Good day to you all and welcome to We Want Insanity. I am your host for today, Matt Dawgs and this is my column. Today is the end of the work week and the time to look back at all the goings-on over the past seven days as I wrap it up with a bow and spout it out bit by bit. Buckle up. Enjoy the ride.
MATT NOTE: R.I.P. to Joaquin Roldan as he passed away at age 63 last week. Roldan was running AAA in Mexico since 2007 after the death of AAA founder Antonio Pena. His son Dorian is expected to take over although Dorian is currently the head of talent relations for Lucha Underground in the U.S.
BONUS MATT NOTE: R.I.P. also goes out to “Pretty Boy” Larry Sharpe as he passed away from cancer at age 66. Sharpe is best known for being the co-founder (alongside Buddy Rogers) of the “Monster Factory” in New Jersey which aside from the cool name for a wrestling school, it churned out such talents as Bam Bam Bigelow, Chris Candido, Balls Mahoney, The Big Show, Hugh Morris, Raven, D-Lo Brown, The Godfather, 911, Giant Silva, The Pitbulls, Rocco Rock, The Headbangers, Gillberg, Sonjay Dutt, Roadblock, and more. The Monster Factory started after Shape helped train Kevin Von Erich in Texas.
EXTRA BONUS MATT NOTE: Not to be outdone by wrestlers this week, the celebrity world also suffered a loss as an R.I.P. goes out to actor/comedian Charlie Murphy a.k.a. Eddie Murphy’s older brother who had a career resurgence thanks to the Chappelle Show. He was 57 and died from leukemia.
WWE NEWS AND NOTES:
- The “Superstar Shakeup” has taken place and boy what a clusterf*ck that was. So there were no trades or negotiating apparently. Just random people showing up saying that they are now on RAW or now on Smackdown. No backstage footage of Daniel Bryan and Shane McMahon meeting in a “war room” trying to map out who they want or who they want to give up. No “draft” where Raw gets to take their top 3 choices from Smackdown, etc. Nope. Just Miz and Maryse showing up on RAW dressed as John Cena and Nikki Bella announcing that they are on RAW now with no explanation as to why or how and then Dean Ambrose interrupting them saying he is now on RAW too. And then all of the other “arrivals” which made no sense or had any rhyme or reason such as Bray Wyatt coming out after Finn Balor won his match despite Bray just last week challenging Randy Orton to a “House of Horrors” match on Smackdown which Orton accepted. So even though Wyatt is now on RAW, apparently the Smackdown GM has to give him his match still at the RAW PPV on April 30th? So many questions left and so little answers.
- Braun Strowman is AWESOME. If you were on the fence about him despite me getting aboard the Strowman Fan Club Train months ago, you cannot possibly be on the fence still. Strowman MURDERING Roman Reigns was the best thing to happen on WWE television in quite some time. That was all sorts of awesome from beginning to end.
- The crowd’s “You deserve it” chant when Roman was being stretchered was FANTASTIC!!!
- Finn Balor was concussed on Monday’s RAW by Jinder Mahal when Mahal KILLED Balor with a forearm to the face. As you noticed, Balor dropped like a ton of bricks and landed on his face because he was legit knocked unconscious for a second. You could see that Mahal was noticeably concerned after he nailed him because even he knew he was way too stiff.
- Monday was definitely a night of attempted murder because Nia Jax dumped Charlotte on her head following a shoulder breaker which also looked brutal. Green as grass that one is.
- Sigh. I miss “Broken” Matt Hardy already. I feel like this nostalgia of the Hardy’s is already done.
- Raw made it fairly obvious that some of the major Raw women were going to Smackdown since both Alexa Bliss and Mickie James are on RAW now.
- BTW, Alexa got a fairly large pop when her music hit. I like her and think she has superstar potential based on her character (her ring work still needs improvement but she isn’t horrible) but the crowd certainly thinks she is the best.
- I hope Elias Sampson isn’t on Raw or Smackdown. I hope WWE lets him just randomly appear on both shows. You know, like a “drifter”.
- After RAW went off the air, WWE.Com confirmed that David Otunga and Byron Saxon are switching brands with Otunga starting on RAW next week.
- Following RAW, during a dark match, Seth Rollins debuted a new finisher which is a variation of “The Rainmaker”. Instead of using a clothesline however Rollins uses a jumping knee instead.
- The moves from Smackdown to RAW are:Apollo CrewsThe MizMaryseCurt HawkinsBray WyattKalistoHeath SlaterRhinoAlexa BlissMickie JamesDavid Otunga
- The moves from Smackdown to Raw are:Byron SaxonKevin OwensSami ZaynJinder MahalTaminaCharlotteThe Shining Stars (Epico & Primo)Sin CaraRusevLana (apparently seperate from Rusev now)The New Day
- I kind of feel like Smackdown got the shorter end of the stick here on paper. I am happy that KO moved though. He has a bigger opportunity to shine on Smackdown. Also he and A.J. are going to carry the brand.
- In a move that will certainly piss of the producers of E!’s Total Divas, Renee Young and Dean Ambrose were secretly married last week void of any camera crews. Ratings being thrown out the window. I am also 100% convinced that the move of Ambrose to RAW and away from Renee Young was done in response to this marriage.
- The reason Kofi Kingston was “injured” on RAW last week during the Revival’s debut was that he needed to undergo ankle surgery. He is expected to miss several weeks.
- Smackdown Play by Play announcer Mauro Ranallo is officially gone from the company. He is not being brought back to continue his role although he is under contract until August 2017.
- There is no word on any heat on JBL from WWE management however there are stories coming out of the woodwork on him and these are in fact starting to get picked up by the mainstream media regarding the situation with Ranallo, this may cause issues for WWE which will force some repercussions even if they don’t want to; especially when sponsors start getting wind of it.
- Not sure how truthful this is however former WWE Star Alberto El Patron went on a drunken rant (He admitted he was a little drunk when he started the rant) and said that WWE Star Paige will NOT be coming back to WWE at all.
- ESPN analyst and former WWE announcer Jonathan Coachman announced via twitter that he will no longer be covering WWE for ESPN due to time constraints as he has a big project for ESPN coming up.
- In a story that has also started picking up steam from news outlets, WWE Hall of Famer Ric Flair was kicked out of The Deck at the Gas House bar in Fort Wayne Indiana over the weekend for calling the bartender “fat ass. He was there for only a few minutes before being escorted off the premises.
- Glenn Jacobs best known as WWE Superstar Kane has announced that he is running for mayor of Knox Country Tennessee. While not retired, he seemingly isn’t doing much for the company and will likely not be wrestling in the immediate future. He hasn’t wrestled since December on live events and was not booked for Mania despite being around for Fan Axxess.
- So apparently in former WWE Superstar A.J. Lee’s new book, she completely omitted her time as the girlfriend of ROH star Jay Lethal. This is pretty significant considering Lethal is the one who TRAINED HER TO WRESTLE.
- NFL Pro Bowler James Laurinaitis, son of WWE Hall of Famer Road Warrior Animal and nephew of former WWE Head of Talent Relations John Laurinaitis has announced his retirement from the NFL after a very successful 8 year career at age 30. Now while he is a millionaire from his NFL days, I fully expect him to test the waters of professional wrestling as he noted he was always interested once his football career ends. So let’s see if he ends up on NXT over the next several months.
- As of this writing, talks between WWE and Ring of Honor regarding a sale are apparently DEAD. They are still negotiating using ROH content on the WWE Network however.
- Showing how BIG of an event Wrestlemania is becoming and how much the WWE machine is rolling despite our feelings about creative, this year’s Mania merchandise grossed $3.7 million trailing only Mania in Dallas on the all-time list. An amazing feat considering Mania had about 30,000 less in attendance.
WWE PAYBACK PPV is on Sunday, April 30th, 2017 from San Jose California and the line-up is as follows:WWE TITLE: Randy Orton © vs. Bray Wyatt in a HOUSE OF HORRORS MATCHWWE U.S. TITLE: Kevin Owens © vs. Chris JerichoWWE TAG TEAM TITLES: The Hardy Boyz © (Matt & Jeff Hardy) vs. Sheamus & CesaroWWE CRUISERWEIGHT TITLE: Neville © vs. Austin Aries
IMPACT WRESTLING NEWS and NOTES:
- DJZ a.k.a. Zema Ion is recovering from his emergency surgery in Mexico. He noted that he is expected to make a full recovery in a few weeks but he will need to take some time before returning to wrestling.
- Last week I noted that Sonjay Dutt has signed with Impact. He will be mainly working behind the scenes as a part of the creative team. He will also be an agent/producer for the promotion. It is possible he will wrestle or appear on camera in some capacity but he is not going to be wrestling full time. He did in fact receive an offer to work at the WWE Performance Center in Orlando full time as a trainer based on his two guest training stints however he turned it down as it would have required moving his wife and kids to Orlando and leave his regular job which he did not want to do.
- EFYBO almost wasn’t a part of LAX with Homicide and Konnan. The role was originally offered to the one and only Hit Squad of Dan Maff and Steve “Monsta” Mack. Sadly Maff and Mack had to turn it down due to the offer coming on short notice and the lack of ability to get immediate time off from their real day to day jobs. As I have noted personally to both Maff and Mack, they absolutely should be in the role that the “Authors of Pain” are currently in at NXT and they surely would have been HUGE in Impact.
Ring of Honor / Lucha Underground / Independent / International News and Notes:
- Ring of Honor is no longer in negotiations to sell the promotion to WWE. WWE is still interested in purchasing content rights from them to air footage on the WWE Network.
- Matt Sydal is back in ROH as he returned at last weekend’s television tapings.
- Also Ken Doane and Mike Mondo have debuted as The Spirit Squad. Yes, they used full gimmick which means WWE either let the trademark expire or they used it illegally and ROH is going to get sh*t over it. I assume it is the former.
- Apparently Cody Hall is out of the Bullet Club and New Japan Pro Wrestling. I am trying to sort details as he was injured several months ago and just debuted earlier this week in Pro Wrestling NOAH. Now this could be part of their talent exchange or he could just be done with NJPW.
MMA News and Notes:
- So Daniel Cormier defeated Anthony “Rumble” Johnson on Saturday via rear naked choke and immediately following the fight, Rumble retired from MMA noting he got a lucrative job offer outside of MMA that will pay him significant money. It was a weird fight considering Cormier is a world class wrestler and Johnson is the best knockout artist in all of UFC (in any division). So rather than stand up with Cormier and try to knock him out, Johnson tried to wrestle with him not only baffling fans but his own corner who following the fight noted that they were just as confused as everyone else.
- The rumor circulating is that Johnson has signed with the LA Rams to be the team’s strength and conditioning coach. That has not been confirmed by anyone but his trainer did inadvertently note that he will be working for the NFL.
- Cormier knows how to play the game as following the fight in his post-fight promo, he 100% played heel despite being one of the nicest guys in MMA all because fans were booing him. He cut a heel-like promo on Jon Jones and played it up as if he is the best in the world. Good stuff.
- The co-main event was marred by controversy as Chris Weidman was defeated via TKO by Gegard Mousasi. The problem was, Mousasi laid in two knees to Weidman’s head knocking him loopy. Weidman however had placed both hands on the ground voluntarily. Once you do that, you are considered a “downed opponent”. Mousasi had however lifted Weidman off the canvas before landing the knees. The referee immediately stopped it after the 2nd knee and said it was an illegal blow. As he and other officials discussed it although there is no instant replay allowed in New York. After deciding not to take a point from Mousasi, the ring doctor called off the fight saying that Weidman couldn’t continue as he had questioned Weidman during the delay and was not satisfied with Weidman’s answers including Weidman replying that they were in February when asked what month was it. Reality is, he probably couldn’t continue but I am sure if you asked him, he would have wanted to. It was a weird scene since no one apparently knew the rules. After watching the replay, the knee was in fact legal as Mousasi did pull Weidman off the canvas which legally he is allowed to do so. A few days following the fight it was revealed that New York DOES in fact allow instant replay and it could have been reviewed. Amazing to me that Marc Ratner of UFC, the referees, the athletic commission nor the judges knew the rules in New York.
- Patrick Cote, after 15 years of MMA announced his retirement as well last Saturday following his loss to Thiago Alves.
- Congrats to Urijah Faber as he has been named the “Modern Era” inductee to this year’s UFC Hall of Fame in July. Well deserved.
- UFC will NOT be hosting a Fan Expo as part of International Fight Week in July.
- Nate Diaz, like Conor McGregor a few weeks ago, had his fine for the infamous bottle throwing incident to $15,000. It was originally $50,000.
- Cody Garbrandt defending the UFC Welterweight title against T.J. Dillashaw has been announced as the co-main event of the UFC 213 show in July during International Fight Week. The reason it is the co-main is because UFC is still hoping to finalize George St. Pierre’s return against Michael Bisping for the UFC Middleweight title and/or Daniel Cormier defending the UFC Light Heavyweight title as the main. It is getting close to “do or die” time for both those fights as UFC needs to start marketing the show and producing commercials and selling tickets soon.
- UFC is still searching for a potential opponent for Anderson Silva for the June 3rd show from Rio de Janeiro. Some sources in Brazil are noting that Vitor Belfort will be the opponent which would be his final UFC fight. Silva is petitioning for Nick Diaz while Luke Rockhold is pushing for himself to get it.
- Holly Holm vs. Bethe Correia has been signed as the main event for the June 17th Fight Night in Singapore. A loss by Holm here and they have to release her no?
- Should Demetrious Johnson successfully defend the Flyweight title tomorrow (and by all accounts, he should fairly easily) then he will tie Anderson Silva for the all-time UFC record of consecutive UFC title fight wins at 11 as well as his 12th straight win overall which would tie him with George St. Pierre and have him only trailing Jon Jones with 13 and Anderson Silva with 16.
- Tomorrow is also the final fight of Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza. Considering he has a strong relationship with Scott Coker over at Bellator due to their time working together in Strikeforce, things could get interesting. A win by Souza would put him in contention for a possible middleweight title fight. Bidding war coming. Bellator is pushing to sign EVERY SINGLE BIG NAME that becomes available from UFC. This edict has come straight from the top of the Viacom food chain.
UFC on FOX is TOMORROW NIGHT from Kansas City Missouri and the line-up is as follows:UFC FLYWEIGHT TITLE: Demetrious Johnson © vs. Wilson ReisRonaldo “Jacare” Souza vs. Robert WhittakerMichelle Waterson vs. Rose NamajunasRoy Nelson vs. Alexander VolkovJeremy Stephens vs. Renato Moicano
UFC 211 is on Saturday, May 13th, 2017 from Dallas Texas and the line-up is as follows:UFC HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE: Stipe Miocic © vs. Junior Dos SantosUFC WOMEN’S STRAWWEIGHT TITLE: Joanna Jedrzejczyk © vs. Jessica AndradeEddie Alvarez vs. Dustin PoirierFrankie Edgar vs. Yair RodriquezBen Rothwell vs. Fabricio WerdumHenry Cejudo vs. Sergio PettisDemian Maia vs. Jorge Masvidal
UFC 212 is on Saturday, June 3rd, 2017 from Rio De Janeiro Brazil and the line-up is as follows:UNDISPUTED UFC FEATHERWEIGHT TITLE: Jose Aldo © vs. Max Holloway ©Anderson Silva vs. TBDKarolina Kowalkiewicz vs. Claudia Gadelha
UFC 213 is on Saturday, July 8th, 2017 from Las Vegas Nevada and the line-up is as follows:TBD UFC MIDDLEWEIGHT TITLE: Michael Bisping © vs. George St. Pierre UFC WELTERWEIGHT TITLE: Cody Garbrandt © vs. T.J. DillashawRobbie Lawler vs. Donald Cerrone
Random Thoughts, Links, Pics, ETC.
- Random VIDEO of the week: Official Teaser for “Thor: Ragnarok” “YES!!! We know each other. We’re friends from work.” LMAO.
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week: Official Trailer for “Rendel”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 2: Honest Trailer for “Rogue One: A Star Wars Story”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 3: Latest Trailer for “Atomic Blond”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 4: Star Wars Celebration Tribute to Carrie Fisher.
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 5: Latest Trailer for “The Bad Batch”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 6: Red Band Trailer for “The Hitman’s Bodyguard”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 7: Official Trailer for “Baby Driver”
- THIS LINK is for LIFE. Thank you soldiers. WELCOME HOME BLOG
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week: Hazing is a part of college life when pledging but attempted murder? Really dude?
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 1: Easy way out. Such a coward. Glad he’s dead but wish he suffered more.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 2: Looks like our POTUS finally got that 25 person kill streak in Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2!!!!
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 3: I hate that this is once again being brought up since what is done is done and she isn’t going to pay for it but it is still terrible to see. Such a terrible story.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 4: I love my kids to death but nope. Not forgiving the little f*cks if it ever comes to this.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 5: This HAS TO BE one of the most assh*le ways to assault someone for revenge. I hate these stories.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 6: I know the U.S. is undergoing an heroin epidemic now with more and more reported overdose cases but why are these idiots behind the wheel of a vehicle when they do it? I see this happening in the news more and more each day.
- Absolutely going to check out “The Fate of the Furious” hopefully tomorrow night but if not, next weekend. I fully expect it to make all sorts of money and be one of the biggest opening weekends EVER.
- The Thor: Ragnarok trailer is the most watched Marvel/Disney trailer EVER. And that was after 24 hours.
- Thoroughly disappointed that Marvel missed out on a golden opportunity. According to actor Kurt Russell, he and Sylvester Stallone have no screen time together in Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2. That is disappointing.
- Fox has begun production on their “New Mutants” film franchise earlier this week. While not confirmed whether or not James McAvoy will be reprising his role as Professor X, we are likely going to be getting Mirage, Wolfsbane, Subspot, Cannonball, Magik, Warclock and Moonstar in the film.
- Fox has also cast actor Josh Brolin (currently Thanos in the Marvel Cinematic Universe) as Cable in the Deadpool sequel. WOW.
- YES!!!! Deathstroke will be returning to Arrow for the season finale as Oliver will seek out his help in defeating Prometheus and Talia al Ghul. Now the question is whether or not Manu Bennett will be reprising the role of Slade Wilson. Both actor Stephen Amell and producer Mark Guggenheim said it will be Bennett however he has since denied he is coming back. I believe he is just being coy about it to try and make it a surprise.
- Also returning to Arrow is Katrina Law a.k.a. Nyssa al Ghul to confront her sister Talia.
- Also returning for a season finale is actor Tyler Hoechlin a.k.a. Superman as he will be in the season 2 finale of CW’s Supergirl. Also joining him before seasons end is Calista Flockhart reprising her role as Cat Grant.
- Kylie Jenner has been confirmed to be receiving her own “Keeping Up With The Kardashian’s” spinoff on E!. I do not watch any of the KUWTK however Kylie is smoking hot so I may just check out a few episodes of this.
- Apparently the G.I. Joe movie franchise is being rebooted. From scratch with new actors and storylines and a more modern take on the story. Less gimmicks from the cartoons/comics and more grounded in reality.
Feel free to discuss whatever you'd like on the “Board” where I can do my best to answer anything you’d like. Also drop a comment in the comment box below as I try my best to answer in a timely fashion. You can also tweet me on the tweeter. I reply there as well. Questions, Corrections, Comments, Feedback or Ideas: EMAIL ME .