Good day to you all and welcome to We Want Insanity. I am your host for today, Matt Dawgs and this is my column. Today is the end of the work week and the time to look back at all the goings-on over the past seven days as I wrap it up with a bow and spout it out bit by bit. Buckle up. Enjoy the ride.
MATT NOTE: #AlternativeFacts
WWE NEWS AND NOTES:
- Despite the hate that the company still gets, business has never been better. WWE reported their highest revenue ever as they made $792.2 million last year and last quarter they made $33.8 million in profit. That is up from $24 million a year ago. Incredible.
- The stock closed at $20.96 yesterday which puts WWE’s market cap at well over $1.5 billion. For those wondering, Vince McMahon is a billionaire.
- Goldberg vs. Brock Lesnar is official for Wrestlemania.
- Lesnar was backstage at RAW on Monday as was Paul Heyman but were never used on television. Instead they did a dark match segment after RAW went off the air involving Big Show. It was a total waste of one of his limited dates.
- RAW was a solid show which established Samoa Joe as a player in the main event picture.
- The Chris Jericho vs. Kevin Owens feud is going to be HUGE. As I have said a million times, when Jericho puts Owens on the list, WOW.
- “Tom Brady, YOU’RE GOING ON THE LIST!!!”
- If you are wondering why Goldberg’s segments have been good and helpful in getting him over, it is because Paul Heyman is responsible for them. As for Raw on Monday, the awesome Owens/Jericho/Goldberg segment was mostly done by Jericho and Jimmy Jacobs who has been the main agent for Owens/Jericho stuff.
- Goldberg writing his name on the list was awesome.
- “The Festival of Friendship” next week on RAW. Is it wrong that I am hyped for this?
- I cannot believe WWE succeeded in making Braun Strowman a monster. Even I have bought into him. Plus he is improving in his role. He knows what he is good at and doesn’t exceed that. He hides his limitations well.
- They NEED to turn Roman Reigns. Enough is enough already. He can carry himself well in a heel role and he is more than competent as a worker. Plus if he is going with Taker at Mania, he has to play heel. No way can WWE think he is going to get any sort of positive reaction against Taker.
- Charlotte is the best. I am ok with her always being champion. As much as I like Bayley and she deserves a run on top, Charlotte is just so good.
- To reiterate, putting cruiserweights on RAW is a good idea because it establishes them to a wider audience than 205 Live and they can showcase their talents. But putting them on Raw in 3 minutes matches is a complete waste of time and does nothing for anyone. Tozawa debuting in a 3 minute match is useless.
- Speaking of Wrestlemania, WWE is currently uncertain on the status of Seth Rollins and his ability to wrestle at Mania this year. Rollins is expected to be in Birmingham Alabama at Dr. James Andrew’s clinic all week long rehabbing and being evaluated. At the current time, his Mania status is undetermined by WWE is treating it as he will NOT be on the show.
- Congratulations to the Rock & Roll Express as they have been named as Hall of Fame inductees for the 2017 HOF class.
- 2017 Hall of Famer Kurt Angle noted that he has in fact spoken to HHH about wrestling after Wrestlemania weekend but nothing has been finalized other than an initial discussion. They just left it open for now.
- EMMALINA!!! NEXT WEEK?!?!?!!!!!
- While the rumors of Nikki Bella retiring at Wrestlemania after her mixed tag match with John Cena appear to false, she is suffering from more neck problems due to her surgery and will be taking time off following Mania. Her injury is apparently still causing numbness in her body and she is being given less of a schedule until Mania. Her contract does expire after Wrestlemania however with her being named an executive producer for Total Divas as well as all of her outside projects, I fully expect her to stay with the company.
- Gran Metalik is finally coming to 205 Live. It is about goddamn time. I don’t know why WWE decided to slow the rollout of the bigger and more talented names in the division. I can’t wait till he debuts on RAW in a 2 minute match. That was sarcasm by the way.
- Austin Aries has been medically cleared to wrestle and the expected plan is for him and Neville to wrestle for the Cruiserweight title at Wrestlemania meaning he will be a tweener/babyface instead of a full blown heel.
- WWE has signed a deal with Dana Warrior regarding future merchandising and use of the Ultimate Warrior name as well as her continuing to be a part of the annual Hall of Fame Warrior Award.
- Congrats to Sonjay Dutt as he was in Orlando all of last week at the WWE Performance Center as a guest trainer. He is one of the nicest guys in the business.
- Hideo Itami is expected back full time in NXT soon. He has been dropping hints via Twitter about his return. I hope to god that he gets the opportunity he deserves and can now come back strong and injury free.
- WWE FUN FACT: John Cena wrestled Randy Orton on Smackdown this week despite WWE saying they’d never wrestle again several years ago. Anyway, that isn’t the fun fact. Despite wrestling a million times against each other, this week’s match was the FIRST TIME in their careers that they had a singles match against each other in Smackdown history. What are the odds?
- WWE held a HUGE tryout last week in Orlando with over 40 athletes, MMA fighters and independent wrestlers attending. The most notable name was Lei Tapa, daughter of Haku formerly of TNA and Lance Anoi’a which you know what family he is from.
- Eric Rowan has been at the WWE Performance Center training. He is expected back soon from rotator cuff surgery.
- Congrats to WWE Hall of Famer Bret “Hitman” Hart as he announced that he is 100% recovered from prostate cancer.
- Thoughts and prayers go out to former WWE announcer/General Manager Mike Adamle as he announced earlier this week that he has been suffering from epileptic seizures for about 19 years now and he has officially been diagnosed with dementia and likely has CTE from his years of football but cannot be officially diagnosed until he is dead and his brain can be examined. He has been off his normal NBC Chicago news desk job for several weeks now due to this and likely will be unable to return. His memory is hazy and he needs to travel with a fanny pack at all times that has his ID, phone, keys and a paper with his information (address and telephone number) in the event that he forgets that information. He is no longer allowed to drive a vehicle and do the usual things he used to do prior to diagnosis. Such a terrible STORY. This could also be part of the explanation as to why he had issues commentating in WWE.
- WWE Hall of Famer Tamara “Sunny” Sytch was released from a Pennsylvania correctional facility last weekend. She had been held there without bail since early September of 2016. She was released due to a plea deal she reached which will once again put her in WWE sponsored rehab.
- Thoughts and prayers go out to former WWWF star Ivan Koloff as his family announced that he is battling liver cancer.
- The daughter of WWE Hall of Famer Andre the Giant was backstage at Smackdown this week.
- Best of luck for former WWE Star Tommy Dreamer as he was almost completely blinded in his left eye in a freak accident at home. His dog scratched him in the eye cutting his cornea. Wow.
- For anyone who has been questioning themselves as to why Paige is still employed, I think THIS IS YOUR ANSWER. Dwayne Johnson is co-producing and financing the film with WWE Studios and he will also make a cameo as himself in the film. Due to this, it is likely that Paige will be bulletproof for the immediate future since WWE isn’t going to jeopardize having the Rock on board for one of their films.
- Paige also noted earlier this week that she is considering trying MMA. While I don’t think she could be very successful at it since she has no combat background, she is young enough to begin training and eventually make the switch down the road. She is not expected to be medically cleared to wrestling until April the earliest thus missing Wrestlemania or in May.
- WWE films is also negotiating to become the United States distributor for “Birth of a Dragon” which is the upcoming biopic of Bruce Lee that I posted the trailer for several months ago.
WWE ELIMINATION CHAMBER PPV is THIS SUNDAY from Phoenix Arizona and the line-up is as follows:WWE TITLE IN AN ELIMINATION CHAMBER MATCH: John Cena © vs. A.J. Styles vs. Bray Wyatt vs. The Miz vs. Baron Corbin vs. WWE Intercontinental Champion Dean AmbroseWWE TAG TEAM TURMOIL MATCH FOR SMACKDOWN TAG TEAM TITLES: American Alpha (Jason Jordan & Chad Gable) © vs. Heath Slater & Rhyno vs. Breezango (Tyler Breeze & Fandango) vs. The Usos (Jimmy & Jey Uso) vs. The Ascension (Konnor & Viktor) vs. The Vaudevillians (Aiden English & Simon Gotch)WWE SMACKDOWN WOMEN’S TITLE: Alexa Bliss © vs. NaomiNikki Bella vs. NatalyaBecky Lynch vs. Mickie JamesRandy Orton vs. Luke HarperHANDICAP MATCH: Dolph Ziggler vs. Apollo Crews & Kalisto
TNA IMPACT WRESTLING NEWS and NOTES:
- According to sources, Jeff Jarrett is officially running TNA from a day to day perspective and is the head of creative for Impact Wrestling alongside Dutch Mantell. John “Big” Gaburick is still with the company but is no longer a part of the creative process. Jeff’s creative vision going forward will begin with the next set of Impact Tapings in March.
- Former TNA creative member Scott D’Amore is back as well under Jarrett and will be part of the creative process.
- Jarrett has already worked out a deal with Mexico’s “Crash” Promotion on a talent exchange. “Crash” is booked by former TNA star and AAA booker Konnan. They have also come into a working arrangement with Pro Wrestling NOAH in Japan.
- The more things change.........
- Drew Galloway, Matt Hardy and Jeff Hardy are the remaining 3 people who have not signed new contracts with Impact. All 3 contracts either have expired or are close to expiring soon. It is believed that Matt and Jeff will likely remain with Impact so long as they get to keep their creative control. If Jeff Jarrett were to remove that control from them, then in all likelihood they will entertain WWE and whatever offer they have. WWE is in fact interested in both of them returning to the promotion however there is zero chance they will have the same creative freedom that they had with TNA. Galloway on the other hand is up in the air. He is content making his own bookings and Impact no longer plans on allowing that going forward.
- Spike TV, the former home of TNA Impact (and WWE Raw before it) and current home and owner of Bellator MMA is being rebranded and will soon be known as Paramount TV.
Ring of Honor / Lucha Underground / Independent / International News and Notes:
- Looks like Donovan Dijak is not long for Ring of Honor as he will be wrestling for EVOLVE over Wrestlemania weekend in Orlando. He is NOT under contract to ROH hence why he is able to work this show. ROH isn’t keen on their talents working EVOLVE so I don’t expect him to be with ROH much longer. It is amazing that he also released a video online talking about his upcoming TV title match this weekend for ROH while noting that it is likely his last ROH match for the foreseeable future. Um...spoilers much?
- I hear that the Kazuchika Okada title defense vs. Minoru Suzuki last week in Japan was amazing. Not Okada/Omega amazing but a completely different style match that was well booked from a drama standpoint.
- Add Zorro to the list of names of guys who had left AAA for “Crash”. He had been with AAA for the last 16 years.
- AAA is continuing the trend of trademarking names the guys who left are now using including Penta 0M for the former Pentagon. He is now going by the name Penta Zero M which has also now been trademarked by AAA. Why guys still continue to announce new names without trademarking them first is beyond me. SMH.
MMA News and Notes:
- Korean Zombie!!! WOW!!! 3 Years off from MMA and didn’t miss a beat in stopping Dennis Bermudez by knock out. Incredible.
- Amazing how this worked out. Junior Dos Santos was scheduled to face Stefan Struve at a UFC Fight Night. Struve had to cancel due to injury. Due to this, Dos Santos was pulled from the card and will now get a UFC Heavyweight title fight for his troubles against Stipe Miocic. WOW. The fight will take place on May 13th in Dallas Texas.
- Despite being booked this weekend for the vacant UFC Women’s Featherweight title at 145lbs. both Holly Holm and Germaine de Randamie have both stated in interviews this week that they would both prefer to fight at 135 lbs. SMH. Boy did UFC drop the ball on this division especially with Cris “Cyborg” Justino likely to miss a year of action due to suspension.
- Ari Emanuel and Dana White plan on hosting a UFC 2-day fight summit in Las Vegas in May with the entire UFC roster scheduled to attend. They plan on discussing the future of the company under the new management as well as introduce the “UFC Fight Institute” which will be the new UFC gym in Vegas where the entire roster will be able to train and rehabilitate injuries free of charge. There will also be seminars and several clients of WME-IMG from sports, movies, music and entertainment will also be on hand.
- The Ultimate Fighter’s next season begins filming next week with UFC Bantamweight Champion Cody Gardbrant and T.J. Dillashaw as coaches. Both men will fight on PPV once the season is done.
- The issue with Rashad Evans not being allowed to fight due to a “medical condition” was that he had corrective eye surgery and the New York State Athletic Commission refused to medically clear him. Ontario Canada’s Commission did the same but he has been medically cleared to be allowed to fight in Las Vegas. It sucks that he missed out on the MSG pay day due to this because this really is a non-issue.
- Frankie Edgar has one fight left on his current contract but I think it is pretty safe to say that he isn’t going anywhere.
- Former UFC star Rory MacDonald will make his Bellator MMA debut on May 19th London event vs. Paul Daley.
- UFC has officially passed on matching Bellator’s offer to Ryan Bader so he is going to be joining Bellator.
UFC 208 is TOMORROW NIGHT from Brooklyn New York and the line-up is as follows:VACANT UFC WOMEN’S FEATHERWEIGHT TITLE: Holly Holm vs. Germaine de RandamieAnderson Silva vs. Derek BrunsonRonaldo “Jacare” Souza vs. Tim BoetschDustin Poirier vs. Jim Miller
UFC 209 is on Saturday, March 4th, 2017 from Paradise Nevada and the line-up is as follows:UFC WELTERWEIGHT TITLE: Tyron Woodley © vs/ Stephen “Wonderboy” ThompsonINTERIM UFC LIGHTWEIGHT TITLE: Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Tony FergusonAlistair Overeem vs. Mark Hunt
UFC 210 is on Saturday, April 8th, 2017 from Buffalo New York and the line-up is as follows:UFC LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE: Daniel Cormier © vs. Anthony “Rumble” JohnsonChris Weidman vs. Gegard Mousasi
UFC 211 is on Saturday, May 13th, 2017 from Dallas Texas and the line-up is as follows:UFC HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE: Stipe Miocic © vs. Junior Dos Santos
Random Thoughts, Links, Pics, ETC.
- Random VIDEO of the week: Latest Trailer for Marvel’s/Netflix “Iron Fist”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week: Super Bowl Trailer for “John Wick: Chapter 2”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 2: Super Bowl Trailer for “Transformers 5: The Last Knight”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 3: Official Trailer for “Personal Shopper”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 4: The SNL “Sean Spicer Press Conference”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 5: Super Bowl Trailer for “Life”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 6: Final Trailer for Disney’s “Beauty and the Beast”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 7: Super Bowl Trailer for “Logan”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 8: Super Bowl Trailer for “The Fate of the Furious”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 9: Super Bowl Trailer for “Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 10: Official Trailer for “Aftermath”
- THIS LINK is for LIFE. Thank you soldiers.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week: "CashMeOussideHowBoutDah" isn’t a gimmick apparently. It is a lifestyle.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 2: So this is pretty stupid. Damn dude, have some common sense no?
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 3: Sucks that they had a deadline to get out a national newspaper since the local one was later. By the way, why is print newspapers still a thing in 2017?
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 4: This confession is totally NOT suspect at all. Sure he was a "person of interest" since the crime was committed in August. Of course he has some sort of "paranoid schizophrenia". Definitely nothing suspect about his lawyer NOT being present for the confession. Nope, nothing wrong here at all.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 5: What the f*ck? This is a movie waiting to be made. Sick animal. WOW.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 6: Wow, this dude really wanted her dead huh? Pretty crazy to plot this for 6 whole months.
BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 7: Damn, what an idiot!! LOL.
BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 8: This could have been a completely different story for the Spears family. God bless that it didn’t end up as tragic as it could have. Sadly my wife knows a family who lost a 7 year old last year due to a similar accident. Kids aren’t meant to ride ATV’s.
BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 9: I don’t know, maybe it is just me but shouldn’t people be bending over backwards to fix this? Like NOW.
BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 10: BRUTAL!!! OUCH!!!!
- Remember a few weeks ago when I mentioned that "World War Z 2" was set to be released on June 9, 2017 and I mentioned my shock to this since I had not known it was filming let alone had a release date? As it turns out, I was 100% right. The film has been taken off the release docket which is pretty smart considering they do not have a director nor have they shot a single frame of film yet.
- I don’t even know what to say to this but apparently there is a petition to have Zack Snyder direct “The Batman” now that Ben Affleck has stepped down. WTF?
- Speaking of the Batman, the script is apparently finished.
- Piece Brosnan is reportedly in discussions to assume the role of Cable in Deadpool 2. I am not ok with this.
- Marvel/Hulu has cast for their upcoming "Marvel: Runaways” show starting with Buffy the Vampire Slayer/Angel veteran James Marsters (Spike) as the father of the family. His wife will be played by 24 vet Annie Wersching.
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is still fantastic. It is such a well written show and whoever it was that thought of the idea of splitting the season into arcs is GENIUS.
- The CW Universe is also doing well. While the shows are not as good as S.H.I.E.L.D. they are still very well done and I am happy with the fact that the shows are not all "Big Bad All The Time" and instead the Big Bad’s of each show is pretty much in the background. Rather than spend all of their time relying on how to cram the Big Bad into each and every episode, it is established that the Big Bad is around but other stuff is happening too.
- 24: Legacy is up and rolling. I don’t LOVE it but definitely don’t hate it either. It is good. I see the potential in it and the action is exciting. It is however paint by numbers 24 style with the mole, the questionable decisions by CTU, etc.
- I did not get to see FX’s "Legion" yet but am getting mixed reviews on it. Some said it was excellent others said it was pretty boring. I will check it out and give episode 2 a chance as well before I decide to pull the plug.
- NBC’s "Powerless", thoughts? Worth giving a shot? Heard it is pretty bad.
Feel free to discuss whatever you'd like on the “Board” where I can do my best to answer anything you’d like. Also drop a comment in the comment box below as I try my best to answer in a timely fashion. You can also tweet me on the tweeter. I reply there as well. Questions, Corrections, Comments, Feedback or Ideas: Dawgs@wewantinsanity.com.”>EMAIL ME .