Good day to you all and welcome to We Want Insanity. I am your host for today, Matt Dawgs and this is my column. Today is the end of the work week and the time to look back at all the goings-on over the past seven days as I wrap it up with a bow and spout it out bit by bit. Buckle up. Enjoy the ride.
MATT NOTE: Jumper Cable.
WWE NEWS AND NOTES:
- Goldberg makes his WWE return next Monday on RAW. This will mark his first official appearance since Wrestlemania XX in Madison Square Garden. He is going to accept Brock Lesnar’s challenge issued on RAW Monday by Paul Heyman and they two will fight at Survivor Series in November. Brock is expected to be back on the October 24th RAW from the Target Center in his home town of Minneapolis Minnesota.
- By the way, as I have said a million times, no one is better than Paul Heyman than selling something. He made Goldberg seem like he was on the level of Brock Lesnar simply by praising him as a gladiator and noting that in their only encounter, Goldberg won. It is amazing that a simple microphone can make him such an important factor in selling things.
- WWE Women Superstar Paige has been suspended for 60 days for her 2nd violation of the WWE Wellness Policy. This is her 3nd violation within the last 3 months and WWE has a 3 strikes and you are out policy so either she is really extremely stupid (which is quite possible) or she is trying to get fired so she can go gallivant around the world with her boyfriend, former WWE Star Alberto Del Rio.
- Paige commented on her suspension via social media before deleting it. She wrote: “Same sh*t different day. Kids. Please don’t get prescriptions or doctor’s notes. Not acceptable. Rules apply depending on your status.” She and her family are apparently claiming that she was suspended for pain medications that were prescribed from someone OTHER than a WWE doctor. WWE will allow prescriptions from other doctors in they are in fact informed first and the doctor has been vetted. This is part of the Wellness policy to keep WWE Superstars from finding “mark doctors” who will give those drugs without checkups, etc.
- WWE however shot down her and her family’s claims real quick in a statement noting “Saraya-Jade Bevis tested positive for an illegal substance, not a prescribed drug. In addition, WWE is providing her with World Class medical care for her in-ring injury.” Boom.
- Paige has noted that she is undergoing neck surgery on Wednesday which is actually against WWE’s will as they think she can rehab and recover in a few months and WWE doctors did not think it was necessary to have surgery at this time.
- WWE Smackdown Women’s Champion Becky Lynch missed the “No Mercy” PPV on Sunday due to an undisclosed, non-performance related medical issue. Essentially she is NOT injured but has a health issue that is personal. She is set to return and defend her title on November 8th vs. Alexa Bliss. Yes, I know it is an extremely weird coincidence that her return from her medical condition is exactly 30 days.
- John Cena is once again done with the company for the immediate future as he is off to film season 2 of “American Grit” for FOX. He is not expected back until after Christmas thus will be missing Survivor Series and the TLC PPV in December.
- Cena’s match on Sunday at “No Mercy” set for new WWE record for main events as it was his 68th PPV main event surpassing both HHH and the Undertaker.
- As I said last week, Bray Wyatt needs a “heavy” hence why Luke Harper was sent to Smackdown to replace the injured Eric Rowan. Harper was set to return to RAW before Rowan went down with his injury.
- If you skipped No Mercy like most did due to football or the presidential debate, do yourself a favor and go watch the Miz vs. Dolph Ziggler match. It was the best match of the show and EASILY the best match of Miz’s career. Miz has seemed to get his confidence back that he lost after he headlined Wrestlemania several years back vs. John Cena. Remember that? He was the top heel in the company and doing some of his best work ever. Then once he lost the title and was buried shortly after Mania, he seemed like a job guy. Well the past several months have done him well and he is at the top of his game both promo and work rate wise. Good for him.
- Someone who didn’t skip No Mercy was Vince McMahon. 2 weeks removed from surgery to repair a torn quad, he was back at the gorilla position at the PPV WITHOUT crutches. He had on a huge brace on his leg and was walking around uncomfortably but did not use crutches which honestly is not a smart idea.
- Where is Curt Hawkins? He was supposed to debut at No Mercy and instead showed up on the pre-show. He then did not appear on Smackdown. Am I missing something? Weren’t they making his return a big deal?
- Glad to see the Spirit Squad are “back”. There are a lot of times where WWE brings back talents for a short run and they end up getting signed for longer term such as Marty Jannetty, Tatanka, etc.
- James Ellsworth is getting a shot at the WWE Title next week on Smackdown vs. A.J. Styles.
- Looks like WWE is full steam ahead with the cross promotional matches on the “Big 4” PPV’s as Shane McMahon challenged RAW to a 5 on 5 traditional “Survivor Series” match in November. He said that RAW should use their “Best 5” guys. So I will be extremely disappointed when it is mid-card talents and not the main event acts. Realistically if it is the top guys from each brand, excluding Brock Lesnar, it should be RAW with Kevin Owens/Seth Rollins/Roman Reigns/Chris Jericho/Rusev vs. A.J. Styles/John Cena/Dean Ambrose/Randy Orton/Dolph Ziggler. I am going to be PISSED when I see Jack Swagger, R-Truth, Goldust, etc involved in this match.
- And just like that, Cruiserweights aren’t cruiserweights anymore. WWE has gotten rid of the “weight limit” for Cruiserweights. For the Cruiserweight Classic Tournament, WWE was shoot weighing wrestlers before their matches to make sure they were under 205 lbs. Well on Monday, it was announced during RAW that Sin Cara will be in the cruiserweight division going forward despite the fact that he hasn’t weighed 205 lbs. since he was probably in High School. This is a Vince McMahon edict because apparently small people aren’t able to fight. Brian Kendrick is an example of this as in the CWC he was listed as 158 lbs which was his legit weight. He now weighs in at 174 lbs. while on RAW.
- Why isn’t Neville being added to the cruiserweight division? They aren’t going to seriously push him ever so make him the centerpiece of the division.
- DOWN GOES ITAMI. The man has had the worst streak of luck EVER and I feel sincerely bad for him now as he suffered a neck injury at an NXT Live Event on October 1st and it is serious enough where he may not EVER return. He took a “snap” power slam similar to the one Randy Orton does and he was spiked on his head. He has not wrestled since then although has appeared on television through pre-taped matched for NXT. He was scheduled to return to the Dusty Rhodes Classic tag team tournament teaming with Kota Ibushi but that will no longer be happening. Itami has already missed a significant amount of time due to his shoulder injuries which caused him to miss over 18 months before he returned to action this past June. Upon returning, the effects of the shoulder injury still lingered as he was not wrestling at 100% and was still limited. This neck injury, should he be able to return, will keep him out of action for several more months.
- WWE Cruiserweight Champion T.J. Perkins has replaced Hideo Itami in the tag team tournament as Kota Ibushi’s partner.
- Shinsuke Nakamura will defend his NXT Heavyweight title vs. Samoa Joe at the NXT Takeover: Toronto event the day before Survivor Series in November.
- Bursting my bubble but Bobby Roode noted in an interview that “Glorious” was written and recorded for another WWE Superstar however he did not note who.
- At the NXT tapings yesterday in Orlando it was revealed that Asuka will defend the NXT Women’s Title against the returning MICKIE JAMES at NXT Takeover: Toronto in November.
- Also at the tapings was the debut of Roderick Strong as Austin Aries teammate for the tournament. I am looking forward to a tournament finals of Aries & Strong vs. Ciampa & Gargano.
- WWE will tape their annual Tribute to the Troops show on December 13th in Washington DC. This will be the 1st time the show is held in the nation’s capital.
- Congrats to WWE Hall of Famer Trish Stratus as she announced earlier this week that she is expecting her 2nd child. She recently turned 40 years old.
- Former WWE Star Perry Saturn has a Go Fund Me up noting that he is dealing with a serious brain injury caused by his years of wrestling and he now lives with constant headaches and sensitivity to light, inability to work, drive and is suffering from early stage dementia. His wife has quit her job and has become his full time caregiver. Chris Jericho, as usual donated to the fund paying a few thousand dollars.
WWE RAW HELL IN A CELL PPV is on Sunday, October 30th, 2016 from Boston Massachusetts and the line-up is as follows:HELL IN A CELL MATCH FOR THE WWE UNIVERSAL TITLE: Kevin Owens © vs. Seth RollinsHELL IN A CELL MATCH FOR THE WWE U.S. TITLE: Roman Reigns © vs. Rusev w/Lana HELL IN A CELL MATCH FOR THE WWE WOMEN’S TITLE: Sasha Banks © vs. CharlotteWWE CRUISERWEIGHT TITLE: T.J. Perkins © vs. Brian Kendrick
TNA IMPACT WRESTLING NEWS and NOTES:
- This company, even on their deathbed continues to find new and improved ways to fascinate me with their ridiculousness. Billy Corgan, president of TNA has filed a lawsuit against....TNA and filed a restraining order against TNA majority owner Dixie Carter and her husband Serg Salinas. You cannot make this sh*t up if you tried. A temporary injunction against Carter, TNA Entertainment and Impact Ventures is set to be heard next Thursday in Nashville Court with the filings remaining sealed meaning we do not know what Corgan is suing for at this time. The restraining order is likely to prevent Dixie and Serg from selling the company to another party, filing for bankruptcy or liquidating their assets. It is believed that Corgan was misled in investing in TNA as he believes he should have first right to purchase the promotion due to him financing past shows.
- Another lawsuit has been uncovered by Audience of One Production who is suing TNA for money owed. With all of these creditors coming out of the woodwork, one would think that the window of selling is getting smaller and TNA is eventually going to have to file for bankruptcy.
- This weekend is a pay period for TNA and there is belief that several talents are expecting to become free agents claiming breach of contract and will not be back in January. No word on whether these are big name talents or what but things are not looking good for the company as a whole unless they get sold sooner rather than later.
- As it stands, due to the latest set of television tapings, TNA has enough programming to last until January. They taped all shows up to December 8th. Then the December 15th episode will be a 2 hour episode entirely filmed on Matt Hardy’s estate, essentially a “Hardy movie”. The final 2 weeks of December will be recap/best of shows. No tapings for January have been announced yet but Dixie Carter now has a little more than 2 months to finally sell the company.
- According to sources, things are not good between Carter and Corgan with Corgan as well as Aroluxe extremely upset that a deal has not been done and everything fell apart when deals were close to being finalized. All the heat is now on Carter as she is the one causing these deals to implode.
- The Impact episodes that are airing are all from the brain trust of Corgan. He is in charge now from a creative end.
- WWE seems to be completely out of the picture now regarding the tape library as those in charge (i.e. Vince) feel it is better off for the company to go out of business and they scoop in during bankruptcy proceedings and pick the bones. John Gaburick was pushing his old mentor Kevin Dunn hard to get the deal done because he would have gotten back into WWE after that as part of the negotiations was for him to have a place back in the company.
- Matt Hardy tweeted about wanting to buy TNA. He was in character when he did so although he is apparently in character 100% of the time now but he wasn’t serious, although he does have the money to afford it.
- The December 15th episode of Impact that will be taped from the Hardy Compound is set to be a tag team tournament of sorts with Matt Hardy inviting all teams from everywhere to come and compete including “The Bucks of Youth”, “The Express who Rocks and Rolls”, “The Bulldogs of Britain” and “The Days of the New”. The show will also feature the in-ring debut of 1 year old King Maxel.
Ring of Honor / Lucha Underground / Independent / International News and Notes:
- Alberto El Patron’s story has changed ONCE AGAIN as he was on Taz’s radio show as well as TMZ this week and said that the incident started because someone disrespected his girl and he had to take care of it and whatever happened, happened. It is in the past and he has moved on. So it went from “car accident” to “homeless guy” to “someone disrespecting my girl”. I said it since the incident in Las Vegas several months ago; this relationship isn’t going to end well.
- El Patron also noted that he will be working for Ring of Honor again and that he has spoken with TNA and is willing to work there as well so long as they can come to the right financial arrangement.
- The NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 11 show has a main event. Kazuchika Okada will defend the IWGP Heavyweight Championship vs. Kenny Omega.
- Despite still working independently for WWE, Kota Ibushi returned to New Japan Pro Wrestling over the weekend under a mask as “Tiger Mask W”. He will be wrestling on the Wrestle Kingdom 11 show in January. He is NOT under NJPW contract.
- Michael Elgin has suffered a fractured orbital bone last weekend at the King of Pro Wrestling show for New Japan. He is scheduled for surgery soon and was looking to return for New Japan’s Power Struggle show on November 5th which is 100% unrealistic. He was scheduled for a NJPW Intercontinental Title show vs. Naito but will now be replaced by Jay Lethal.
- New Japan is teasing a split of Roppongi Vice with Trent Baretta walking away from Rocky Romero following a trios match loss last weekend.
- Some people just don’t get it or are “too cool for school”. Apparently Matt Sydal is likely NEVER going to be able to wrestle in Japan again. The reason he missed the New Japan shows a few weeks back with no announcement and ended up going to Hawaii and waiting there was because he was caught in Japan at customs with a vape pen and liquid cannabis. For those who do not know, Japan has some of the stiffest drug laws in the world so the fact that he was caught trying to get into the country with some if a huge negative on him and makes it unlikely that he will be allowed in again.
MMA News and Notes:
- She’s officially back. UFC President Dana White confirmed on Wednesday that the UFC 207 main event on December 30th will be Amanda Nunes defending her UFC Women’s Bantamweight title vs. Ronda Rousey. White did confirm that should Rousey win, he expects to make a Rousey vs. Cyborg fight after that although likely at a catch weight meaning non-title.
- A Cinderella story almost took place last weekend at UFC 204 as Dan Henderson out a BEATING on UFC Middleweight Champion Michael Bisping and almost captured the UFC Middleweight title in what was Henderson’s final MMA fight as he said going in that he was retiring, win or lose. He reiterated it following the fight that he is done with fighting. Bisping won the fight but it was close and while I think he personally won, I could see the argument for Henderson winning. Bisping did not look great in the outing and Chris Weidman was quick to point that out saying that he feels sorry for Bisping.
- With the win, Bisping is now the all-time record holder for UFC wins with 20. He has tied both Frank Mir and Tito Ortiz will most fights in UFC history at 27,
- UFC Featherweight Champion Conor McGregor was fined $150,000 for his water bottle throwing incident the day before UFC 202. McGregor promptly responded via Twitter noting that he gets fined more than most of the bums he fights get paid. I love him. He did also began saying publically that he no longer plans on fighting in Las Vegas because of the fine as Jon Jones and Daniel Cormier were both fined significantly less for their press conference FIGHT which punches were thrown as Jones got $25,000 and Cormier got $9,000. You also get fined less for failing a PED test. So McGregor thinks it is excessive and Dana White actually agreed noting that “Las Vegas needs Conor more than Conor needs Vegas.” He’s 100% right on that.
- The reason Nate Diaz was NOT fined or suspended for “vaping” at the post fight press conference for UFC 202 was because the NSAC noted that he has NEVER failed a test and his defense was that he thought the in-competition drug testing was done because he took a drug test immediately upon returning to the locker room following his fight with Conor McGregor. He was issued a public warning which he accepted and promised never to vape cannabis again during press conferences.
- Throw Dominick Cruz in the mix as those who want in on the McGregor sweepstakes. He went public that he will fight McGregor at either Featherweight or Lightweight.
- White also confirmed this week that it is unlikely we will see C.M. Punk’s next fight in a UFC Octagon.
- Major props to Luke Rockhold as news has become public that he is dating Demi Lovato.
- Mickey Gall, despite getting the fight he wanted vs. Sage Northcutt on December 17th on UFC on FOX is still pushing for the fight to be a “hair vs. hair” fight. Gall is awesome.
- PaigeVanZant vs. Michelle Waterson will main event the 12/17 Fox show.
- White is set to meet with Jose Aldo next Wednesday to discuss his future and the possibility of being let out of his contract. Aldo noted that he does not care to fight for another promotion and plans on retiring from MMA. He knows he is fairly young still and has a lot of years left but he was contemplating retirement before his fight with McGregor and the only reason he didn’t retire is because he lost and wanted to avenge the loss. Since that keeps being sidelined due to McGregor or UFC so he is done and wants to pursue other interests in life.
- Dave Sholler, head of UFC’s Public Relations will be leaving the company after the Madison Square Garden show has taken a job with the Philadelphia 76ers of the NBA. Sholler is one of the latest departures from company management following the sale of the company from the Fertitta’s to WME-IMG. Many others are expected to depart in the coming months as WME-IMG is planning on putting their own people into positions.
- Apparently the hold up in bringing back George St. Pierre is that his rumored price tag to return is $10,000,000.00. That is a doable number all depending on PPV buys as in order to reach that number profit alone means a UFC PPV needs about 250,000 buys. So in order for a GSP PPV to be profitable for the company it would need to do 600,000 PPV buys. GSP’s return and if he wins, subsequent fights will do that number easily. There have been strong rumblings that his return fight will be a “super fight” vs. Anderson Silva at UFC 206 in Toronto on December 10th.
- Alberto Rodriquez (Alberto El Patron formerly Alberto Del Rio) was named President of Combate Americas this week. He is the “Dana White” of the promotion. The show is aimed at Hispanics and airs events on UFC Fight Pass as well as NBC Universo. Combate Americas has also hired El Patron’s former WWE Ring Announcer, Jesus “Ricardo” Rodriquez to be their full time ring announcer and also hired Frank Shamrock to do the color commentary for the English language broadcasts.
UFC 205 is on Saturday, November 12th, 2016 from NEW YORK CITY and the line-up is as follows:UFC LIGHTWEIGHT TITLE: Eddie Alvarez © vs. UFC Featherweight Champion Conor McGregorUFC WELTERWEIGHT TITLE: Tyrone Woodley © vs. Stephen “Wonderboy” ThompsonUFC WOMEN’S STRAWWEIGHT TITLE: Joanna Jedrzejczyk © vs. Karolina KowaliewiczChris Weidman vs. Yoel RomeroDonald Cerrone vs. Kevin GastelumMiesha Tate vs. Raquel Pennington
FOX SPORTS 1:Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Michael JohnsonFrankie Edgar vs. Jeremy StephensRashad Evans vs. Tim KennedyThiago Alves vs. Jim MillerTim Boetsch vs. Rafael Natal
UFC 206 is on Saturday, December 10th, 2016 in Toronto Canada and the line-up is as follows: UFC LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE: Daniel Cormier © vs. Anthony “Rumble” Johnson
UFC ON FOX is on Saturday, December 17th, 2016 from Sacramento California and the line-up is as follows:Paige VanZant vs. Michelle WatersonSage Northcutt vs. Mickey Gall
UFC 207 is on Friday, December 30th, 2016 from Las Vegas Nevada and the line-up is as follows:UFC WOMEN’S BANTAMWEIGHT TITLE: Amanda Nunes © vs. Ronda RouseyDoo Ho Choi vs. Cub Swanson
Random Thoughts, Links, Pics, ETC.
- Random VIDEO of the week: Official Trailer for “John Wick: Chapter 2”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week: Official Trailer for Marvel/Netflix “Iron Fist”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 2: Teaser for “War for the Planet of the Apes”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 3: Sneak Peek at Sunday’s premiere of “AMC’s The Walking Dead”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 4: Official Trailer for “Power Rangers”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 5: Latest Trailer for Marvel’s “Dr. Strange”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 6: Honest Trailer for “X-Men Apocalypse”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 7: How Suicide Squad Should Have Ended.
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 8: Luke Cage Meets Family Matters!!!!
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 9: The Avengers Meets Full House!!!!
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 10: FINAL Trailer for “Star Wars: Rogue One”
- THIS LINK is for LIFE. Thank you soldiers. WELCOME HOME BLOG
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week: Whoever legalizes vigilante justice is getting my vote for the presidential election. So if Trump changes his campaign tomorrow and says that seeking out justice for sickos like this is legal, I am all Team Trump.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 1: I guess this finally ends all of the Galaxy vs. iPhone comparisons huh?
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 2: Not all cops are bad people. We just hear more about the bad murdering ones than we do about these.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 3: Said it when it happened back in 2014, said it when it officially went to trial and saying it again now, F*CK THIS GUY. 0% chance it was an accident and reading this article which details that the 22 month old boy had scratch marks on him as he tried to scratch his way out of his car seat in the oven-like car makes me sick to my stomach.
- Random ARTICLE of the week PART 4: For those not following but worried that Trump will become President, the wheels have been falling off the bus all week long.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 5: Fingers crossed for these kids. I hope they pull through.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 6: Was the Kim Kardashian Paris heist made up? Lots of weird questions left unanswered.
- In 42 minutes on Monday, Supergirl on the CW Network did more for the Superman character than 2 movies by Warner Brothers did. He was exactly what Henry Cavill NEEDS to be. He nailed it.
- With that being said, Supergirl kind of rebooted to the new show with the new headquarters (which was apparently already there) in National City, Wynn leaving Cat Co. and joining the D.O.D., Cat Grant likely on her way out of National City, Kara becoming a reporter and ending her blooming relationship with James before it even started. There was a lot of resetting going on. Regarding the James thing, this is a complete retcon of the character as he isn’t the Jimmy Olsen of the comic book as it was revealed by the Executive Producer in an interview that James is going to become the DC Comics vigilante known as “The Guardian”
- I like the after effects of Flashpoint on the Flash. Yes, I still wish that Flashpoint would have been a handful of episodes instead of just one but the fact that it rippled down into his timeline being changed and now making minor changes on Arrow as well such as Diggle’s daughter Sara now being a son named John Jr who ultimately becomes Connor Hawke. It shows that time travel ALWAYS has effect on things.
- I haven’t checked the ratings for Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. in the new timeslot yet but the show is as good as it has ever been. It is simply awesome how they have handled Daisy being away from the team and Ghost Rider being a part of the story.
- Actress Deborah Ann Woll (Karen Paige of Daredevil) will reprise her role in Marvel/Netflix’s The Punisher.
- Actress Sigourney Weaver has been revealed as the main villain of Marvel/Netflix’s “The Defenders”.
- Academy Award winner Forest Whitaker has joined the cast of Marvel’s “Black Panther”. Also confirmed is actress Dani Kaluuya who played T’Challa’s “Dora Millage bodyguard” in Captain America: Civil War. Remember? The one who told Black Widow: “Move. Or you will be moved.”
- YES!!!! Actor Carlos Bernard has signed on to reprise his legendary role of Tony Almeida in the Fox “24:Legacy” reboot of the series.
- I posted the John Wick: Chapter 2 trailer above and it looks awesome. What makes the plot even crazier is that it apparently takes place only ONE week after the original. So a wounded Wick is out and about being hunted by assassins while killing his way out of it. The reason is that he was given a “marker” which was actually explained in the first film. He was tasked to do something “impossible” so he could get out of the life free of charge. He did so and was left alone. But by coming back to get revenge on those from the first film, assassins are now out to collect since he went back on his word.
- I decided to put this LAST so that those of you who haven’t finished watching yet can stop reading. I want to discuss Marvel/Netflix’s Luke Cage. So if you haven’t binge watched yet or are still a few episodes from finishing the show, I bid you adieu and I will see you next week. Stop reading now and move on. Go. I will see you later. If you are finished however, then let’s discuss. Ok. Fair Warning. SPOILER ALERT.......The following sentences will feature major spoilers from Luke Cage. The show itself was good but I will put it lower on the totem pole than its predecessors like Daredevil and Jessica Jones. Why you ask? Simple. Diamondback. This was the definition of clichéd villain. He was over the top campy, he was a religious zealot, he was cartoony and gimmicky. Cottonmouth was 100 times the villain that Diamondback was and I feel like they shoe horned him into this show just for the sake of doing so. He wasn’t necessary to the story. They could have kept him for season 2 if they wanted. Cage himself was awesome and I really hope that the Marvel TV and film divisions can get their act together and make a cross over work because he’d be great in it. The show was good but fell off a cliff in the end and it made me not love it.
Feel free to discuss whatever you'd like on the “Board" where I can do my best to answer anything you’d like. Also drop a comment in the comment box below as I try my best to answer in a timely fashion. You can also tweet me on the tweeter. I reply there as well. Questions, Corrections, Comments, Feedback or Ideas: EMAIL ME .