Good day to you all and welcome to We Want Insanity. I am your host for today, Matt Dawgs and this is my column. Today is the end of the work week and the time to look back at all the goings-on over the past seven days as I wrap it up with a bow and spout it out bit by bit. Buckle up. Enjoy the ride.
MATT NOTE: Best wishes to independent star Danny Demanto. He and I haven’t seen eye to eye in real life in the past but no one wants to see someone get injured in this business. Demanto broke his femur while working for Jersey All Pro Wrestling over the weekend in Bayonne New Jersey when he overshot a moonsault and crashed into the guard rail. His doctors inserted a steel rod from his hip to his ankle in his leg and he was told that he will no longer be able to wrestle again. Incredibly terrible to hear since Demanto was one of the hardest workers on the independents. Get well soon dude.
WWE NEWS AND NOTES:
- Bill Goldberg has apparently signed a contract to return to the WWE and is expected to face off with Brock Lesnar at Survivor Series in November. This marks the 3rd wrestling superstar to have fences with WWE mended due to the WWE 2K video game with both Ultimate Warrior and Sting before him. I am assuming this will lead to a WWE Hall of Fame induction ceremony as well, possibly as soon as 2017. The reason WWE officials chose Survivor Series for the match is twofold. One, they are looking to hype the WWE 2K video game so they want it close to the release date which is next Tuesday. Secondly, WWE has Lesnar’s plans for the Royal Rumble and Wrestlemania already set and they likely involve Shane McMahon in some fashion.
- Still waiting for an official announcement but WWE is rumored to have acquired the TNA tape library. If so, WWE legitimately have almost the entire catalog of matches for Sting, Kurt Angle, The Dudley Boyz, the Hardy Boyz and a few others. They would also have a fairly huge composite of matches for A.J. Styles, Samoa Joe and Austin Aries so basically a ton of material for documentary DVD’s and career retrospectives.
- Sasha Banks winning back the WWE RAW Women’s title on Monday was one more step in the Women’s Revolution as it is expected to lead to Sasha defending the title vs. Charlotte in the 1ST EVER WOMEN’S HELL IN A CELL MATCH. Considering Sasha almost kills herself each and every match she is in, this cannot be the best idea but one thing is for sure is that both women deserve it since they continue to put on a hell of a performance each time they face each other. It was weird however that they switched the title back to Sasha on RAW on Monday since Hell in a Cell is in Boston Massachusetts which is Bank’s hometown.
- Emmalina? I am with it. Anything that can repackage her as hot and believable after that lame dancing gimmick that they saddled her with and had to send her back to NXT to shake off is good.
- As I say week after week after week, The Jericho/Owens bromance is the best thing WWE is putting on television week after week with Miz/Dolph Ziggler on Smackdown being a close second. If you don’t like Jericho and Owens as a duo well....you’re going on the list.
- Seth Rollins as a babyface, such a novel concept. If only someone had thought of that several months ago when he returned from knee surgery.
- Former WWE Star Alberto Del Rio was attacked in Texas by a man with a knife. The details are that he was involved in an auto accident and when he confronted the other driver, the driver attacked him with a knife. His girlfriend, WWE Superstar Paige got involved and was also assaulted (although not knifed) before the assailant escaped.
- Congratulations to Daniel Bryan and Brie Bella as they announced that they are expecting their first child together this coming spring.
- Tyson Kidd confirmed without officially saying so that his in ring career is over. It was expected since the type of injury he received is the exact same injury that made Christopher Reeve paralyzed from the neck down and there is zero chance that WWE would let him wrestle again even if he was cleared but he isn’t going to be cleared anyway. He noted that he was lucky to be alive let alone walking again as doctors told him that the injury has a 95% chance of death or permanent paralysis. So he falls into that 5% range of being a walking miracle. He said that he is living a pretty normal life now except that his head is still numb at times and he has a limited range of motion in his neck meaning he cannot turn his head like a normal person. He was told that the feeling in his head would eventually come back following his neck surgery but it still hasn’t.
- It is expected that Paige will be undergoing the dreaded neck fusion surgery which will keep her away from WWE for about 18 months. She has an option to get a less evasive surgery which will bring her back to action in about 3 – 6 months but she will run the risk of having to need surgery again later in life. Since she is only 24, she is leaning towards fusion.
- Eric Rowan has undergone rotator cuff surgery and will be out of action for 6 – 8 months. With Luke Harper due back any day now, despite him being backstage at RAW the past several weeks, they never officially announced which brand he was going to be on, if they want Bray Wyatt to have a “heavy” alongside him, they could always bring Harper to Smackdown to take Rowan’s place.
- Cool little surprise to see Kenny Dykstra and Mike Mondo reunite their Spirt Squad gimmicks to surprise Dolph Ziggler on Miz TV on Smackdown this week. Apparently WWE also contacted Johnny Jeter and Nick Mitchell to return but Jeter has left wrestling and has a full time permanent job that he was unable to get off from work for and Mitchell has moved to Israel and is heavily into religion out there and refused.
- Tough Enough female winner Sara Lee has been wished well in her future endeavors by WWE. She is actually expecting her first child with NXT Superstar Wesley Blake. So either she requested it or WWE wasn’t too happy with her not being able to perform.
- Jamie Noble is apparently in real bad shape following his attack/stabbing last week in front of his home. The knife pierces his spine and lung and he is still in the hospital. No word on the severity of his injuries other than that but as you can tell, that doesn’t sound like a walk in the park. Best wishes to him.
- Natalya had her two front teeth knocked out last weekend at a WWE Live Event in Las Vegas vs. Becky Lynch and had to have them replaced by a dentist.
- It is believed that Roderick Strong is set to make his NXT debut as Austin Aries mystery partner in the Dusty Classic which will we be the reuniting of Ring of Honor’s “Generation Next” from many years ago.
- Speaking of Strong, congrats to him and fiancé Marina Shafir of MMA’s Four Horsewomen as they are expecting their first child.
- There are rumors circulating that Paul Heyman is back to working on the WWE Creative Team. While that would be AMAZING if true, as far as I can tell, there is no truth to it at all.
- This year’s Royal Rumble is the 30th Anniversary of the show and the 20th anniversary of their record setting attendance figure at San Antonio’s Alamo Dome. That event, headlined by Shawn Michaels vs. Psycho Sid drew a paid attendance of 60,525. The record attendance for the Alamo Dome is 73,086 which WWE is looking to break.
- In his weekly podcast, Ric Flair revealed that he bedded actress Halle Berry back in 1997 following her divorce from baseball player David Justice. WHHHOOOOOOO!!!!! Berry has of course denied this stating she doesn’t even know who he is which is a ridiculous statement to make because Flair is/was friends with David Justice and both worked for the Ted Turner Organization with Flair once being booker for WCW thus meaning he had an office at CNN Center and Justice being a longtime member of the Atlanta Braves. At the time of the alleged incident, Flair was a MUCH BIGGER star than Berry as most of her big hits where she was a super star came after her divorce from Justice and in Atlanta back then, he was definitely a bigger local star. For him to have the timeline off the top of his head, I cannot imagine that he took the time to concoct a lie.
- Total Bellas debuted this week on E! Network and apparently is only 6 episodes. WTF? How in the world do you get a 6 episode season? That’s not a season. Either way, I caught the premiere and boy does John Cena come across like a huge d*ckhead. Holy sh*t, I cannot think of a reason WWE would allow the show to portray him like that. Assh*le 101 lessons from Cena in that episode. WOW.
- The new season of Total Divas debuts in November.
- Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson is the 4th highest paid actor in television as he makes apparently $400,000 per episode of HBO’s “Ballers” trailing only the $1,000,000 per episode of the main cast of CBS’ “Big Bang Theory”.
Speaking of The Rock, he sat down with WWE to do Random COMMENTARY on his WWE debut match.
WWE SMACKDOWN NO MERCY PPV is THIS SUNDAY from Sacramento California and the line-up is as follows:WWE TITLE: “The Phenomenal” A.J. Styles © vs. Dean Ambrose vs. John CenaWWE SMACKDOWN WOMEN’S TITLE: Becky Lynch © vs. Alexa BlissWWE SMACKDOWN TAG TEAM TITLES: Heath Slater & Rhyno © vs. The UsosWWE INTERCOTINENTAL TITLE: The Miz © w/Maryse vs. The Career of Dolph Ziggler. If Dolph loses, he leaves WWERandy Orton vs. Bray WyattJack Swagger vs. Baron CorbinNikki Bella vs. CarmellaCurt Hawkins debuts
WWE RAW HELL IN A CELL PPV is on Sunday, October 30th, 2016 from Boston Massachusetts and the line-up is as follows:HELL IN A CELL MATCH FOR THE WWE U.S. TITLE: Roman Reigns © vs. Rusev w/Lana HELL IN A CELL MATCH FOR THE WWE WOMEN’S TITLE: Sasha Banks © vs. Charlotte
TNA IMPACT WRESTLING NEWS and NOTES:
- Keep on keeping on. TNA still lives to air another day. While it was not Billy Corgan or Aroluxe, someone ended up paying for TNA to air the “Bound for Glory” PPV and this week’s subsequent television tapings. No word on whether or not this mystery investor now has equity stake in TNA as well. What I can tell you is that with this week taping of television, TNA has now bought enough time to stay in business until the end of November and depending on backstage vignettes, outside tapings such as anything involving the Hardy’s and other stuff, they could possibly make it through December or possibly January.
- The strong rumor circulating is that WWE has come to an agreement with Dixie Carter to purchase their entire tape library. Dixie Carter denied this in a speech to the talent prior to the television tapings on Monday claiming that she wouldn’t let Vince purchase TNA (meaning she wouldn’t sell to WWE just so they could buy the library as she wants to sell to someone who will keep the company open). But she was careful in her words to emphasize that she wouldn’t sell the company to WWE just for the tape library, not that she wouldn’t sell the library without selling the company. The story is that WWE purchased the library only which in fact would have been enough money to fund the PPV and subsequent television tapings and then Dixie can sell her remaining interest in the promotion to Billy Corgan or another buyer. Corgan has already made it known that he plans on rebranding TNA including the name thus wouldn’t need the library because his new promotion wouldn’t be part of the TNA lineage. He would be starting from scratch. While owning the library could be beneficial in the long run financially, he would still be able to purchase the talent contracts, television deals and trademarks therefore still could have a promotion.
- The PPV itself was nothing to write home about. It was subpar, even for TNA’s standards with the only major standout happenings being Gail Kim’s Hall of Fame induction which was said to be extremely well done and classy and “The Great War” between “Broken” Matt Hardy & Brother Nero w/Reby vs. The Decay.
- Surprisingly despite pushing him as a big time babyface in recent months, Ethan Carter III LOST to TNA Champion Bobby Lashley cleanly in the main event. I am not sure what that means for Carter since he was pushed hard leading into the match which is TNA’s version of Wrestlemania. It is also more suspicious since the very next day at the TNA Impact tapings that aired yesterday, Eddie Edwards defeated Lashley to capture the title.
- Cody also debuted with wife Brandi Rhodes.
- When is Davey Richards due back? I kind of feel like the American Wolves took a step backwards once they departing ROH.
- Billy Gunn was backstage at the TNA PPV on Sunday.
- TNA was scheduled to have television tapings yesterday and today however they postponed them to tomorrow at 6:00 pm ET and Sunday due to Hurricane Matthews expected to nail Florida today. Best wishes to everyone in TNA and in Florida as it is supposed to be a bad one with sustained winds hitting Florida today of 145 miles per hour.
- It is interesting that Eddie Kingston had a NXT Performance Center tryout last week in Orlando and sources say he was in fact offered a deal however he worked the TNA Impact Tapings this week under a mask alongside James Storm and Bram as a new masked stable. Not sure if he was just filling in since it is a masked character or if he is joining TNA over WWE.
Ring of Honor / Lucha Underground / Independent / International News and Notes:
- Apparently by many accounts, Ladder War 6 at ROH’s “All Star Extravaganza” PPV featuring the Young Bucks winning the ROH Tag Team Titles defeating The Addiction (Christopher Daniels & Frankie Kazarian) and the Motor City Machine Guns (Chris Sabin & Alex Shelly) was INSANE with many people claiming it surpassed the infamous TLC match of Edge/Christian vs. The Hardy Boys vs. The Dudleyz from WWE Summerslam 2000.
- Alberto El Patron was scheduled to main event the “Heroes De Immortales” AAA PPV show over the weekend in his big return to the promotion since he left last year as champion to go to WWE. Well he no showed the PPV with no explanation. So Triple A decided to make a point of making it known that he was a terrible person because he doesn’t care about fans, etc etc. The following day, the fully retracted that statement when it was revealed that El Patron was attacked by a knife wielding lunatic in San Antonio and left with defensive cuts on his arms and head. The incident happened when Alberto was involved in a minor traffic accident and he as well as the other driver both exited their cars and had words with each other. As Alberto walked away, he was attacked from behind. A police report was filed and he noted he doesn’t plan on missing any more dates. El Patron’s girlfriend, WWE Superstar Paige was with him at the time and got involved in the incident but was left unharmed.
- Best wishes to Lucha Underground’s P.J. Black formerly Justin Gabriel in WWE as he broke both of his ankles while base jumping in South Africa.
- Best of luck to Jack Evans who didn’t do himself any favors in a recent interview discussing AAA. In his interview, he showed a ton of praise for “persona non grata” Konnan saying that the booking in AAA was better when Konnan was around and he missed the creative input he used to give, etc. Not the best idea to try and navigate political waters behind the scenes when you are praising the former booker while burying the current product.
- Thoughts and prayers go out to Japanese wrestling legend Masa Saito as he is battling Parkinson’s Disease and is said to be in real bad shape physically.
MMA News and Notes:
- WME-IMG has released a list of the new partial ownership in UFC which includes a “Who’s Who” of celebrities who can now claim they own a stake in UFC. The list is as follows: Abel TesfayeAdam LevineAnthony KiedisBen AffleckCalvin HarrisCam NewtonConan O'BrienFleaGuy FieriJimmy KimmelLi NaLL Cool JMaria SharapovaMark WahlbergMichael BayRob DyrdekRobert KraftSerena WilliamsSylvester StalloneTom BradyTrey ParkerTyler PerryVenus Williams
- UFC fighter Josh Samman passed away on Wednesday after he and his roommate were found over the weekend in their Florida home. Samman was unresponsive with low vitals while his roommate ring announcer Troy Kirkingburg was found dead. Samman had a noted history of drug abuse in the past including him writing in his book that he had suicidal thoughts following the death of his girlfriend back in 2013. Tragic. Samman was 28 years old. His most recent UFC fight was on July 13th which was a loss via knock out by UFC veteran Tim Boetsch.
- Four Horsewomen member Marina Shafir is expecting her first child with fiancé and WWE NXT talent Roderick Strong. Shafif and Strong met each other when she along with Ronda Rousey and Shayna Baszler attended PWG’s shows in California.
- DOWN GOES PENN!!!! B.J. Penn is once again OUT of his UFC return next weekend as he was injured during training and will not be able to main event the UFC Fight Night 97 vs. Ricardo Lamas. This was scheduled to be his first fight since a 2014 loss to Frankie Edgar. Rather than replace Penn who was the entire draw of the show, UFC decided to cancel the show altogether. So there will NOT be a UFC Fight Night next week. UFC revealed that all of the fighters scheduled to be on the show will be rebooked for upcoming UFC events this year and all will be compensated for the cancellation.
- Jose Aldo is sticking to his guns even though he has had time to cool off. He is saying that he no longer wants to fight for UFC again including if they offered him Conor McGregor. He is done. His quote was: “I hear a lot of people say the reason I don’t call the shots and that I’m not happy with my income is that I don’t sell fights. People have said that to me and they’ve said it about me. I’ve heard people say, `Jose needs to be a better marketer; he needs to sell his fights more.’ But that’s not the philosophy I was raised with. My coach is a martial artist. I’m a martial artist. What we do starts with respect. Where the sport is going it not respectful. The people who are selling fights are people who are giving each other the middle finger, throwing objects at press conferences, getting caught snorting cocaine and making headlines for all kinds of wrong reasons. What I was taught and what I believe in is, I do my best inside the cage. I believe people want to watch me for my ability as an athlete...If the direction the sport is going is you’ve got to make headlines for the wrong reasons in order to be worthy of respect and in order to be worthy of the right income, it’s not something I’ll ever be on board with.”
- Jon Jones joined Brock Lesnar in having his hearing regarding his USADA failure in July postponed. It was scheduled for Monday, October 10th. With that, The Nevada State Athletic Commission has delayed the hearing entirely meaning that the Conor McGregor and Nate Diaz bottle throwing incident will also be pushed to a later date. Lesnar had requested a continuance several weeks ago and it was granted.
- Khabib Nurmagomedov made it public this week that if he defeats Michael Johnson at UFC 205 in Madison Square Garden and still doesn’t get his lightweight title shot at the winner of Eddie Alvarez vs. Conor McGregor then he is never going to fight in UFC again.
- UFC has a December 9th show in Albany New York the night before UFC 206. Announced Gian Villante vs. Patrick Cummins.
- Mickey Gall got his wish. UFC announced that Gall will face Sage Northcutt on December 17th on a UFC Fight Night.
- Bellator Star Tito Ortiz announced that he is going to fight Chael Sonnen in January.
UFC 204 is TOMORROW from Manchester England and the line-up is as follows:UFC MIDDLEWEIGHT TITLE: Michael Bisping © vs. Dan HendersonVitor Belfort vs. Gegard MousasiOvince Saint Preux vs. Jim ManuwaStefan Struve vs. Ruslan Magomedov
UFC 205 is on Saturday, November 12th, 2016 from NEW YORK CITY and the line-up is as follows:UFC LIGHTWEIGHT TITLE: Eddie Alvarez © vs. UFC Featherweight Champion Conor McGregorUFC WELTERWEIGHT TITLE: Tyrone Woodley © vs. Stephen “Wonderboy” ThompsonUFC WOMEN’S STRAWWEIGHT TITLE: Joanna Jedrzejczyk © vs. Karolina KowaliewiczChris Weidman vs. Yoel RomeroDonald Cerrone vs. Kevin Gastelum
Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Michael JohnsonFrankie Edgar vs. Jeremy StephensRashad Evans vs. Tim KennedyMiesha Tate vs. Raquel PenningtonThiago Alves vs. Jim MillerTim Boetsch vs. Rafael Natal
FOX SPORTS 1:
UFC 206 is on Saturday, December 10th, 2016 in Toronto Canada and the line-up is as follows: UFC LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE: Daniel Cormier © vs. Anthony “Rumble” Johnson
Random Thoughts, Links, Pics, ETC.
- Random VIDEO of the week: Teaser for “Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week: CW’s Super Hero Fight Club V2. For those who missed it last week when the link was pulled.
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 2: Honest Trailer for CW’s “The Flash”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 3: Official Teaser for “Jackie”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 4: Official Teaser for “War For the Planet of the Apes”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 5: Official Trailer for “Patriots Day”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 6: Official Trailer for “Allied”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 7: Official Trailer for “Get Out”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 8: Official Teaser for “Resident Evil: The Final Chapter”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 9: Fox News weatherman Shepherd Smith TELLS IT LIKE IT IS!!!!!
- THIS LINK is for LIFE. Thank you soldiers. WELCOME HOME BLOG
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week: Say what you want about her or her family due to their success basically for doing nothing but this shouldn’t happen to anyone regardless of how you feel about them. Terrible.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 1: Not saying I am voting for Donald Trump by any means but this report right here is severely troubling. Just saying.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 2: F*ck this guy. I was actually in Georgia for one of my dearest friend’s wedding and this was the talk of the town. All over the news no matter what channel. So I certainly hope he is subjected to extreme torture and pain for the rest of his worthless life while he is in prison.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 3: Pray for the Caribbean and Florida right now. 145 mph winds? WOW.
- Random ARTICLE of the week PART 4: 100% Hoax.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 5: Very interesting. I say, NOT A HOAX. I am one of the believers in him so this could be the breakthrough to find him.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 6: Hate stories like this. So sad.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 7: Go ahead and tell me that vigilante justice should be illegal. F*ck this guy and I hope he is tortured in prison every day for the rest of his life.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 8: Weather reporting like a BOSS!!! Props to Shepherd Smith for keeping it real.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 9: YES!!! BWAAHAAAHAAA!!!! I 100% condone this. Sorry not sorry.
- So the CW’s “Super” shows kicked off this week with the premiere of Flash and Arrow and I am torn. I am still debating whether I liked or hated Flash. I get that everything had to turn back to normal for Barry because he couldn’t live in an alternate timeline however....I do kind of feel like we got ripped off. Flashpoint could have stretched out for 3 – 4 episodes before it was corrected. I feel like it was rushed. As for Arrow, I really want to like this show again and the premiere was a step in that direction with Oliver back to his killing ways which he honestly shouldn’t have left but they make it exceedingly difficult for that to happen. I hope they stay the course and keep Arrow doing what he does which made season 1 so popular. By the way, Thea mentioned that she saw Oliver snap that guy’s neck killing him and she can’t believe he is back to that. Um...so when he shoots arrows into people’s chests he isn’t killing them?
- Marvel/Netflix revealed earlier this week that “Iron Fist” will launch on March 17, 2017.
- Speaking of the Marvel/Netflix universe, season 1 of the Punisher has begun filming in Brooklyn New York this week with Jon Bernthal reprising his role from Daredevil Season 2 as Frank Castle. Being that they have already begun filming, could 2017 become the first year that Marvel/Netflix release 3 shows in one calendar year instead of the usual 2? It has been revealed that actor Ben Barnes who was cast and rumored to play the main villain for the show is actually playing the role of Billy Russo, Frank Castle’s best friend from his military days.
- “Spider-Man: Homecoming” wrapped production over the weekend which leaves me some hope that some sort of trailer may drop at Comic Con in NY this weekend. Fingers crossed.
- Also wrapping up filming last weekend is DC’s “Justice League”.
- Actor/Director Ben Affleck confirmed that the stand-alone Batman film in the DCEU will be titled ”The Batman”.
- Arrow executive producer Wendy Mericle confirmed earlier this week that the Flashpoint storyline introduced on CW’s “The Flash” will not only effect all of the CW’s shows but will re-introduce Dinah Laurel Lance a
- The Walking Dead creator Robert Kirkman revealed that he plans on ending the show differently from how the comic will end because the show will likely end while the comic is still on-going. He didn’t say that the show is ending anytime soon however he noted that they are getting close to the comics as far as stories go and he while he knows how the comic is ending, he doesn’t want the TV show spoil that because he knows the show will end before the comic does. Essentially he said that if the show ends before the comic, he will sit with show runner Scott Gimple and come up with a completely new ending.
- 20th Century Fox has revealed the title for the 3rd Wolverine Film will NOT be Wolverine 3 but instead be titled “Logan”.
Feel free to discuss whatever you'd like on the “Board" where I can do my best to answer anything you’d like. Also drop a comment in the comment box below as I try my best to answer in a timely fashion. You can also tweet me on the tweeter. I reply there as well. Questions, Corrections, Comments, Feedback or Ideas: EMAIL ME .