Good day to you all and welcome to We Want Insanity. I am your host for today, Matt Dawgs and this is my column. Today is the end of the work week and the time to look back at all the goings-on over the past seven days as I wrap it up with a bow and spout it out bit by bit. Buckle up. Enjoy the ride.
MATT NOTE: Super tough week for wrestling fans. R.I.P. to Chavo Guerrero Sr. a.k.a. Chavo Classic as he passed away last weekend at age 68 due to advanced liver cancer. He was completely unaware that he had it and was diagnosed in January. When he was given his diagnosis, he was told that it was advanced and there was nothing that could be done. He moved into hospice care a few weeks back and informed his family to not let anyone know.
R.I.P. also goes out to WWE Hall of Famer George “The Animal” Steele as he passed away from kidney failure this morning at age 79. He had been ill for some time with various ailments and his daughter posting via Facebook earlier this week that things were not looking promising and it was only a matter of time.
An R.I.P. also goes out to former WWE Personality Nicole Bass as she passed away due to complications from a stroke she suffered a few weeks ago. Bass was 52 years old.
WWE NEWS AND NOTES:
- Congrats to Bray Wyatt for capturing the WWE World Title at Elimination Chamber on Sunday in what was a solid match. Wyatt vs. Orton will take place at Wrestlemania. I just hope they don’t take the title from him and let Wyatt run with the ball and keep the title for a few months.
- Not sure where they are going with this Bray Wyatt vs. Randy Orton feud that is eventually happening. I still don’t get if Orton is playing the long con or he is just brainwashed. I guess this is supposed to be what the Daniel Bryan feud was a few years back? Orton is refusing to accept his Mania title bout against Wyatt? A battle royal to determine the new #1 contender is expected to be announced. Is it going to end up a 3-way now? What the hell?
- If you didn’t watch the PPV, go back and watch Orton vs. Harper which was amazing as well as the EC match which was one of the best EC matches ever.
- Naomi also won first time gold as she captured the WWE Smackdown Women’s title from Alexa Bliss. Congrats to her as it is well deserved. She isn’t the best women’s wrestler on the roster but she has worked extremely hard over the years to improve and she always shook things up as far as her appearance, gimmick, attitude and work ethic in order to be noticed. They booked the title switch since she is from Orlando and it will make her the “hometown hero” for Wrestlemania this year meaning she will hold the title until then in order to defend it.
- Nice subtle build to John Cena and Nikki Bella vs. Miz and Maryse when Nikki was fighting with Natalya backstage and powder got dumped all over Maryse thus causing her not to be able to accompany Miz in the main event. It wasn’t followed up on at the Elimination Chamber PPV but it happened therefore they did it to keep it there for the future.
- Not sure where the disconnect was but it was mentioned on commentary during Elimination Chamber that Mickie James has ring rust due to not wrestling in over 7-years since she left WWE. Then, later during the James/Lynch match JBL randomly mentioned that James had been wrestling elsewhere for the last 7 years. For some reason either WWE just decided that it sounded real stupid to mention that she has been out of the ring that long or they realized that their audience wasn’t stupid so they shouldn’t say that anymore.
- Holla playa!! Teddy Long into the 2017 WWE Hall of Fame.
- Congrats to Bayley for capturing her 1st WWE RAW Women’s Championship. Now while I certainly wouldn’t have had her win it on RAW and they should have saved it for Wrestlemania, it was definitely a good moment and a fantastic match between her and Charlotte. It also gets Charlotte one step closer to catching her father’s 16 title wins as she will likely win the title back in 3 weeks at the “Fastlane” PPV since she is undefeated on PPV events.
- TREMENDOUS break up of Chris Jericho and Kevin Owens. Whoever wrote that deserves a medal. Everything about the “Festival of Friendship” was fantastic but the break-up was especially well done. “A new list!!! I needed one. It’s been pretty banged up of late due to the wear and tear on it. Wait, why is my name on the list?” Absolutely tremendous.
- EMMALINA HAS ARRIVED!!!! And now she is gone. Back to Emma we go. Apparently according to sources, WWE officials wanted Emmalina to be similar to Sable in character but after several rehearsals, they realized that Emma could not pull it off so it was scrapped. They still want the gimmick so it will be back burnered for now and used on someone else in the future. Meanwhile heel Emma is returning. Same gimmick she had when she left.
- I am all in on Braun Strowman. He has the part down and knows his role well. They need to keep protecting him but his character is great so far. I can’t believe they pulled it off.
- “Re-design, Re-Build, Re-Injure” ~ Samoa Joe. He is GREAT as a heel. Problem is, you don’t want fans cheering “Joe, Joe, Joe” as his music is playing and popping loudly as he is beating up one of your main babyfaces.
- The Creator. Honestly, since his debut with the company, how many goddamn nicknames has Triple H had?
- Seed planting continues for A.J. Styles vs. Shane McMahon at Wrestlemania. As I have noted previously, while A.J. could have a much better opponent for Mania, at least he is getting a “main event” match rather than a throwaway that people will forget about.
- While there is no confirmation of doing anything at Wrestlemania, it is believed by many in the company that an agreement has been made for Kurt Angle to wrestle for WWE in the near future.
- I don’t know how much truth to this there is but WWE Hall of Famer Jim Ross noted that he heard that John Cena will be inducing Kurt Angle into the WWE Hall of Fame. Should have went with Austin in my opinion.
- John Cena’s schedule is getting more and more limited. He is not expected to be around following Wrestlemania including the Smackdown show immediately following the PPV.
- Former WWE Diva Kelly Kelly was backstage at RAW on Monday in Las Vegas making it the first time she has returned to the WWE since her departure from the company over 4 years ago. She, along with several other former female wrestlers were contacted about appearing at Wrestlemania this year in some fashion.
- Linda McMahon has been officially approved and sworn in as administrator for small business administration under President Donald Trump. AMAZING!!
- Vince McMahon was in Washington all weekend with his wife Linda and did NOT attend the Elimination Chamber PPV nor did he attend Raw or Smackdown.
- WWE is looking to tour both the European brand as well as 205 Live in 2017. That would mean that most weekends WWE will have 6 touring shows at a time with Raw, Smackdown, NXT A-Team, NXT B-Team (only tours Florida), 205 Live and Europe Tour. Wow.
- After a 10 year WWE career, WWE Superstar Rosa Mendes has announced her retirement from professional wrestling. The announcement coincided with her daughter’s first birthday. Essentially she has been retired since she found out she was pregnant. She hadn’t wrestled or been on TV for several months before that but was still a cast member of “Total Divas”. Once she found out she was pregnant, she has been gone since. That was April 2015; so almost 2 full years.
- It is believed that former WWE Superstar Alberto Del Rio and his fiancé WWE Superstar Paige are expected to announce a day in May as their wedding date.
- WWE is teaming up with Bill Simmons and HBO Sports on a documentary on WWE Hall of Famer Andre the Giant.
- Both Tessa Blanchard and Thea Trinidad have been cast in roles in “Fighting with My Family” which is the film based on WWE Superstar Paige’s life being produced by WWE and Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson’s “7 Bucks Entertainment”.
- Also, actor Vince Vaughn has been tapped for a role in the film. He plays an aging wrestling star from the 80’s who squandered his money.
- The “Fighting with my Family” film will be shooting scenes at the Staples Center in Los Angeles both before and after RAW on Monday. No word on whether The Rock will be in town but if he is, expect him to make some sort of appearance on RAW.
- The WWE Network is cancelling “Legends with JBL” following the next show with Jimmy Hart.
- Apparently Vader’s 2-year time frame that he was given to live due to heart failure has gotten significantly smaller. He tweeted out on Wednesday the following: ”As I enter my final days, proud of the Father Son Brother Football Player Pro-Wrestler Super Heay Big man GOAT. I’m Grateful for the time.” So it doesn’t look like he has much longer to go. Sad to see.
WWE FASTLANE PPV is on Sunday, March 5th, 2017 from Milwaukee Wisconsin and the line-up is as follows:WWE UNIVERSAL TITLE: Kevin Owens © vs. GoldbergRoman Reigns vs. Braun StrowmanWWE CRUISERWEIGHT TITLE: Neville © vs. Jack Gallagher
TNA IMPACT WRESTLING NEWS and NOTES:
- TNA writer Matt Conway is no longer with the promotion. He was the guy who wrote most of the shows after John “Big” Gaburick’s allies. Writing on the wall.
- Jeff Jarrett has met with ITV officials in the U.K. regarding the World of Sport wrestling show so more television moves and alliances with other promotions are in the works.
- Despite no new contracts yet, Matt Hardy, Jeff Hardy and Drew Galloway are all expected at the March television tapings. Their current contracts have expired.
- Josh Matthews is the best play by play man in all of wrestling. Don’t believe him? Just ask him. He will tell you that no one can touch him when it comes to announcing. Yes, he really said this on video and was 100% serious about it. SMH.
- So Impact apparently aired a match on Impact last night, which I did not see, that involved the Hardys taking on Super Crazy & Psicosis for the “Mexican Tag Team Titles”. This match took place a few weeks back in the “Crash” promotion that Konnan books for. The Hardys won the match and the titles thus continuing their quest to take over the globe winning titles in every promotion they go to. Amazingly enough though, the referee of the match was Marty Elias and since Elias is under contract to Lucha Underground, LU threated legal action against Impact for having their contracted talent on their television. So Impact aired the match and had Elias digitized for the entire match. When the card was booked by Konnan, he made it a point to not let any LU talents work anything involving talent from Impact due to this but did not think about the referee. The reason Elias was referring this match is because he is bilingual and is used in all Crash matches that involve Americans vs. Mexicans.
Ring of Honor / Lucha Underground / Independent / International News and Notes:
- Sonjay Dutt is back working Ring of Honor as he has been booked for a ROH TV Title shot vs. Marty Scurll on the March 4th show from New York.
- Cody vs. Jay Lethal has been signed for ROH’s Wrestlemania weekend show in a Texas Bullrope Match.
- It sucks that Frankie Kazarian and Christopher Daniels have been broken up but my guess is, and I am speaking with no inside scoop on the subject, but with the way he has been booked since the ladder war they had with the Young Bucks and the Motor City Machine Guns a few months back, all signs are pointing to Daniels hanging it up soon. He is 46 years old already with a LOT of bumps on his bump card. So I can see him maybe going another year or less before calling it quits.
- Ian Riccaboni is the new play by play announcer replacing Kevin Kelly and his color man has been rotating people including Mark Briscoe, Christopher Daniels, Alex Shelley, Chris Sabin, and others.
- Sucky news for Pro Wrestling Guerrilla as apparently the ring they primarily use for their shows was one that they had rented from Empire Wrestling Federation. Well the ring truck that transports that ring caught fire over the weekend with the ring and sound system in it. All of it was destroyed by the fire. They have another ring that will be rented by PWG for this weekend but it will not be the traditional ring used for the last year by PWG.
- The Lucha Underground debut on Netflix which was expected to go up this past Wednesday did not. It is expected to begin streaming between March and May with no exact date given.
- Congrats to Colt Cabana as he had a cameo role in this week’s episode of NBC’s “Chicago P.D.” as someone that was brought in for questioning in a murder investigation.
MMA News and Notes:
- According to the Irish Sun newspaper in Ireland, Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor have agreed to financial terms for a mega boxing fight between them. This makes it one step closer to this fight becoming a reality where apparently UFC is the only one standing in the way of it coming to fruition. Floyd has denied that any agreement has been reached and noted that he will be the first to let anyone know when it is. He also tweeted to Conor to handle his business with UFC first and foremost. That to me sounds like he knows they can make it happen but until Conor settles his issues with UFC allowing him to box, nothing can happen.
- McGregor does have a Nevada State Athletic Commission hearing on March 22nd in Las Vegas to hear his appeal for his punishment from the bottle throwing incident with Nate Diaz however the commission has agreed to hear his appeal for a boxing license in Nevada as well. Interesting.
- He’ll be back. UFC has come to terms on a new, multi-fight contract with former UFC Welterweight Champion George St. Pierre. It is expected that he will make his return in the 3rd quarter of 2017 thus this summer. He is eyeing UFC Middleweight Champion Michael Bisping as his first opponent. Bisping said as much as he heard from someone in GSP’s camp that GSP wants him. Bisping is game for it as the fight was close to happening this past December but GSP couldn’t come to terms with UFC.
- Bye Bye to the Beast. Brock Lesnar informed UFC earlier this week that he is retiring from Mixed Martial Arts. Due to his retirement, he is no longer subject to drug testing and should he decide he wanted to fight again, prior to coming back he would need to complete the remaining 5 months on his current suspension before he subjects himself to 4 consecutive months of random testing without testing positive before he will be allowed to fight again. At age 39, it is unlikely he will return since that will be almost a year before he can fight once he declares himself re-eligible. Being that he failed a drug test last July and has been suspended although is eligible to fight this coming July and he was still being tested by USADA showed that he was considering fighting again otherwise he would have retired months ago. No word on what caused him to decide otherwise. It could be that he is now signed to appear for WWE this year for more dates since his return over 5 years ago.
- Germaine de Randamie is the new UFC Women’s Featherweight Champion and in my opinion, that SHOULD NOT be the case. I had Holly Holm winning 3 rounds to 2 and de Randamie should have had a point deducted for hitting Holm after the bell sounded on separate occasions. So even if she was given a warning on the 1st (she wasn’t), then she should have lost a point the 2nd time.
- We are expected to see de Randamie vs. Cris “Cyborg” Justino sooner rather than later as Dana White noted that it appears that USADA is close to granting her a retroactive therapeutic use exemption for the substance that she was recently suspended for. That isn’t shady in the least.
- de Randamie did say following the fight that due to all of the controversy surrounding the outcome and judging that she’d be happy to give Holm a rematch for the title.
- Holm filed an official appeal to the New York State Athletic Commission following her loss last weekend citing the referee’s decision to not deduct a point for her two hits she received after the bell.
- Luke Rockhold is targeting his return from his knee injury to be a fight with Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza.
- Rashad Evans has been medically cleared for his UFC 209 fight on March 4th vs. Daniel Kelly. This will be Evans debut at Middleweight down from Light Heavyweight. Evans has missed the last 2 UFC shows due to not being cleared to fight for “medical purposes”.
- Former World Series of Fighting Light Heavyweight and Middleweight Champion David Branch, who just vacated both titles recently has signed with UFC.
- Fedor Emelianenko makes his Bellator debut tomorrow night vs. Matt Mitrione. Really, this fight comes down to who hits the big shot FIRST as someone is getting knocked out and early.
- Over at UFC tomorrow, Derrick Lewis vs. Travis Browne and Johnny Hendricks in his middleweight debut vs. Hector Lombard. Hendricks, who has fought at welterweight (170 lbs.) his whole career is moving up to middleweight tomorrow due to missing weight his last 3 fights (all losses). He weighed in this morning at 197 lbs. and has to be at 185 lbs. by tomorrow morning. What the f*ck dude?!?!? Stop being a fat f*ck and get in shape or stop fighting and eat your life away. SMH.
UFC 209 is on Saturday, March 4th, 2017 from Paradise Nevada and the line-up is as follows:UFC WELTERWEIGHT TITLE: Tyron Woodley © vs/ Stephen “Wonderboy” ThompsonINTERIM UFC LIGHTWEIGHT TITLE: Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Tony FergusonAlistair Overeem vs. Mark HuntRashad Evans vs. Daniel Kelly
UFC 210 is on Saturday, April 8th, 2017 from Buffalo New York and the line-up is as follows:UFC LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE: Daniel Cormier © vs. Anthony “Rumble” JohnsonChris Weidman vs. Gegard MousasiWill Brooks vs. Charles Oliveira
UFC 211 is on Saturday, May 13th, 2017 from Dallas Texas and the line-up is as follows:UFC HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE: Stipe Miocic © vs. Junior Dos SantosUFC WOMEN’S STRAWWEIGHT TITLE: Joanna Jedrzejczyk © vs. Jessica AndradeBen Rothwell vs. Fabricio Werdum
UFC 212 is on Saturday, June 3rd, 2017 from Rio De Janeiro Brazil and the line-up is as follows:UNDISPUTED UFC FEATHERWEIGHT TITLE: Jose Aldo © vs. Max Holloway ©
Random Thoughts, Links, Pics, ETC.
- Random VIDEO of the week: Honest Trailer for "John Wick". HILARIOUS!!!
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week: Latest Trailer for "Ghost in the Shell"
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 2: Official Trailer for “Last of the Enforcers”. This movie stars Sean William Scott. What the hell happened to him?
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 3: 1st look at “Avengers: Infinity War”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 4: Team Thor Teaser!!!
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 5: Honest Trailer for “Batman Begins”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 6: The Matrix starring Forrest Gump?
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 7: Official Trailer for “The House”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 8: Official Trailer for “Mine”
- THIS LINK is for LIFE. Thank you soldiers. WELCOME HOME BLOG
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week: This story still gives me nightmares. I cannot begin to imagine what this would be like if it were me.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 1: I never thought I’d see the day. Good for him for settling down and going full speed ahead with civilian life.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 2: This is like a movie plot. Kim Jong-Un isn’t messing around.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 3: Lasted longer than I expected it to. Let’s see if they can dig their way out of poor sales now.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 4: Say what you want about our president and all of the messages/declarations he has sent since taking office. One of them however was to send more Federal Agents into Chicago to curb the violence. I for one agree with him, especially after seeing this. WTF? Get your act together people.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 5: Great news for the Spears family as the original reports on this story last week were bleak due to how long she was under water for. God bless.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 6: Amazing recovery. I hope it keeps and his body doesn’t reject it nor does he get any infections. I also hope he appreciates it.
BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 7: A) I knew this happened in the U.S. but I did not know it was so blatant and in hotels as if it were nothing. B) Why was she allowed at age 17 to go on a trip to Vegas with her friends? Um...No. C) I cannot imagine going through this. I’d go nuts if it were my daughter.
- “John Wick: Chapter 2”; I saw it last Friday. AMAZING. I enjoyed it better than the 1st and am extremely happy with the continuity of the story and the fact that it takes place immediately following the original. Great stuff and highly recommend.
- I plan on seeing “Lego: Batman” this weekend. Will keep you all posted.
- AMC’s “The Walking Dead” returned this Sunday with the second half of this season and I enjoyed it. I know that some people feel that it is in a holding pattern and haven’t been too keen on the entire season after the deaths of Abraham and Glenn but I am fine. Like I have said before in this column, it is a slow build. They are getting to the “war” and it takes time. I am in no rush for this to wrap.
- Warner Brothers has confirmed that director Matt Reeves has been offered to replace Ben Affleck as director of “The Batman”. He is best known for directing “Cloverfield”, “10 Cloverfield Lane” as well as the “Dawn of the Planet of the Apes” and “Rise of the Planet of the Apes”. He has not accepted the offer yet.
- WB is also talking to Mel Gibson as they have begun negotiations for him to direct the sequel to “Suicide Squad”. That would be a big coup if they could nail him.
- There is a strong rumor circulating in the movie world that Affleck wants OUT as Batman. Meaning that he is contractually obligated to appear in Justice League which is already finished filming minus any reshoots that are coming and then one more film (The Batman unless that gets scrapped then it will be Justice League 2). He does not plan on sticking around after that however meaning that for the Justice League sequel should The Batman get filmed, they will either need to recast or do it without Batman. WOW.
- Anyone know why Flash was preempted this week?
- Marvel has confirmed that “Ant-Man & Wasp” will begin filming in July and Michael Douglas has confirmed that he will be returning to play Hank Pym in the film.
- I know I sound like a broken record each week but Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. was awesome this week. It is such a good show. Next week is the finale of the L.M.D. storyline arc before it moves to whatever the final arc of the season is. For those who watched, I don’t think everything is cut out to be as simple as it appears. Definitely the 4 of them suspected aren’t all L.M.D.’s. Actually, it is either Fitz and/or Simmons or they are trapped in the “Framework”.
- There are rumblings about that Marvel has quietly reacquired the rights to “Namor: The Sub-Mariner” and Marvel is quietly working on either a film or television project on the character in Hawaii. Interesting.
- Actress Sophie Turner has confirmed that she has been asked to reprise her role of young Jean Grey in a new X-Men Film and that the movie will film in between her shooting "Game of Thrones" for HBO.
- In an interesting note, the review embargo that was placed on “Logan” ends today and that is a full 2 weeks before the film is to be released. That likely means that Fox is confident in the film and how it will perform since previous Fox/Marvel films had the embargo until the DAY OF release.
- Rumors are circulating around Fox that actress Kerry Washington (Scandal) is the frontrunner for the role of Domino in Deadpool 2. That would be awesome.
- FX has cast Edward James Olmos for their Sons of Anarchy spin off “The Mayans” where he will play the father of the main character EZ Reyes.
- Do you think George Lucas was robbed? He was paid $4 BILLION by Disney for the rights to Star Wars. Star Wars: The Force Awakens grossed $2 billion at the box office worldwide and another $1.5 billion in merchandise alone. That is not counting Rogue One made another $1 billion with a ton of Star Wars film and merchandise laid out for the next several years. So essentially they have made back a profit from all they have released to date and now everything else is icing on the cake. So was $4 billion not enough? Should Lucas have held out for more?
Feel free to discuss whatever you'd like on the “Board” where I can do my best to answer anything you’d like. Also drop a comment in the comment box below as I try my best to answer in a timely fashion. You can also tweet me on the tweeter. I reply there as well. Questions, Corrections, Comments, Feedback or Ideas: EMAIL ME .