TO BE his final fight for UFC. I get it if B.J. doesn’t want to retire because honestly some fighters just don’t know when to give it up. But for the best interests of his health and well-being, UFC should NEVER let B.J. fight again. It just isn’t worth his safety. Yair annihilated him with an unanswered onslaught of punches.
- Penn hasn’t won a fight since 2010. I think that says all it needs to say.
- Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Tony Ferguson for the INTERIM UFC Lightweight Title is now official. Why interim title you ask when Conor McGregor is champion? That is a good f*cking question because there is no valid reason for it. UFC has just decided that interim titles are what is in and the cool thing to do. Conor is perfectly healthy and can defend the title as soon as he sees fit. Rather than book this as a number one contender’s fight, they decided to strap a belt to it. So dumb.
- Tim Kennedy announced his retirement from MMA on Tuesday via his official Twitter account.
- Johnny Hendricks first fight at middleweight is expected to be on February 19th vs. Hector Lombard. That is absolutely a tough first fight.
- UFC Bantamweight Champion Cody Garbrandt will make his first title defense against T.J. Dillashaw as both have been signed up to coach the latest season of The Ultimate Fighter which begins on April 19th. No word on the exact date of the fight but it would make sense to hold off until July for International Fight Week.
- The cast of TUF will be a bunch of former TUF contestants including past winners.
- Nate Diaz has applied for a boxing license in the state of Nevada. Completely unsure what this means since UFC would absolutely NOT let him box while under contract.
- Amazing that Tyron Woodley is defending his title against Stephen Thompson in a rematch because apparently Nick Diaz turned down a title fight. Crazy.
- Adding insult to injury and further pouring dirt on the grave, Amanda Nunes did an interview with Fox Sports noting that Miesha Tate is a better overall fighter than Ronda Rousey. Ouch.
- Nunes is also looking at challenging for the 145 lb. title once it is settled as she wants to be a 2 division champion like Conor McGregor. Kudos to her as she isn’t as big of a name as she should be despite the win vs. Ronda Rousey so she is doing what she has to do to make a bigger name for herself.
- DOWN GOES STRUVE. He is out of his upcoming fight vs. Junior Dos Santos.
- UFC Heavyweight Champion Stipe Miocic is upset about his current UFC contract as he found out that Alistair Overeem made more money than he did for their fight.
- Chris Weidman will make his return vs. Gegard Mousasi on UFC’s debut in Buffalo New York on April 8th for UFC 210. UFC is looking to make Daniel Cormier vs. Rumble Johnson as the main event of that show.
- Anderson Silva returns to UFC at UFC 208 in Brooklyn vs. Derek Brunson. It will be the co-main event.
- Jon Anik will be replacing Mike Goldberg at the UFC 208 PPV alongside Joe Rogan and Daniel Cormier. Anik is as of now the short term fix until they can get a “name” to take over the spot. Cormier is joining in the 3 man booth to help get him more experience as Rogan has a limited schedule under his new deal.
UFC on FOX 23 is on Saturday, January 28th, 2017 from Denver Colorado and the line-up is as follows:Julianna Pena vs. Valentina ShevchenkoDonald Cerrone vs. Jorge MasvidalAndres Arlovski vs. Francis Ngannou
UFC 208 is on Saturday, February 11th, 2017 from Brooklyn New York and the line-up is as follows:VACANT UFC WOMEN’S FEATHERWEIGHT TITLE: Holly Holm vs. Germaine de RandamieAnderson Silva vs. Derek BrunsonRonaldo “Jacare” Souza vs. Tim BoetschTravis Browne vs. Derrick LewisDustin Poirier vs. Jim Miller
UFC 209 is on Saturday, March 4th, 2017 from Paradise Nevada and the line-up is as follows:UFC WELTERWEIGHT TITLE: Tyron Woodley © vs/ Stephen “Wonderboy” ThompsonINTERIM UFC LIGHTWEIGHT TITLE: Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Tony FergusonAlistair Overeem vs. Mark Hunt
UFC 210 is on Saturday, April 8th, 2017 from Buffalo New York and the line-up is as follows:Chris Weidman vs. Gegard Mousasi
Random Thoughts, Links, Pics, ETC.
- Random VIDEO of the week: Honest Trailer for “Space Jam”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week: Latest Trailer for "The Belko Experiment”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 2: Official Trailer for “I am Michael”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 3: Official Trailer for “The Nut Job 2”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 4: Official Trailer for “The Discovery"
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 5: Official Trailer for “Sleight”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 6: SNL’s Donald Trump Press Conference
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 7: Mike Tyson’s “If You Show Up”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 8: Latest Red Band Trailer for “Logan”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 9: All of the Disney/Pixar Easter Eggs connecting the entire Pixar Universe.
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 10: Latest Trailer for “Power Rangers”
- THIS LINK is for LIFE. Thank you soldiers. WELCOME HOME BLOG
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week: YES!!! I knew she knew about it. No way that she didn’t.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 1: Wow. This is tremendously funny and sad all at the same time. Karma I guess?
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 2: Complaining that they beat him? Dude, you are lucky to be alive.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 3: It is official. The 45th POTUS has been sworn in.
- Random ARTICLE of the week PART 4: For those who watch the ABC show with Kiefer Sutherland, yes there actually is one. It isn’t made up.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 5: Whoops, Good for the 15 year old though.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 6: CTE is a certainty in this case. The NFL is in for a sh*tstorm.
- After entertaining people for over 100 years, Ringling Brothers and Barnum and Bailey circus is being closed. Look, I am going to be blunt and honest with you, I really do not give two sh*ts if animals are mistreated or not by this circus. The fact is that the p*ssification of America has corrupted our minds where even the basic act of discipline is marked as something terrible. I mean honestly, these animals are taken care of with living conditions and food and water and what not. These animals aren’t suffering nor are they complaining and rebelling. They are doing their routine.
- Apparently a script for a live action G.I. Joe 3 involving Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson has been written and it is a crossover with Transformers. Ugh.
- AMC’s “Better Call Saul” returns to television on Monday, April 10th at 10:00 pm ET. Giancarlo Esposito has in fact confirmed that he will be reprising his Breaking Bad role of Gus Fring for season 3.
- ABC has confirmed that actor Patton Oswalt will be returning to “Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D” to reprise his role as the Koenig brothers this season.
- Speaking of S.H.I.E.L.D., another solid episode this week. Best season of the show by FAR although I was a little disappointed by the plot. I wanted The Patriot to be a true hero and Super Soldier. I didn’t like the fact that he was exposed as a fraud.
- Even though the ABC President last week said he was optimistic about the show returning next season, the ratings for this week were an ALL TIME LOW and barely made 2 million viewers. That is NOT a good thing for a prime time show.
- Despite usually never responding to rumors and innuendo, Lucasfilm and Disney issued an official statement that they will NOT be reprising the role of Princess/General Leia via CGI.
- George Clooney’s wife is pregnant with twins. WOW.
- Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson has made a deal with WB/DC in that his Black Adam character will begin in a STAND ALONE film before appearing in a “Shazam” film. He is also believed to be a villain across the WB/DC universe and there are rumors that he may debut in Aquaman first. WB realized that having such a major name as Johnson being a secondary character in a film rather than utilize him more was a mistake and that the need to capitalize on his popularity.
Feel free to discuss whatever you'd like on the “Board" where I can do my best to answer anything you’d like. Also drop a comment in the comment box below as I try my best to answer in a timely fashion. You can also tweet me on the tweeter. I reply there as well. Questions, Corrections, Comments, Feedback or Ideas: EMAIL ME .