Good day to you all and welcome to We Want Insanity. I am your host for today, Matt Dawgs and this is my column. Today is the end of the work week and the time to look back at all the goings-on over the past seven days as I wrap it up with a bow and spout it out bit by bit. Buckle up. Enjoy the ride.
MATT NOTE: R.I.P. to Kevin Hogan (no relation to Hulk), a longtime independent wrestling fan from the North East. I didn’t know him personally but have seen him at a TON of shows over the years. He was well known by a ton of workers in the North East and was said to be a great fan of the business. He was killed in a tragic car accident yesterday morning.
WWE NEWS AND NOTES:
- DOWN GOES ROLLINS...AGAIN. Rollins apparently injured his surgically repaired knee on RAW on Monday during the angle where the debuting Samoa Joe laid him out. It appears he has a slight MCL tear and will be out of action for about 4 – 8 weeks meaning he will be a game time decision for Wrestlemania. In all likelihood, he is going to work through it and be at Mania but it is a tough break for him.
- So Randy Orton has won his 2nd career Royal Rumble match and will compete for the WWE title at Wrestlemania. Look, while I am not 100% ok with the win, I get it. The idea is to add intrigue to as many matches as possible so I am ok with it. The tentative Mania line-up is already set and the show is going to sell regardless of who is in what title match. Plus it does add something to the Orton/Wyatt storyline for those of you who are into it.
- Minus the lack of surprises which is usually a staple of the Rumble match and is something that most people, myself included, look forward to; I thought the Rumble match was solid. Good booking, good showcasing of the right people and good storyline development including Brock and Goldberg. It is always fun however to see a major debut (No offense Tye) or a return from the past for a one time appearance (No offense Mark Henry). WWE really needs to capitalize on those during this show.
- Finn Balor was NOT considered for a spot in the Rumble despite being evaluated last week by WWE physicians because he was NOT medically cleared to return to action.
- Speaking of, both Goldberg and Undertaker despite looking good aesthetically and younger than their age facially did NOT perform like they were younger than their age. Both looked slow and botched a bunch of spots. Taker looked especially bad and it is obvious that he is nowhere near recovered from his hip surgery. Apparently he was in a ton of pain backstage following the PPV and is moving around very gingerly. He isn’t ready to be in the ring and this is not a good thing with Mania right around the corner.
- That James Ellsworth bump out of the Rumble, OUCH.
- And while on the subject of OUCH, Kevin Owens taking that tower of chairs bump, holy sh*t that was insane and should NEVER be duplicated as he could have hurt himself really really badly.
- Congrats to Braun Strowman. WWE has done an excellent job as making him a monster and turning him into something to be seen and also props to Braun for developing as he is "getting it" and starting to turn the corner as a performer and do what needs to be done in the ring.
- John Cena is 16 times World Champion tying Ric Flair as he defeated A.J. Styles in an excellent match, probably the best match they have had against each other and better than their Summerslam match last year which was fantastic. I have read some people say it was better than Kazuchika Okada vs. Kenny Omega. That is an insane statement because it wasn’t. Damn good match though and probably Styles best match since joining WWE.
- Congrats to Chris Jericho as he has set the new record for total time in the Royal Rumble match at almost 5 hours total combined in all of his Royal Rumble events.
- I am still unsure of Tye Dillinger will be full time on the main roster. The assumption is that him coming in at #10 was just done to pacify the crowd because they automatically began chanting "10" as soon as #9 was done coming out.
- Samoa Joe!!! Boom.
- That was a hell of a babyface promo that Triple H cut on RAW when talking about Seth Rollins. By the way, for all of the sh*t Rollins has been speaking about HHH for the past several months, it was sure nice of him to let HHH cut a 15 minute promo and finish his thoughts before coming out to confront him. SMH.
- Glad that Samoa Joe is FINALLY on the main roster and elevated right into a main event angle vs. Seth Rollins as Triple H’s proxy. It is sucky however that he likely won’t be facing John Cena at Wrestlemania as was originally planned. Cena is confirmed to be facing someone else now instead. It is set to be someone that smart fans will not be happy with.
- The heel turn need to come ASAP because Sasha Banks is being BURIED. She was squashed by Nia Jax on the Rumble pre-show on Sunday much of which took place during commercial break and then squashed again on Raw on Monday. Terrible. Also, what the hell was up with that finish on Monday? The bell ringing for no reason and a confused looking referee, terrible.
- Handsome Rusev.
- An interesting story that could have ramifications on RAW as Sami Zayn is of Syrian decent. This means that the recent travel ban could possibly affect him if he leaves the U.S. to go on tour with WWE; he may have difficulty getting back into the country.
- Congrats to Corey Graves as he has officially graduated from NXT. Despite being the lead color commentator for RAW since the draft, Graves has still kept his NXT duties until now. Congrats also goes out to his new full time NXT replacement, Nigel McGuiness.
- EMMALINA IS COING SOON!!!! YAY!!!
- Remember last week when I said that John Cena’s Mania match isn’t going to be something that "smart" fans are going to be happy with? Well apparently they are going with Cena and Nikki Bella vs. Miz and Maryse in a mixed tag.
- Bobby Roode successfully captured the NXT Heavyweight Title from Shinsuke Nakamura at NXT Takeover San Antonio last weekend. While Nakamura is NOT being called up yet and is expected to continue his feud with Roode, Kassius Ohno will be officially returning to television and will feud with Roode in the interim.
- In what was a surprise to me, The Authors of Pain captured the NXT Tag Team titles from D.I.Y. at Takeover. I was fully expecting D.I.Y. to win or lose by D.Q. or something since I feel it was way too soon to take the tag titles off of them but I understand not wanting to beat the Authors so soon in their run. The loss doesn’t hurt Gargano and Ciampa but still, unexpected.
- Akira Tozawa officially debuted for 205 Live and he is a fantastic roster addition to have. If only WWE pushed that roster properly. They have a terrific division with all of the talent that is there.
- WWE has begun reaching out to talents in Asia about the planned Asian tournament they are going to hold. They are checking passport and visa details as well as any contracts they may have with other promotions before they sign them to anything.
- WWE U.K. Champion Tyler Bate made his NXT debut and successfully defended his title at the latest NXT tapings against Oney Lorcan on Wednesday and then to air at a later date, Trent Seven in an excellent match.
- Corey Graves commented his final NXT show this week. He will be replaced full time next week by Nigel McGuiness.
- In an obvious sign that WWE has a ton planned for him over Wrestlemania weekend, Kurt Angle has pulled out of the WrestleCon convention taking place in Orlando that weekend. This does NOT mean he will be working the Mania show, only that he will likely be doing WWE Axxess and other stuff such as filming with WWE production.
- WWE has commissioned new belts for the company starting with the Intercontinental title which will be getting a makeover in the next few weeks. I am under the impression that it will be a slow roll out meaning that the other titles, while getting new looks, won’t be all getting them simultaneously.
- Mick Foley revealed via his official Facebook page that he has once again gotten his health insurance and he will be getting his hip replaced after all. He said he has not set a date yet but will do it when his schedule permits. He also noted that he will in fact have to take time off after the surgery because he will not be allowed to fly for about 6 weeks.
- Mada from the final season of Tough Enough who Hulk Hogan was enamored with has quit the promotion. He was signed back in 2014 shortly after Tough Enough ended to a developmental deal due to his look despite not winning. He had worked NXT live events but NEVER appeared in television.
- Congrats to Nikki Bella as she has been named an executive producer for Total Divas on E!. It is believed that she is going to be transitioning out of in ring competition for the WWE and switch to an ambassador role while pursuing other projects.
- No details as to why yet but WWE has reached out to almost all former female WWE talent who is not contracted to another promotion right now (Maria Kanellis, Gail Kim) about returning to the company Wrestlemania weekend.
- Upon the return to the podcast world, Ric Flair will be joined by a new co-host in Robert Flores formerly of Major League Baseball and ESPN. Flair’s original co-host Conrad Thompson will continue on with his podcast duties with Bruce Prichard which is amazing if you have not listened to.
- Best wishes to WWE Hall of Famer Kevin Nash as he is undergoing surgery this weekend for a torn rotator cuff and labrum. That is usually a 6 – 8 month recovery process.
- Former WWE Superstar A.J. Lee revealed that she suffers from bi-polar disorder and was diagnosed in her early teens way before she began wrestling. More details of this will be revealed in her upcoming auto-biography.
- The Nassau Coliseum in Long Island New York has been renovated (I was at the last RAW in that building two years ago which was the last event held inside) is set to re-open on April 10th with a live Monday Night Raw.
- Despite the next WWE Live Event at Madison Square Garden in New York being a Smackdown Brand show, MSG is advertising a "special attraction" match between WWE Universal Champion Kevin Owens defending the title vs. Brock Lesnar w/Paul Heyman on March 12th.
- Brian Pillman Jr, the youngest child of Brian Pillman is contemplating getting into wrestling. He is currently 23 years old and has no memories of his father as he was only 3 when he passed away. He is looking to train at the Storm Wrestling Academy with Lance Storm. Pillman Jr. will be the 2nd child of Brian to get into the business. Pillman’s daughter Alexis was working on the independent scene before passing away in a car accident at age 26 back in 2009.
- ESPN’s 30 for 30 Documentary on the XFL aired last night and while it is far from the best 30 for 30 they have ever done, it was extremely fascinating to watch. Insane what WWE and NBC went through to try and make it succeed. I actually believe with better planning and thought they may have pulled it off. It was a good idea in concept but major failure in execution on all fronts. Vince’s involvement managed to make it seem more like a circus than a sport and the lack of planning on every single level other than the concept was incredible. The entire product was rushed out just to get something on television when they didn’t lay out all details of the product beforehand.
WWE ELIMINATION CHAMBER PPV is on Sunday, February 12th, 2017 from Phoenix Arizona and the line-up is as follows:ELIMINATION CHAMBER MATCH FOR WWE TITLE: John Cena © vs. A.J. Styles vs. Bray Wyatt vs. Baron Corbin vs. The Miz vs. Dean AmbroseWWE SMACKDOWN WOMEN’S TITLE: Alexa Bliss © vs. NaomiWWE SMACKDOWN TAG TEAM TURMOIL MATCH: American Alpha © vs. The Usos vs. Heath Slater & Rhyno vs. The Ascension vs. Breezango vs. The VaudevilliansNikki Bella vs. Natalya
TNA IMPACT WRESTLING NEWS and NOTES:
Ring of Honor / Lucha Underground / Independent / International News and Notes:
- Rough weekend for Evolve in Chris Hero’s final independent dates before beginning full time with NXT. Their Friday night show was plagued with ring problems as the top ropes broke during the opening match of the show and then after being repaired both the top and middle ropes broke during Hero’s match with Keith Lee.
- Hoping this isn’t an issue of "too little, too late" but Lucha Underground has officially struck a deal with Netflix and season 1 and 2 of the show will be debuting next Wednesday, February 15th.
- The 2nd half of season 3 of Lucha Underground is set to debut on May 31st.
- Apparently Vampiro has also quit AAA as an agent. No word on if he is remaining with the company in another capacity but considering he is still working for Lucha Underground and Dorian Roldan is now in power there, him quitting AAA is interesting.
- Kenny Omega revealed that if he was offered A.J. Styles at Wrestlemania this year, he would have had a lot of difficulty turning down WWE’s offer. He does want to work for WWE one day but feels there is a lot left for him to do and noted that a good friend of his recently turned down a deal by WWE so they could work together this year. He is referring to Kota Ibushi who used to be Omega’s tag team partner and sometimes opponent in DDT in Japan. Omega will be back with New Japan in February to iron out the details of his contract and is expected to sign a one-year deal. He also noted that he plans on returning to Ring of Honor in 2017.
- Kevin Kelly is done as the full time play by play person for Ring of Honor going forward. He also has left his administrative position with the company as he plans on focusing on his commentary work for New Japan Pro Wrestling. He is NOT 100% done with ROH as there are still plans for him to do play by play work in the future but it is on a case by case basis rather than weekly for television and iPPV.
- Tough break for Dave Finlay (Son of WWE’s Fit Finlay) as he tore his labrum and will be out of action in New Japan for about 6 months. He has improved a ton since debuting in New Japan and was really starting to find his stride.
- Thoughts and prayers for former WCW female Daffney as she had neck fusion surgery yesterday. Daffney is one of the nicest females I have ever met in the business and a real down to earth woman. I worked several independent shows with her several years back.
- Jeff and Karen Jarrett are set to work for the CRASH promotion in Mexico which is the promotion that Konnan is booking. This means that once Jarrett is back integrated fully in TNA, a talent exchange will likely be on the horizon.
- New Japan Pro Wrestling has officially launched their English version of their WEBSITE.
MMA News and Notes:
- The career of Ronda Rousey just got one step closer to being over. UFC President Dana White revealed on this week’s UFC Unfiltered Podcast that he spoke to Rousey earlier this week and he believes that she is done fighting. He confirmed it is her decision to make but he believes that the odds are NOT in favor of her returning to the Octagon and thinks she is going to begin living her life outside of MMA.
- Looks like Amanda Nunes got some competition coming her way. Valentina Shevchenko defeated Juliana Pena in the main event of UFC on FOX last week to solidify herself as number one contender to the UFC Women’s Bantamweight Title. Nunes has defeated Shevchenko last year but she has rebounded with two big wins over former champion Holly Holm and now Pena.
- I said it was a dangerous fight and it was. Jorge Masvidal defeated "Cowboy" Donald Cerrone in the co-main event of that Fox show in the 2nd round. Technically he was knocked out to end the 1st round but the referee decided that he was saved by the bell. He came out in the 2nd already out on his feet and it was just easy pickings for Masvidal who finished him quickly.
- While no date has been set yet, Dana White has confirmed that Yoel Romero will be the next person to get a title shot at Michael Bisping’s Middleweight Championship.
- White also confirmed that Jon Jones will face the winner of Daniel Cormier vs. Anthony Johnson in the future despite Cormier’s claims that if he wins, he isn’t fighting Jones unless Jones proves he can stay out of trouble and take a warm up fight first.
- Is this coincidence since it looks like Ronda isn’t fighting again? Amanda Nunes released the following statement earlier this week: "Let me take a moment to explain myself. I was overwhelmed with adrenaline, emotion and hurt at the time. I held so much in during the weeks prior to my fight with Ronda. I might have said or posted some things at the time that I now realize was not the right thing to do. I want to apologize to Ronda. Her fans and mine and the UFC as well. Ronda is an amazing athlete and has done so much for this sport, especially for the women. #respect"
- While I still do not believe it will happen until both men are in the ring on fight night face to face, there seems to be a LOT of traction in a possible boxing match between Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor. So much so that Mayweather has claimed that he believes the fight will take place and McGregor noted during a Q&A last weekend that he is fairly confident that his next fight will be vs. Mayweather.
- McGregor has started up his own promotion titled McGregor Promotions. He plans on promoting his own fights and events in the future. The main reason behind this line of thinking is that if he chooses to box then UFC will be unable to prevent him from doing so because of the "Ali Act" which protects fighters from being screwed over by promoters.
- UFC’s Gegard Mousasi is likely going to be affected by the travel ban implemented by President Trump. Mousasi is of Iranian decent and currently lives in the Netherlands. Due to his being born in Iran, he will likely be stopped from entering the United States.
- C.M. Punk announced this week that he has been tossing out possible names of opponents to Dana White for his next fight and that if Dana chooses to not use him any longer, he does plan on fighting again elsewhere.
- "The Korean Zombie" Chang Sung Jung returns to UFC this weekend vs. Dennis Bermudez on FS-1. I thought this was an error but after checking, I have not realized that he has not fought MMA in over 3 YEARS!!! I know he hasn’t fought recently but 3 and 1/2 years feels like forever. He has been serving in the military in South Korea. He last fought in August 2013 suffering a loss to Jose Aldo.
- Bye bye to Ricardo Abreau, a UFC fighter currently serving a 2-year suspension for a failed drug test. He apparently failed a 2nd drug test while under suspension on December 21st thus will have another 4 years added to his current 2 year ban. That would be a 6 year ban before he can fight again. Considering he is 32 years old, it is unlikely he will be able to return as he suspension will likely end in 2022.
- Ryan Bader has noted that he plans on signing with Bellator soon.
- Speaking of Bellator debuts, Josh Koscheck is scheduled to make his on February 18th. He really should have retired.
- Quinton "Rampage" Jackson has noted that his scheduled fight with Mohammed "King Mo" Lawal on March 31st in Chicago is his last contracted fight with Bellator and that he will be leaving the promotion following the fight, win or lose. He will retire from MMA, go back to UFC or go into a project that he has in the works. He will not be returning to Bellator.
UFC 208 is on Saturday, February 11th, 2017 from Brooklyn New York and the line-up is as follows:VACANT UFC WOMEN’S FEATHERWEIGHT TITLE: Holly Holm vs. Germaine de RandamieAnderson Silva vs. Derek BrunsonRonaldo "Jacare" Souza vs. Tim BoetschDustin Poirier vs. Jim Miller
UFC 209 is on Saturday, March 4th, 2017 from Paradise Nevada and the line-up is as follows:UFC WELTERWEIGHT TITLE: Tyron Woodley © vs/ Stephen "Wonderboy" ThompsonINTERIM UFC LIGHTWEIGHT TITLE: Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Tony FergusonAlistair Overeem vs. Mark Hunt
UFC 210 is on Saturday, April 8th, 2017 from Buffalo New York and the line-up is as follows:UFC LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE: Daniel Cormier © vs. Anthony "Rumble" JohnsonChris Weidman vs. Gegard Mousasi
Random Thoughts, Links, Pics, ETC.
- Random VIDEO of the week: Latest Trailer for Disney’s "Beauty and the Beast"
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week: Honest Trailer for "Shrek"
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 2: Official Trailer for Netflix "Imperial Dreams"
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 3: How Dr. Strange should have ended.
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 4: Official Trailer for "The Loft"
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 5: NFL Bad Lip Reading 2017.
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 6: Super Bowl Trailer for "Ghost in the Shell"
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 7: NEXT WEEK!!!!!
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 8: Lego Batman shows off his home.
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 9: Best of Sesame Street on Robot Chicken. I don’t know why this show doesn’t get way more love than it does.
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 10: Best of Batman on Robot Chicken.
- THIS LINK is for LIFE. Thank you soldiers. WELCOME HOME BLOG
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week: This isn’t good. It isn’t easy to get into a prison to rescue them.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 1: Can you believe that I got a CNN "Breaking News" text message for this?
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 2: I don’t get high school kids today. This isn’t hazing. Hazing is practical jokes. This is sick and it happens a lot.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 3: Apparently running the most powerful country in the world isn’t enough. He needs to have a war of words with another celebrity. SMH.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 4: This is terrible. I don’t know what I would do if this was my kid. Man, so scary.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 5: Admittedly I am not a Trump supporter but this here is insanity and she should be fired. It’s your f*cking job dumb ass. You should do it and be a patriot regardless of your political feelings. Be better.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 6:
BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 7:
BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 8:
BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 9:
BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 10:
- Hollywood coming in hot next week as both John Wick: Chapter 2 and Lego Batman are opening. I actually plan on seeing both next weekend.
- No matter what they do or try or who they hire, they will NEVER get it right. Ben Affleck announced via press release that he will NOT be directing "The Batman" for WB/DC and will remain as the star and a producer for the film. Jesus H. Christ. This company. They still don’t have a director locked in for The Flash yet as they are now on their 3rd director to date.
- Actress Nicole Kidman has joined the cast of WB’s "Aquaman" as Arthur Curry’s (Aquaman’s) mother Atlanna.
- Joining Kidman is actor Temuera Morrison as he has begun talks to join Aquaman as Arthur Curry’s human father. He is best known for playing the role of Jango Fett and the clone army in the Star Wars prequels.
- In keeping with the tradition of hiring actors from previous incarnations of their characters shows, Supergirl has announced that actress Teri Hatcher who played Lois Lane "The Adventures of Lois and Clark" fame will be joining the show as a villain. She joins fellow Lois and Clark co-star Dean Cain who played Clark/Superman as he currently plays Supergirl’s adoptive father.
- So Oliver Queen just happens to find a meta human who gained the "canary cry" during the Central City particle accelerator explosion that is gifted in hand to hand combat and is a former police officer that happens to share the name of the original Black Canary in the comics and the same first name as Laurel. What’s wrong with that? LOL.
- Flash was good and Legends of Tomorrow has been fun. So has Supergirl. Amazing to see that C.W. can do so much more with the DC universe than the movie division can.
- The latest offering from the Greg Berlanti DC Universe, "Black Lightning" is now eyeing a pick up by the CW Network. This will be Berlanti’s 5th show on the station and will likely be entered into the Arrow-verse alongside Flash, Legends of Tomorrow and Supergirl. Originally the show was supposed to be separate from the CW shows but Fox, the originally planned home has passed on the show.
- Marvel has cast Olivia Holt and Aubrey Joseph as "Cloak and Dagger" for the upcoming show on Freeform.
- Officially declaring Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. the best comic book based show on television today. That is including Netflix. The writing has been top notch. I would hate to see this show get cancelled.
- Beating a dead horse as badly as you can. SyFy has greenlit Sharknado #5!!!!!
Feel free to discuss whatever you'd like on the "Board" where I can do my best to answer anything you’d like. Also drop a comment in the comment box below as I try my best to answer in a timely fashion. You can also tweet me on the tweeter. I reply there as well. Questions, Corrections, Comments, Feedback or Ideas: EMAIL ME .