Good day to you all and welcome to We Want Insanity. I am your host for today, Matt Dawgs and this is my column. Today is the end of the work week and the time to look back at all the goings-on over the past seven days as I wrap it up with a bow and spout it out bit by bit. Buckle up. Enjoy the ride.
MATT NOTE: Rest in peace to Bobby Lombardi, the biggest name in independent wrestling that you may not have ever heard of. For those of you who don’t know, Bobby was the owner/operator/founder of the Doghouse in Brooklyn New York. The Doghouse was the place where a virtual “Who’s Who” of independent wrestlers in New York came from. The head trainer was “Da Notorious 187” Homicide and the school was once one of the best training schools in the country as basically everyone who was successful on the independent level in the late 90’s and early 2000’s trained at the Doghouse including Low-Ki, The Hit Squad (Dan Maff and Monsta Mack), The Tower of Torture Laython, The Christopher Street Connection, Lowlife Louie Ramos, The S.A.T., The Amazing Red, Brian XL, Deranged, Grim Reefer, The Dirty Rotten Scoundrelz, Boogalou, Eddie Guapo, The Greek God Papadon and Havok a.k.a. the Solution, The Elm Street Kids, Dany Yamz, Darkside, myself and countless others that I am probably forgetting. Sadly the Doghouse was shut down and all of those names went their separate ways and wrestling wasn’t the same again.
WWE NEWS AND NOTES:
- I have been accused in the past by people of being a WWE apologist. Despite me always pointing out their flaws in booking or their bad ideas, I somehow always fight a bright side. This week I will make those people happy because RAW and Smackdown sucked. There is no way around it nor is there any other way to describe it. I actually texted James Guttman during the first few minutes of Smackdown this week to have him talk me off the ledge because I was dangerously close to not even writing a column this week because I am just fed up. WWE has driven me to madness. The booking lacks sense, the angles are bad, the scripted promos are terrible and there is WAY TOO MANY HOURS OF WWE. I cannot stand it anymore. PPV’s ever two weeks, LITERALLY. Add that to three hours of RAW, two hours of Smackdown, an hour of NXT plus everything else I watch makes it seem more like a chore than entertainment. RAW had literally one redeeming quality this week and that was Chris Jericho and Kevin Owens. That is it. So therefore I am not reviewing Raw or Smackdown this week because I just don’t want to sit here and relive those shows. They weren’t good. Due to that, this column may seem extremely shorter than usual. That is why.
- A perfect example of how inept WWE is that they crowned a new WWE Cruiserweight Champion last Wednesday in the finals of the Cruiserweight Classic and then did not bother to introduce him to the RAW audience or have him appear on TV despite the fact that he was backstage. Way to get off the cruiserweight division on the right foot as something important.
- I do give credit for them following up on the “double pin” storyline with Sasha Banks and Bayley last week. That was completely unplanned but they fell into it and decided to go with it. As of last week, they were full steam ahead on Charlotte vs. Sasha. So something changed their minds.
- John Cena lost to Dean Ambrose CLEANLY on Smackdown this week. It was his first clean loss on Raw or Smackdown since 2012.
- WWE aired a Hispanic Heritage Month package on Eddie Guerrero. IT IS AWESOME.
- Randy Orton was in fact medically cleared to wrestle last week and did work WWE live events over the weekend in full matches.
- Paige was backstage at RAW on Monday however did not appear on television. She has hashed out all of her issues with WWE and is due back on the road once she is medically cleared.
- Luke Harper has been medically cleared and was also backstage at RAW. He is expected to be back on television soon and is currently training at the Performance Center.
- Emma has been medically cleared to return to the ring. No word on which show she will be on when she returns to television but she did referee a RAW Women’s tag match at a WWE Live Event over the weekend.
- Tamina Snuka has begun rehabbing her surgically repaired knee and noted that she is coming back. Realistically she is several months away from returning to action.
- Summer Rae hasn’t been used in any capacity on TV due to her rehabbing a neck injury. There is no timetable for her return.
- Congrats to NXT Star Johnny Gargano as he was married last weekend to independent female Candice LeRae last week in Disney World in Orlando.
- Looks like WWE may have struck out on the Ricochet sweepstakes as those close to him are noting that he is expressing interest in working in New Japan full time once he is free of his Lucha Underground deal.
- WWE Smackdown General Manager Daniel Bryan is pushing for WWE to release a documentary they filmed on him when he was training for his in ring return last year before he retired.
- You want to feel old? Shawn Michaels vs. Mankind as well as Mark Henry’s debut WWE match both took place 20 years ago yesterday. Boom.
- Former WWE Star Ryback had his name officially changed to Ryback Allen Reeves. So unless WWE appeals or takes him to court, he will likely be able to use the Ryback name independently for wrestling purposes.
- In an interesting turn of events, there are rumors that Devon Dudley has been offered a position as an agent/producer for WWE and that Bubba will be wrestling on the independents as a singles competitor.
- According to former OVW owner Kenny Bolin, former WWE Star Rico is in TERRIBLE SHAPE and is in need of financial assistance. Apparently Rico is currently suffering from terrible memory loss due to multiple concussions throughout his wrestling career in addition to a collapsed lung and severe heart issues. His ex-wife is currently caring for him noting that he will have a conversation with someone and 2 hours later completely forget not only the conversation but the person he spoke to. He has no disability thus is unable to work and his medical insurance can only cover so much. He has apparently been this way since January 2016. That is such a terrible story.
- In an interview with Newsweek, Dany Garcia a.k.a. The Rock’s ex-wife and business partner revealed that Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson has no formal legal arrangement with WWE and everything they have done since he returned to “host” Wrestlemania several years ago to today have been done on a handshake agreement. She noted that every time they set something up, it is just as simple as coming to terms and shaking hands. She also revealed that The Rock is in fact going to be collaborating on a WWE film with Seven Bucks Entertainment (The Rock’s production company) being co-producers on the film.
- Former WWE and TNA star Kharma (Awesome Kong in TNA) has been cast in the Netflix series “G.L.O.W.” based on the old Gorgeous Ladies Of Wrestling.
WWE RAW CLASH OF THE CHAMPIONS PPV is THIS SUNDAY from Indianapolis Indiana and the line-up is as follows:WWE UNIVERSAL TITLE: Kevin Owens © vs. Seth RollinsRAW TAG TEAM TITLES: The New Day © (Kofi Kingston/Big E./Xavier Woods) vs. The Club (Luke Gallows/Karl Anderson)RAW WOMEN’S TITLE: Charlotte © w/Dana Brooke vs. Sasha Banks vs. BayleyWWE US TITLE: Rusev © w/Lana vs. Roman ReignsWWE CRUISERWEIGHT TITLE: T.J. Perkins © vs. Brian KendrickFINAL MATCH OF BEST OF 7 SERIES: Sheamus vs. CesaroSami Zayn vs. Chris JerichoEnzo Amore & Big Cass vs. The Shining StarsAlicia Fox vs. Nia Jax
WWE SMACKDOWN NO MERCY PPV is on Sunday, October 9th, 2016 from Sacramento California and the line-up is as follows:WWE TITLE: “The Phenomenal” A.J. Styles © vs. Dean Ambrose vs. John CenaWWE SMACKDOWN WOMEN’S TITLE: Becky Lynch © vs. Alexa BlissWWE SMACKDOWN TAG TEAM TITLES: Heath Slater & Rhyno © vs. The Usos
TNA IMPACT WRESTLING NEWS and NOTES:
- While Billy Corgan is said to be the frontrunner on buying TNA with Aroluxe still owning their percentage and still interested in purchasing full control, apparently Sinclair Broadcasting (Owners of Ring of Honor) are back in the picture and have shown interest in purchasing. Imagine that? ROH being the 2nd biggest promotion in the United States?
- There is a timetable set for all of these negotiations as TNA needs funding ASAP or else they are going to be forced into filing for bankruptcy which would then force a sale and thus could have WWE swoop in similar to how they purchased WCW and scoop up all the assets for cheap. WWE did in fact make an offer for the TNA tape library but WWE usually pays $500 per hour of footage which for TNA would be about $1,000,000 and is much less than what they are willing to sell for since the rumor circulating is that Corgan is close to purchasing for $4,000,000.
- As expected, Brandi Rhodes has signed to join TNA as an active TNA Knockout. It is smart for her because her husband Cody cannot use the Rhodes name for TNA but she can since she never used it in WWE nor did they register the name. So when he is announced for matches, they can say Cody & Brandi Rhodes. They aren’t calling him Cody Rhodes. WWE can’t complain because while you get that they are married and share the same last name, TNA can claim that his name is just Cody.
- Cody will make his official TNA debut at Bound for Glory in October. He debuted last night in a spliced in video.
- Boy are the missing the boat on Aaron Rex or what? He is actually in the same boat he was in when he was in WWE. Yes, he is NOT doing a comedy gimmick but he isn’t being featured as a main event player either.
- While WWE would be unable to directly contact him, the rumor mill is buzzing that HHH has sent out feelers to Matt Hardy about coming back to WWE when his contract expires in early 2017. Long time between now and then but let’s keep this on the back burner for now because seeing “Broken” Matt in WWE would be amazing.
Ring of Honor / Lucha Underground / Independent / International News and Notes:
- Bull James (Formerly Bull Dempsey in NXT) made his Ring of Honor debut over the weekend.
- September 21st is now officially a holiday in Mexico as it has become “The Day of Lucha Libre”
- In a surprise, apparently Alberto El Patron is returning to AAA in Mexico and should debut on October 2nd’s Heroes Inmortales event.
- Kota Ibushi is back working for DDT in Japan.
- Johnny Gargano’s EVOLVE VIDEO PACKAGE.
MMA News and Notes:
- UFC is trying to add a HUGE double main event for their New York City debut on November 12th in Madison Square Garden although it isn’t with who many expected. As the talk of the town was the rumored bout for the UFC Lightweight title between Eddie Alvarez defending against Featherweight Champion Conor McGregor, UFC President Dana White announced that Eddie Alvarez will defend his title against the #1 contender, the undefeated Khabib Nurmagomedov in the co-main event. The main event of the show will be UFC Welterweight Champion Tyrone Woodley defending his title against Stephen “Wonderboy” Thompson. Here lies the problem, Eddie Alvarez had until yesterday to sign his contract for UFC 205 and he didn’t. So now UFC is targeting that fight for UFC 206. Alvarez didn’t sign because he wants to fight McGregor. Dana White claims that McGregor has a leg injury this is not going to be on the MSG card. McGregor’s camp however disputes that claim and says he will be ready for Alvarez in November for UFC 205. There are so many moving pieces and sub plots. Bottom line is I don’t understand Dana White’s obsession with NOT going to McGregor vs. Alvarez since it is a HUGE fight for UFC and will draw all sorts of record buy rates, especially at Madison Square Garden.
- Dana White has revealed that it is looking very possible that Ronda Rousey will fight for the UFC Women’s Bantamweight title vs. Amanda Nunez on the December 30th show in Las Vegas. They are looking to build that show as an event because they are targeting Daniel Cormier defending the Light Heavyweight title vs. Anthony “Rumble” Johnson that day as well.
- Mick Maynard, the owner and president of Legacy Fighting Championship has been hired as the new UFC Vice President of Talent Relations and assistant booker/matchmaker. Sean Shelby, the man who has been groomed for several years to be Joe Silva’s replacement in UFC as head matchmaker has officially been promoted to Senior Vice President of Talent Relations.
- Maynard’s former promotion has merged with Resurrection Fighting Alliance to become Legacy Fighting Alliance and will air exclusively on AXS TV and serve as a “minor league” feeding system to UFC. The new promotion will be run by Ed Soares also known as the longtime manager of UFC star Anderson Silva.
- It is a pity that UFC doesn’t have all the big name stars that they should because shows like last weekend’s UFC had some good shows but since there were no “names” on the show, it didn’t do the viewers like it should have. Michael Johnson looked hugely impressive in knocking out Dustin Poirier in the 1st round of the main event.
- Following his win over Alistair Overeem, UFC Heavyweight Champion Stipe Miocic has requested time off. He has fought 3 times in 2016 and has won all 3 by 1st round knockout. He would like to rest for a while meaning the UFC Heavyweight title will likely not be defended until spring/summer of next year. The #1 contender ship will likely be decided before then as Cain Velasquez is petitioning for Fabricio Werdum to avenge his title loss and take the spot.
- Nick Diaz STILL hasn’t paid his NSAC fine thus he is still suspended. So UFC can’t book his return on any shows until he pays the money he owes.
- For the first time in UFC history, two active UFC Champions will be doing full time color commentary on shows as Dominick Cruz will be the color man for this weekend’s show in Brazil and Daniel Cormier will be the color man on the October 1st show. The usual plethora of color guys are all out for various reasons which gave UFC a chance to experiment. Joe Rogan has it in his contract that he now only does UFC PPV shows in the United States. No international events. Kenny Florian is out to mourn the death of his brother who passed away last week. Dan Hardy usually only does Europe shows and Brian Stann is out for undisclosed reasons.
- According to reporter Jeremy Botter (a.k.a. the guy who broke the UFC sale story), C.M. Punk’s next MMA fight will in fact be in UFC according to his sources. This was not confirmed by anyone but Chael Sonnen did note that he and Punk speak daily and that Punk was back in Roofus Sport training.
- In an effort to get Sage Northcutt to accept his challenge, Mickey Gall offered a “hair vs. hair” fight. Not sure if Punk is coaching him or not but he knows what he is doing. He is going to talk his way into big money fights. It is amazing to me how few MMA fighters get this. Chael Sonnen got it. Conor McGregor mastered it. The Diaz Brothers do it by accident. There aren’t all that many else. Bisping to an extent and Dominick Cruz is figuring it out now. Who else really?
- As of yesterday, Cris “Cyborg” Justino weighed in at 155 lbs. for her fight tomorrow at 141 lbs. SMH.
- Al Iaquinta was forced to pull out of the UFC 205 show at Madison Square Garden. Amazingly enough he pulled out for financial reasons and NOT for injury. Iaquinta noted that due to the Reebok deal and his loss of sponsors, if he loses to Alves at MSG he would essentially be fighting that show for FREE. He will likely be replaced by Jim Miller.
UFC 204UFC MIDDLEWEIGHT TITLE: Michael Bisping © vs. Dan HendersonVitor Belfort vs. Gegard MousasiOvince Saint Preux vs. Jim ManuwaStefan Struve vs. Ruslan Magomedov
UFC 205UFC WELTERWEIGHT TITLE: Tyrone Woodley © vs. Stephen “Wonderboy” ThompsonFrankie Edgar vs. Jeremy StephensDonald Cerrone vs. Kevin GastelumRashad Evans vs. Tim KennedyThiago Alves vs. Jim MillerTim Boetsch vs. Rafael Natal
UFC 206TBD vs. TBD
Random Thoughts, Links, Pics, ETC.
- Random VIDEO of the week: Latest Trailer for “Marvel/Netflix’s Luke Cage”. DEBUTS NEXT FRIDAY!!!!!
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week: Official Trailer for “Passengers”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 2: Bucky Barnes a.k.a The Winter Soldier roasts Captain America.
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 3: Honest Trailer for “Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 4: Official Trailer for “Bastards”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 5: Official Trailer for “Ghost in the Shell”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 6: Official Trailer for “Fist Fight”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 7: Official Trailer for “Allied” a.k.a. The movie that ended Brad Pitt’s marriage.
- THIS LINK is for LIFE. Thank you soldiers. WELCOME HOME BLOG
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week: Sigh. My city. SMH.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 1: Hollywood’s #1 Power Couple is coming to an end. It is OVER for Bragelina.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 2: This f*cking guy....Jesus. Not only did he throw away his political career but this is screaming for prison time. Anthony Weiner, you need help bro.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 3: There is such thing as Uber and Lyft for a reason. 11 kids left behind all because “it was lit”??? Stupid.
- Random ARTICLE of the week PART 4: 100 years definitely NOT ENOUGH time.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 5: Honestly have ZERO CLUE why no one has put a basketball in his hand yet. Seriously, WTF??
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 6: This is where the U.S. is heading. This is certainly NOT GOOD. But when you have cops continuing to kill black people, it is only going to get worse.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 7: I hate people. I really do. This is so disheartening.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 8: regarding Article #6 above, if they don’t release the dash cam or body cam footage soon, it is only going to get worse. By the sounds of it, this is NOT a clean shooting. SMH. What is it with these cops just shooting away? Aim for a leg or a shoulder. Use a taser or something.
- Spider-Man: Homecoming actor Tom Holland recently posted a photo of Porsche headquarters in Atlanta Georgia. This is significant because that building is used in the Marvel Cinematic Universe as “Avengers Headquarters a.k.a. The Compound” meaning that he likely filmed scenes there.
- In an interesting interview with Yahoo, actor Hugo Weaving is backing off his past negative comments on playing the role of the Red Skull in “Captain America: The First Avenger” and appears open about returning to the MCU. Previously Weaving had noted that it wasn’t something he wanted to do again. He was glad he tried it and he did sign a multi picture deal so if they forced him to, he wouldn’t have a choice but didn’t think they would. Now he is more loose on it noting that he had fun playing the role even though it didn’t “test him” as an actor but said Marvel is different. It is pretty basic from an acting perspective where you just enjoy the fun of the films. He also said he isn’t in the loop as to what, if anything they want to do with the character but the door isn’t closed for him to return.
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. returned to television this week with a surprisingly very good episode and apparently an increased production budget since they introduced Ghost Rider to the show and he looked amazing. A ton of doors opened up for the season with many different avenues for them to explore. I am looking forward to it.
- I watched Fox’s “Lethal Weapon”. I admit it. I regret doing so. I am sorry. I will admit however that Clayne Crawford is a good Martin Riggs and is probably the only redeeming quality of the show. I don’t know him from anything but this so kudos to him. He isn’t a bad actor or a bad looking guy so hopefully this opens some more doors for him. Besides that though, I give it one season tops.
- I have been binge watching season 1 of “Quantico” on ABC and minus to the severe torture of Jack Bauer, this show is 24 on Steroids. Holy f*ck are there a lot of moving pieces and swerves going on. The show is NOT in my top 5 of all time by a longshot but is sure as hell entertaining. The acting is solid and I am digging the plot and stories that are keeping me guessing. I want to catch up soon so I can catch up in real time with the new season starting on Sunday. I am 13 episodes in so hopefully can catch the final 10 by Sunday.
- I still know nothing about Mr. Robot but now I am curious that Rami Malek captured an Emmy for best actor. That is awesome.
- Magnum P.I. is being rebooted for ABC with Tom Selleck’s character’s daughter Lily being the new investigator.
Feel free to discuss whatever you'd like on the “Board" where I can do my best to answer anything you’d like. Also drop a comment in the comment box below as I try my best to answer in a timely fashion. You can also tweet me on the tweeter. I reply there as well. Questions, Corrections, Comments, Feedback or Ideas: EMAIL ME .