Good day to you all and welcome to We Want Insanity. I am your host for today, Matt Dawgs and this is my column. Today is the end of the work week and the time to look back at all the goings-on over the past seven days as I wrap it up with a bow and spout it out bit by bit. Buckle up. Enjoy the ride.
MATT NOTE: I posted this on social media on Monday but for those of you who did not know, my mother passed away in December of 2000; on Christmas Day to be exact. Anyway, growing up as a kid, she HATED that I watched wrestling. Thought it was stupid, etc. However, like any other woman in the 80’s/90’s, she watched any time “Ravishing” Rick Rude would appear on the television screen. He had the whole “Tom Selleck” mustache and the washboard abs, etc. He was her favorite. He ended up being the only reason she tolerated me watching. So imagine how eerie it was on Monday when he was announced as being the latest inductee into the WWE Hall of Fame because Monday would have been her 70th birthday.
WWE NEWS AND NOTES:
- Goldberg or Oldberg, doesn’t matter what you’d like to call him because you have to call him WWE Universal Champion as he defeated Kevin Owens for the title at the Fastlane PPV last Sunday in squash match fashion. Owens was speared and jackhammered after a distraction by Chris Jericho thus losing in like 26 seconds. Goldberg, after Vince McMahon is the 2nd oldest world champion in company history and is also the 2nd longest reigning WWE Universal Champion of all time.
- On Raw on Monday, Goldberg took an F-5 from Brock Lesnar thus taking his first in ring bump in over 13 years. WOW.
- Wrestlemania is falling into place extremely quickly with a ton of matches being set up on both Raw and Smackdown. Apparently, unless something changes, it appears that Nia Jax will be OUT of the WWE Raw Women’s title match at the PPV and it is just going to be a 3 way with Bayley vs. Sasha Banks vs. Charlotte.
- Randy Orton will get his title shot at Mania as he defeated A.J. Styles in an excellent match on Smackdown this week CLEAN with an RKO to get the spot. The finish was fantastic so if you haven’t seen it, go check it out ASAP.
- By the way for the record, Orton’s “main event” at Mania is likely reward by WWE for having his head busted open by Brock Lesnar several months back.
- Poor Enzo.
- EMMA IS COMING SOON!!!
- Jericho’s first ever match against Samoa Joe should NEVER be 3 minutes long. Why book it if that was going to be the case. To top it off, that lame finish. WOW. What the hell? You can’t beat Joe because it is WAY TOO SOON to beat Joe but they announced Jericho vs. Owens at Mania earlier during Raw meaning you can’t beat Jericho. So a countout? Brutal.
- The Undertaker made his triumphant return to RAW and challenged Roman Reigns to a match at Wrestlemania before chokeslamming him. Roman HAS TO turn heel for this angle. He cannot remain a babyface and WWE cannot expect fans to care about him in this feud. They will 100% be behind Taker on this.
- Where has Kane been?
- Austin Aries is BACK!!!! His eye without the sunglasses still does not look 100% but he is medically cleared to return to action and will get a shot vs. Neville at Mania. Awesome. Hope they don’t get relegated to the pre-show though. That would suck.
- The Miz is doing absolutely everything in his power to stay in the main event mix with his upcoming mixed tag match at Wrestlemania with Maryse vs. John Cena and Nikki Bella. He has been AMAZING since this feud started and it continued on “Talking Smack” following Smackdown this week.
- Interesting side comment that flew under the radar on “Talking Smack”. Miz says Daniel Bryan can’t wrestle anymore and referred to him as an “ex-wrestler” to which Bryan immediately replied “I can't, or they won't let me wrestle? Let's see what happens in a year and a half.” Like I said it when he “retired” that there was NO WAY he was going to stay retired. He absolutely wanted to end his career on his own terms and with Ring of Honor and New Japan making a run as the #2 promotion in the world. He wants to wrestle and if WWE won’t let him, I guarantee once his contract is up, he leaves to find work elsewhere. He has doctors, including the one who found the issues with his brain that said he could wrestle again. WWE’s doctor is the only one who refuses to clear him.
- NBA Hall of Famer Shaquille O’Neal noted on his podcast that he and his management are back in talks with WWE about a Wrestlemania match against the Big Show.
- Finn Balor makes his in-ring return this weekend at WWE Live Events and is expected to return to television next week to build to whatever he is doing at Wrestlemania.
- Wrestlemania is approximately 250 tickets short of a sellout meaning that the show will be a sellout. Right now the plan is for 55,000 to be there however once the stage is set up, more tickets will be made available week of the show.
- WWE announcer Corey Graves has filmed an exclusive interview with upcoming WWE Hall of Famer Kurt Angle for his WWE Network series “Bring it to the Table” and it is set to air this coming Monday, March 13th on the WWE Network.
- Happy Birthday to WWE U.K. Champion Tyler Bate as he celebrated his 20th birthday earlier this week.
- WWE has signed Kairi Hojo from the Stardom promotion in Japan and she is set to come to the states soon. She signed a 3-year contract. I had reported a few months ago that her along with the top star Io Shuirai were both close to signing and then decided not to and stay with Stardom. Well Shuirai told Stardom that she plans on coming to Orlando in April for Wrestlemania but she has not signed anything with WWE and does not plan on working any independent dates while in the U.S. This would be the equivalent of WWE losing both Rock and Steve Austin at the same time during the Attitude Era.
- WWE Superstar Dana Brooke ended up competing in the fitness routine at the Arnold Classic last weekend in Ohio. She came in dead last. 14 out of 14 contestants.
- The Rock and Roll Express have requested that Jim Cornette induct them into the WWE Hall of Fame. Highly unlikely that this gets approved.
- Despite requesting his release last week, WWE has in fact noted that Jack Swagger has NOT been officially released yet and if they did end up releasing him, he would still be subject to the standard 90 day “no compete” clause meaning he would not be able to wrestle any independent dates until that was up. Swagger actually has booking scheduled for this weekend in the U.K. so we will see if he ends up honoring those appearances or not.
- WWE Hall of Famer Lita worked her first match in over 5 years in Maryland for the MCW promotion. It was an 8 person tag match and she wrestled using the name Amy Dumas.
- The Grim Reaper has claimed another one. R.I.P. to former WWE star “Outlaw” Ron Bass as he passed away earlier this week at age 68. Bass is probably best remembered by fans my age for his memorable angle on WWE TV involving Brutus “The Barber” Beefcake and a bull whip and a spur. It was a bloody angle which was rare for weekly syndicated TV that involved Bass cutting Beefcake’s forehead open with the spur in between choking him with the bull whip. Bass apparently had a ruptured appendix for about a week and went without it being checked out. By the time he ended up going to a hospital because the pain was so severe, it was too late and his body had suffered too much poisoning.
- Also best wishes to WWE Hall of Famer “Cowboy” Bill Watts as he is in very rough shape. He needed to get an emergency esophagus surgery earlier this week and there have been several complications stemming from it including kidney and organ failure. His son Eric Watts posted that it is touch and go and doctors say he needs a miracle to pull through all of this. Ugh.
2017 WWE HALL OF FAME is on Friday, March 31st, 2017 from Orlando Florida and the line-up is as follows:Kurt AngleDiamond Dallas PageTeddy LongThe Rock & Roll Express (Ricky Morton & Robert Gibson)Beth Phoenix”Ravishing” Rick Rude
NXT TAKEOVER ORLANDO is Saturday, 1st 2017 from Orlando Florida and the line-up is as follows:NXT TITLE: Bobby Roode © vs. Shinsuke NakamuraNXT TAG TEAM TITLES: The Authors of Pain © w/Paul Ellering vs. D.I.Y. (Tommasso Ciampa & Johnny Gargano) vs. The Revival (Dawson & Wilder)NXT WOMEN’S TITLE: Asuka © vs. Ember MoonTye Dillinger/No Way Jose/Roderick Strong/Ruby Riot vs. SAnitY (Eric Young/Alexander Wolfe/Killian Dain/Nikki Cross)
WWE WRESTLEMANIA 33 is on Sunday, April 2nd, 2017 from Orlando Florida and the line-up is as follows: WWE UNIVERSAL TITLE: Goldberg © vs. Brock Lesnar w/Paul HeymanWWE TITLE: Bray Wyatt © vs. Randy OrtonThe Undertaker vs. Roman ReignsMIXED TAG: John Cena & Nikki Bella vs. Miz & MaryseTriple H vs. Seth RollinsWWE U.S. TITLE: Chris Jericho © vs. Kevin OwensA.J. Styles vs. Shane McMahonWWE RAW WOMEN’S TITLE: Bayley © vs. Charlotte vs. Sasha BanksWWE CRUISERWEIGHT TITLE: Neville © vs. Austin AriesWWE INTERCONTINENTAL TITLE: Dean Ambrose © vs. Baron CorbinWWE RAW TAG TEAM TITLES: The Club (Luke Gallows & Karl Anderson) © vs. Enzo Amore & Big Cass vs. Sheamus & CesaroWWE SMACKDOWN WOMEN’S TITLE: Alexa Bliss © vs. Becky Lynch vs. Natalya vs. Mickie James vs. Carmella vs. TBD Andre the Giant Memorial Battle RoyalThe New Day (Big E./Xavier Woods/Kofi Kingston) will be special guests hosts.
IMPACT WRESTLING NEWS and NOTES:
- Lots of new faces in Impact including the returning LAX lead by Konnan with Homicide and North East independent tag team EFYBO. Also joining Impact is the former Chris Masters now wrestling under the name Chris Adonis as well as the returning Matt Morgan.
- Impact has inked a new U.K. television deal with Spike TV which will begin on April 21st.
- Speaking of Spike, in a VERY INTERESTING note, Scott Fishman, the Senior Vice President of Spike TV was at the last set of Impact tapings in Orlando last week. Both Impact and Spike are saying it was a social visit however if it wasn’t and Impact can get back on Spike TV then Impact will once again have a significant form of revenue coming in and thus could launch itself back as the #2 promotion behind WWE.
- As of now with Jeff Jarrett back in charge of the company, there are no plans for Josh Barnett to return. Originally John “Big” Gaburick is the one who brought him in and there were plans for him under that regime to be at these tapings and continue his angle/feud with Lashley. Those plans have been scrapped.
- Impact did in fact reach out to Bully Ray about returning however he declined and as noted above signed with Ring of Honor instead.
- Reno Scum debuted as the GFW tag team champions at the last tapings so Global Force Wrestling will be recognized as a legit promotion in Impact. It is interesting that Reno Scum held the tag titles at the show since The Bollywood Boys of Harv and Girv Shira were the last GFW tag team champions and never lost the titles although now they are in WWE.
- Northeast independent team EYFBO of Angel Ortiz and Mike Draztic are the new LAX with Homicide and Konnan and are tag team champions however the original plan was for Konnan to bring in Homicide and Low-Ki. Low-Ki turned down the offer. I don’t know why they just didn’t go with Eddie Kingston in the Low-Ki role since this is a reboot and Kingston and Homicide are friends and teammates on the independents.
- Jeremy Borash is set to become the new lead play by play announcer replaying Josh Matthews. No word on what Matthews new role within Impact will be if any however he will no longer be calling the show.
- So the Decay “Deleted” Broken Matt and Brother Nero?
- There was a new production company handling the tapings last week and no one from Aeroluxe was at the show.
- Impact plans on Slammiversary airing on July 2nd to be a live PPV show.
- Taz has been contacted about returning.
- So....Vince Russo on his podcast noted that Jeff Jarrett, who he hasn’t spoken to in a long time as they had an issue, contacted him a few weeks back asking him how he was doing and how his podcast numbers were. Russo was completely honest with him and noted that the numbers were not good and he wasn’t sure if Podcast One was going to renew him once his current deal was done. The following week Russo read the spoilers for Impact and Bruce Prichard, who has excellent podcast numbers, was on the tapings as an on air character bashing the old TNA regime. 2 + 2 = 4. Jeff Jarrett reached out to Vince F’N Russo about a return to Impact. In 2017, with all that has happened to Impact over the past few years, why in the world would Jarrett reach out to Russo and think it was a good idea. Even if it was just for an on air cameo and not allowing him to have any creative say what so ever, WHY?!?!?!
- I get the whole “Make Impact Great Again” gag. Trying to get viewers to believe that this will not be the same that it used to be but by reminding everyone that you had Samoa Joe, A.J. Styles, Kurt Angle, Bobby Roode, Sting and others on the roster and how you don’t doesn’t seem like the smartest idea in the world to me. Just saying.
Ring of Honor / Lucha Underground / Independent / International News and Notes:
- Ring of Honor’s roster just got interesting as last week in New York Bully Ray made his ROH debut and according to sources, signed a contract with the promotion but it is unsure for how long. Also debuting and capturing the Ring of Honor Tag Team titles from the Young Bucks was “Broken” Matt Hardy and Brother Nero. They have claimed to have signed contracts as well but no one can confirm for how long they are signed. There is still strong belief that Matt and Jeff are heading back to WWE at Wrestlemania or soon thereafter. This is becoming more interesting as Matt Hardy has been sending tweets to The Club regarding the WWE tag team titles. They have no dates scheduled anywhere past April. Take that how you choose.
- Broken Matt and Brother Nero will defend the ROH tag team titles this coming Friday in Las Vegas vs. The Young Bucks and Roppongi Vice in a three way street fight at the ROH 15th Anniversary PPV.
- Bully Ray will also make his in-ring debut on Friday at the PPV teaming with the Briscoes vs. War Machine and Davey Boy Smith Jr. He has been telling people that he is signed for one-year.
- New Japan Pro Wrestling’s Tomoaki Honma was severely injured during a match last week where he was stretchered out and had no feelings below his neck. He was like this in the hospital for several days however has since began regaining some feeling and movement in his arms and legs but he is still extremely weak and unable to sit up on his own. He took the draping DDT and his neck compressed injuring the C-3 and C-4 vertebrae. As of now, it appears that his spinal cord was severely swollen but NOT broken therefore he will likely be able to walk again and regain strength. Whether or not he ever wrestles again is a different story.
- Zack Sabre Jr. made his NJPW debut earlier this week at the 45th Anniversary show and ended up joining Suzuki-gun.
MMA News and Notes:
- After a 1st fight that left a doubt as to who should be the UFC Welterweight Champion, Tyrone Woodley retained his title in the rematch vs. Stephen “Wonderboy” Thompson last weekend in a close fight that was nowhere near as good as the first. In fact, it was said to be boring.
- Good night Mark Hunt. Alistair Overeem KO’d Mark Hunt last weekend with a vicious knee to the face that caused Hunt to faceplant on the mat. It was BRUTAL. Hopefully Overeem passes any post-fight tests because if he fails one, Hunt’s lawsuit vs. UFC will get interesting. This story is even more insane as Overeem was vomiting repeatedly for 24 straight hours before the fight due to food poisoning and was hospitalized over it but did not inform anyone of this situation and felt fine the day of the fight.
- While Dana White wants to book Khabib Nurmagomedov back with Tony Ferguson soon, it is up in the air as White isn’t sure Nurmagomedov will be healthy soon enough to try and make that cut again as well as Nurmagomedov normally takes off most of the summer due to his religious beliefs.
- Tony Ferguson is IRATE at UFC as he was to be paid $250,000 for his fight with Nurmagomedov and actually weighed in for his fight before later being told the bout was off and he was offered other last minute opponents. Ferguson is now claiming that he was NOT in fact paid the $250K and instead received less than half of that. According to the Nevada State Athletic Commission, promotions are NOT required to pay any fighters for cancelled fights so UFC does have a leg to stand on since they did pay him something when they didn’t have to but realistically they should have given him the full amount since it isn’t his fault the fight was pulled from the card.
- Rashad Evans made his long awaited returned from injury last weekend and fought his first fight at Middleweight in a split decision to Daniel Kelly. It marked Evans 3rd consecutive loss in UFC and 5th of his last 7. Despite the loss Evans noted that he does not plan on retiring and will continue fighting.
- Sergio Pettis vs. Henry Cejudo has been added to UFC 211 on May 13th in Dallas as well as Eddie Alvarez vs. Dustin Poirier and Frankie Edgar vs. Yair Rodriquez. While those two solid fights have been added, Ben Rothwell vs. Fabricio Werdum may now be OFF that show as Rothwell has been flagged by USADA for a possible doping violation from a February 6th out of competition test. Ouch.
- The first press conference for Michael Bisping vs. George St. Pierre took place last weekend. GSP noted that he signed with UFC for less money than he thinks he deserves but for more money than UFC had previously paid him and offered him last year so it was a compromise on both sides.
- Bisping sounded confident and noted that GSP will be easy pickens with the long layoff and age factor playing a part. He also noted that GSP won’t hurt him physically since he has to bulk up for the fight thus won’t be as quick or as strong as him. He is right. This is going to be a tough fight for GSP.
- UFC Women’s Bantamweight Champion Amanda Nunes is pushing for her next title fight vs. Valentina Shevchenko to be the co-main of Bisping vs. St. Pierre. Good for her for understanding business.
- Vitor Belfort vs. Kelvin Gastelum and Mauricio “Shogun” Rua vs. Gian Villante take place tomorrow on Fox Sports 1.
- Following her loss in the debut Bellator Women’s Featherweight title fight last week vs. Julia Budd, Marloes Coenen announced her retirement from MMA. Tough blow for Bellator because even though she was 36, the was hired by Scott Coker to be the face of the division.
- The trial of Jon Koppenhaver a.k.a. “War Machine” began last week in Las Vegas. He is being charged on 34 separate counts including attempted murder, aggravated assault, kidnapping, sexual assault and more from the August 2014 attack of adult film star Christy Mack.
UFC 210 is on Saturday, April 8th, 2017 from Buffalo New York and the line-up is as follows:UFC LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE: Daniel Cormier © vs. Anthony “Rumble” JohnsonChris Weidman vs. Gegard MousasiWill Brooks vs. Charles Oliveira
UFC on FOX is on Saturday, April 15th, 2017 from Kansas City Missouri and the line-up is as follows:UFC FLYWEIGHT TITLE: Demetrious Johnson © vs. Wilson ReisRonaldo “Jacare” Souza vs. Robert WhittakerMichelle Waterson vs. Rose Namajunas
UFC 211 is on Saturday, May 13th, 2017 from Dallas Texas and the line-up is as follows:UFC HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE: Stipe Miocic © vs. Junior Dos SantosUFC WOMEN’S STRAWWEIGHT TITLE: Joanna Jedrzejczyk © vs. Jessica AndradeEddie Alvarez vs. Dustin PoirierFrankie Edgar vs. Yair RodriquezBen Rothwell vs. Fabricio WerdumHenry Cejudo vs. Sergio PettisDemian Maia vs. Jorge Masvidal
UFC 212 is on Saturday, June 3rd, 2017 from Rio De Janeiro Brazil and the line-up is as follows:UNDISPUTED UFC FEATHERWEIGHT TITLE: Jose Aldo © vs. Max Holloway ©Karolina Kowalkiewicz vs. Claudia Gadelha
Random Thoughts, Links, Pics, ETC.
- Random VIDEO of the week: Official Teaser for “Deadpool 2”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week: Official Trailer for “The Assignment”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 2: Colleen Wing Trailer for “Iron Fist”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 3: Official Trailer for “Geostorm”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 4: Red Band Trailer for “Rough Night”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 5: Honest Trailer for “Moana”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 6: Deadpool Bloopers.
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 7: Latest Trailer for “The Fate of the Furious”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 8: First look at the new “Ducktales” reboot.
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 9: Red Band Trailer for “Atomic Blond”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 10: Samuel L. Jackson acts out his entire film career with James Corden.
- THIS LINK is for LIFE. Thank you soldiers. WELCOME HOME BLOG
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week: Death Penalty? Anyone? I am ok with it.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 1: Why are people still interviewing her?
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 2: Not for nothing but I am 100% positive that she is telling the truth too. PS – cannot believe it has been 20 years. WOW.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 3: Honest question, what do you think the proper compensation for something like this should be? I always wondered. I think at least $100 million no? 25 years is a LONG time.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 4: Whoops!!!
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 5: I personally wouldn’t live here but I have to admit it looks pretty cool.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 6: Common sense tells you that this is NOT smart at all. SMH.
BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 7: Such a sad and tragic story. I know I’d go f*cking nuts and probably kill myself if this happened to me. Man.
BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 8: Brutal. This is my subway line that I take daily. Wow.
BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 9: I believe it. 100%
BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 10: And these are the guys that all of the horror stories about cops come from. He’s been a cop for years and no one had any clue how racist he was.
- For you “Game of Thrones” fans out there, HBO has confirmed that the season 7 premiere will take place on Sunday, July 16th at 9:00 pm ET.
- It is the 20th Anniversary of “Buffy the Vampire Slayer”. That show was so well written and acted and it is a real shame that since it was a “teen” show it wasn’t ever really considered for an Emmy award. Go watch the show if you’ve never given it a chance. It is available via Netflix.
- While this may not sound impressive, John Wick: Chapter 2 has grossed about $82 million domestically in the 4 weeks it has been out in theaters with another $50 million internationally. Despite that number sounding low, it has DOUBLED their entire domestic run and will do what its predecessor did in continuing to make money once released on DVD and streaming platforms which is what got the sequel greenlit to begin with.
- Logan had an $85 million domestic weekend (almost $250 international) and I hope to see it tomorrow. So far it has already passed $1 BILLION worldwide and $100 million in the U.S.
- Although actor Sir Patrick Stewart has noted that he is done playing the role of Professor Charles Xavier with “Logan” being the last time in the role he has noted that he is open to reprising the role for either the FX TV series “Legion” or for the Deadpool 2 film being made.
- Actress Zazie Beetz has been cast to play the role of Domino in Deadpool 2. Originally Scandal star Kerry Washington was the favorite. Beetz is best known for her role on the critically acclaimed FX series, “Atlanta”.
- In the “I am completely and utterly shocked” category, critics who have screened Marvel/Netflix’s “Iron Fist” have been largely NEGATIVE on the first 6 episodes saying it is a total dud from a storyline perspective. These reviews are coming on the heels of Luke Cage getting favorable reviews before it debuted despite in my eyes being the weakest of the releases to date.
- Marvel’s “Captain Marvel” starring Brie Larson is set to begin production in January 2018.
- Thor in Thor: Ragnarok will have short hair. Ugh.
- Acclaimed director James Cameron revealed that there is no set release date for his Avatar sequels and they may come as late as 2020. He said that it is challenging since he is working on the sequels back to back to back to back doing 4 films at a time therefore he wants them to be perfect and doesn’t plan on rushing to complete them.
Feel free to discuss whatever you'd like on the “Board” where I can do my best to answer anything you’d like. Also drop a comment in the comment box below as I try my best to answer in a timely fashion. You can also tweet me on the tweeter. I reply there as well. Questions, Corrections, Comments, Feedback or Ideas: EMAIL ME .