Good day to you all and welcome to We Want Insanity. I am your host for today, Matt Dawgs and this is my column. Today is the end of the work week and the time to look back at all the goings-on over the past seven days as I wrap it up with a bow and spout it out bit by bit. Buckle up. Enjoy the ride.
MATT NOTE: R.I.P. to former WWE manager and wrestler Frenchy Martin who passed away at age 69 this week following a battle with cancer.
WWE NEWS AND NOTES:
- Goldberg returned to wrestling for the first time in 12 years on RAW on Monday and came out to a MONSTEROUS REACTION from the Denver crowd. He legit looked like he was on the verge of tears from the response he received which wouldn’t have been ideal considering he is supposed to be a tough bad ass. But I digress; Goldberg returned and cut an awesome promo on Brock Lesnar and his reasons for coming back for one more match. He was a legit superhero as all children at ringside hugged him and high-fived him. It was a fantastically done piece of work by WWE.
- His return also accomplished what WWE couldn’t have done without him. The show for the first time in several years had an audience increase each hour until the end of the show and drew their best ratings against NFL football this year.
- Goldberg, along with Lesnar are both booked for the “go-home” show for Survivor Series on November 14th. Lesnar is scheduled to make his return next Monday on RAW and Goldberg is scheduled for Halloween on October 31st. I hope they do not put a wig on him.
- Congrats to both Sasha Banks and Charlotte as it was announced on Tuesday that not only will they be the first ever women to compete inside Hell in a Cell but they will also become the 1st two women in history to main event a PPV as Mick Foley confirmed via his Facebook that the women’s title match will close the show.
- Then, the following day Mick Foley completely backtracked on his statement noting that he had no idea what match was going on last and that any match that the fans deem as the main event is the real main event of the show. He then took it a step further the day after that noting that the card does not get finalized until the day of the show and that he was misunderstood, etc. Boy did someone probably rip Foley a new one for him to backtrack twice in two separate Facebook posts. LOL.
- Speaking of Banks, she has been reportedly putting on more muscle mass in an effort to tone down her injuries. Honestly, it is the best for her as she is way small to be taking the risks she takes. It will help her career to put on some muscle and do less risky stuff in the ring.
- Sparklecrotch? Really?
- New Day 420!!!!
- You all know that they HAVE TO beat Demolition’s record title reign now correct? It has been brought up so much that having them drop the titles before then would be so dumb.
- Poor Neville. I did not see him doing a job to Bo Dallas clean coming. WOW.
- Also poor Bayley. She was supposed to lose to Dana Brooke’s cheating with her feet on the ropes but since Dana is so short, she botched the finish and thus couldn’t get her feet on the ropes for leverage but they went with it anyway so it looked TERRIBLE. Thankfully Bayley is so over because of her charm that she can afford losses here and there so it won’t really affect her but she NEEDS to win the feud.
- Emma returned to WWE Live Events over the weekend and did in fact wrestle. She worked the Smackdown brand shows filling in for the injured Becky Lynch however once she returns to TV, it is expected to be on the Raw brand.
- Last week there were photos circulating of the Undertaker on crutches. It has since be revealed that he recently had hip surgery. This cannot be a good thing considering he has had his hips replaced a few years back. Despite holding out hope that he returns for Mania, WWE is NOT optimistic about it as many believe that his last match was last year and he isn’t expected to return.
- WWE Superstar Paige proposed to her boyfriend, former WWE Superstar Alberto Del Rio at a wrestling event in Puerto Rico over the weekend. She came into the ring following her match and got down on her knee to propose and he said yes so the two are engaged.
- As a sign as to where things are in their business relationship, WWE has removed Paige from their RAW opening.
- Paige did get her neck surgery on Wednesday as she originally has scheduled despite WWE not wanting it done. She had 3 screws placed in her neck and it was performed by the same Florida doctor who operated on Nikki Bella as seen on Total Bellas on E!.
- Despite all that has gone on in recent months with Paige and Del Rio, both are still set to be featured on the upcoming season of E!’s Total Divas set to debut next month.
- Congrats to Smackdown General Manager Daniel Bryan and his wife WWE Superstar Brie Bella as they announced that the baby Brie is expecting is a girl.
- Amazing to see, especially the longevity but Dean Ambrose has wrestled more matches each year than anyone in WWE. He had the most matches in 2014, 2015 and is currently in the lead for 2016.
- WWE Champion A.J. Styles in discussing his appearing in his “1st” video game WWE 2k17: “Actually it isn’t my first. I’ve been a part of a video game before WWE but it’s not worth talking about and quite embarrassing to be honest with you.” OUCH!!!
- In an interview earlier this week, WWE Hall of Famer Jerry “the King” Lawler revealed that he was told that he will NEVER be cleared to wrestle again in a WWE ring. He has a clean bill of health from his doctor and has had over 200 matches since his heart attack on RAW several years back but they still do not want to run the risk.
- Kenny and Mikey of the Spirit Squad are NOT signed to contracts and working on a per appearance basis. There are plans to continue to use them going forward so as long as they don’t rub anyone the wrong way or step on anyone’s toes and continue to perform well they will be continued to be used.
- The same goes for James Ellsworth. They are giving him merchandise money based on the shirt that was on Smackdown (they are selling it on the website) but he is not under a deal. Amazingly enough, as of this writing, Ellsworth’s shirt is the top selling shirt on the WWE shop website.
- WWE was in fact looking to book Trish Stratus vs. Asuka for the NXT Women’s Title at Takeover: Toronto due to it being Stratus’ hometown but she is pregnant with her 2nd child. Mickie James was their 2nd choice. Asuka is slowly turning heel and the idea was to use Stratus to do so. They can likely still successfully pull it off with James but Stratus made more sense since she would have gotten a monster pop in Toronto.
- Austin Aries and Roderick Strong are winning the Dusty Classic right? I cannot see anyone else winning at this point.
- Cody Rhodes said that the door is not closed to an eventual return to WWE but he likely will not be back to present the trophy for the Dusty Classic this year. It will more than likely be Dustin and his daughter Dakota.
- The Hideo Itami injury isn’t as bad as they thought. He is only expected to miss about two months of time and will NOT be needing surgery. WOW. Dodged a major bullet there.
- Tommy End, Big Damo and “Crazy” Mary Dobson all reported to the WWE Performance Center this week. They are a few more names of very good workers joining NXT.
- It doesn’t appear that Cedric Rougeau did well at his recent WWE tryout. He is however being brought back in early 2017 for another tryout. He actually skipped the 2nd day of the tryout which left a bad impression as he physically couldn’t do it.
- Tough Enough Winner Josh has been out of action for several months due to a severe concussion. He is not going to be cleared until he passes his impact testing.
- Terrence Jean-Jacques, a WWE Developmental talent was arrested last weekend in Orlando for assault & battery, kidnapping, witness intimidation and destruction of property for allegedly assaulting his pregnant girlfriend. Suffice to say, WWE is NOT going to be too pleased with this and in all likelihood he is going to be wished well on his future endeavors. He has been suspended indefinitely by the company until a further investigation is completed.
- Former ROH star RD Evans has apparently been working as an agent/producer for WWE for several weeks now. Congrats to him.
- In an incredibly interesting tactic that just may work, WWE legal eagle Jerry McDevitt is claiming that opposing council Konstantine Kryos has legitimately plagiarized the concussion lawsuit filed against the NFL and just substituted WWE’s name in the place of the NFL including NOT removing the name of former NFL star Mike Webster and just changing the fact that he was a football player and claiming he was a wrestler. I cannot believe I just wrote that. WTF is this guy thinking? This cannot be legal can it?
- For those of you in the Orlando or Florida area or those of you who travel, Wrestlemania tickets go officially on sale on November 18th.
- As expected, autopsies on the brains of both Balls Mahoney and Axl Rotten have revealed that both men were suffering from CTE.
WWE RAW HELL IN A CELL PPV is on Sunday, October 30th, 2016 from Boston Massachusetts and the line-up is as follows:HELL IN A CELL MATCH FOR THE WWE UNIVERSAL TITLE: Kevin Owens © vs. Seth RollinsHELL IN A CELL MATCH FOR THE WWE U.S. TITLE: Roman Reigns © vs. Rusev w/Lana HELL IN A CELL MATCH FOR THE WWE WOMEN’S TITLE: Sasha Banks © vs. CharlotteWWE CRUISERWEIGHT TITLE: T.J. Perkins © vs. Brian KendrickWWE TAG TEAM TITLES: The New Day © (Kofi Kingston/Big E/Xavier Woods) vs. Cesaro & Sheamus
TNA IMPACT WRESTLING NEWS and NOTES:
- You ever hear the rumors that roaches were on earth long before humans and will be here long after we are all gone including being able to survive a nuclear explosion? I think that can apply to TNA as well. THEY. WILL. NOT. DIE. EVER.
- The latest happenings here is that The Fight Network has opened negotiations with Billy Corgan in order to pay him the money owed to him for financing several tapings thus “buying him out” of his stake in TNA and effectively becoming the 2nd primary shareholder other than Dixie Carter. In exchange, Corgan will drop his lawsuit and no longer be associated with TNA. The Fight Network will then continue to negotiate with Dixie Carter in an effort to become sole owner of the promotion and purchase the remainder of the tape library. This also isn’t going to be promising for a future sale of the library to Vince McMahon as he likely isn’t going to be too pleased with purchasing an incomplete tape library and it appears that The Fight Network will get all of it. .
- Due to The Fight Networks negotiations, the injunction Corgan has filed against TNA has been pushed to next Wednesday, October 26th rather than yesterday as scheduled.
- Another lawsuit has been filed against TNA in the state of New York as American Express Global Business is claiming that they are owed over $270,000 in travel related expenses.
Ring of Honor / Lucha Underground / Independent / International News and Notes:
- Lucha Underground is testing out live events this weekend as they are running shows tomorrow and Sunday. Hopefully they work out as touring could bring them some more income. The shows are being financed by Cricket Wireless which is a pretty good deal to have. Weird though that they are advertising Prince Puma (Ricochet) for the shows when he is scheduled to be in Japan on those dates.
- Ricochet is having some Visa issues and this will miss the New Japan shows this weekend.
- As I noted a few weeks ago would happen, Jack Evans is in the AAA doghouse due to the comments he made regarding the state of AAA. He has been pulled from their upcoming Japan tour dates as well as all television dates for AAA in the near future.
- Vampiro has been hired as the head of talent relations for AAA.
- Jeff Cobb, best known as Matzana in Lucha Underground will be working for EVOLVE soon.
- Congrats to former ROH manager Truth Martini as he was married last week.
- The son of Mexico Luchador LEGEND Blue Panther will be debuting for Ring of Honor on November 3rd. He is wrestling under the name Panther and will be participating in the Survival of the Fittest tournament.
MMA News and Notes:
- Unexpectedly this week, WME-IMG made significant key layoffs in the UFC offices in Las Vegas. While many believed that there would be eventual turnover of key people in management once the sale was finalized, no one believed it would be this soon. There were about 80 people let go from within UFC Headquarters in Las Vegas and approximately 400 in total around the world. The most significant name let go was Garry Cook, the Chief Global Brand Officer and head of International Business. He was said to be the 3rd guy in charge under the old UFC management being Lorenzo Fertitta, Dana White and then him.
- Another change that is likely to come to fruition is that the new owners are planning on cancelling “The Ultimate Fighter” following the upcoming season. WOW.
- In a complete and unexpected turn out of nowhere, George St. Pierre announced on Monday that he has been officially out from his UFC contract and is free to go to any promotion he wants. WOW. I did not see that coming. Yes UFC would have taken a gamble by signing him since he was asking for $10 million per fight guaranteed but so long as he kept winning; his return would have drawn a ton more than $10 million for UFC. His subsequent fights would have done just as big. UFC however is denying this claim noting that while the wording of his contract may be different, he is still contractually obligated to fulfill the remainder of fights left on his deal and he is not a free agent. So I am assuming we are getting a legal battle coming.
- Regardless of what you think, UFC Featherweight Champion Conor McGregor has significant pull due to his drawing power. The Nevada State Athletic Commission over the weekend noted that they did NOT fine McGregor $150,000 for the bottle throwing incident. They noted that they were misunderstood and actually only fined him $75,000 and the $150,000 number was that they felt that the community service he was being charged with was worth an estimated $75,000. That is the lamest cockamamie excuse I have ever heard in my life. That is the sound of the NSAC tucking their tail between their legs and backtracking.
- Conor McGregor is claiming that UFC 205 will surpass 2,000,000 PPV buys. Being that it is a stacked show and at Madison Square Garden and the first major show in New York, he might be right. That would put him up there with Floyd Mayweather as the only other draw to surpass 2 million.
- The co-main event for UFC 207 a.k.a. Ronda Rousey’s return has been announced as Cain Velasquez will take on Fabricio Werdum.
- Julianna Pena is the latest to threaten to want to leave UFC as she is upset that Ronda Rousey walked back into the promotion and was immediately granted a title shot at Amanda Nunes. Yes, she is pissed that the most recognizable woman in all of MMA who lost her title and was never granted a rematch and is arguably the biggest draw in the company is getting a title shot she deserves over herself. SMH. Some people do not get that UFC is a business and making money trumps all. Ask Jose Aldo.
- Alexis Davis will be making her return to UFC on the December 3rd Ultimate Fighter Finale vs. Sara McMann. This is her first fight in over a year as she was pregnant and gave birth a few months back.
- Bellator MMA has announced that Chael Sonnen will make his Bellator debut at Bellator 170 on January 21st vs. Tito Ortiz. Ortiz has announced that this will be his FINAL MMA fight as he is retiring after, win or lose.
- Former NFL Star Greg Hardy plans on making his MMA debut in 2017. UFC President Dana White noted that he would be interested but he wants him to fight elsewhere first. Bellator will obviously show interest since he has a name from his NFL dals.
- Kevin Ferguson Jr. a.k.a. “Baby Slice” was set to make his Bellator debut tonight in Memphis however that will have to be delayed for a later date as his opponent Rick Bing was 25 LBS overweight. Holy sh*t. That is insane.
UFC 205 is on Saturday, November 12th, 2016 from NEW YORK CITY and the line-up is as follows:UFC LIGHTWEIGHT TITLE: Eddie Alvarez © vs. UFC Featherweight Champion Conor McGregorUFC WELTERWEIGHT TITLE: Tyrone Woodley © vs. Stephen “Wonderboy” ThompsonUFC WOMEN’S STRAWWEIGHT TITLE: Joanna Jedrzejczyk © vs. Karolina KowaliewiczChris Weidman vs. Yoel RomeroDonald Cerrone vs. Kevin GastelumMiesha Tate vs. Raquel Pennington
FOX SPORTS 1:Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Michael JohnsonFrankie Edgar vs. Jeremy StephensRashad Evans vs. Tim KennedyThiago Alves vs. Jim MillerTim Boetsch vs. Rafael Natal
UFC 206 is on Saturday, December 10th, 2016 in Toronto Canada and the line-up is as follows: UFC LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE: Daniel Cormier © vs. Anthony “Rumble” Johnson
UFC ON FOX is on Saturday, December 17th, 2016 from Sacramento California and the line-up is as follows:Paige VanZant vs. Michelle WatersonSage Northcutt vs. Mickey GallUrijah Faber vs. Brad Pickett
UFC 207 is on Friday, December 30th, 2016 from Las Vegas Nevada and the line-up is as follows:UFC WOMEN’S BANTAMWEIGHT TITLE: Amanda Nunes © vs. Ronda RouseyCain Velasquez vs. Fabricio WerdumDoo Ho Choi vs. Cub SwansonJohnny Hendricks vs. Neil MagnyMatt Brown vs. Tarec SaffiedineAlex Oliveira vs. Tim Means
Random Thoughts, Links, Pics, ETC.
- Random VIDEO of the week: Latest Trailer for “Assassin’s Creed”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week: Official Trailer for “Boss Baby”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 2: Honest Trailer for “Ghostbusters (2016)”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 3: First Official Teaser for Marvel’s “Guardians of the Galaxy: Volume 2”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 4: Official Trailer for “Logan”. I don’t know how I feel about it yet.
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 5: Official Video Game Trailer for “Red Dead Redemption 2”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 6: International Trailer for “Resident Evil: The Final Chapter”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 7: Final Trailer for “The Arrival”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 8: Tom Cruise Roll Call.
- THIS LINK is for LIFE. Thank you soldiers. WELCOME HOME BLOG
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week:
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 1: Good riddance!!! Hopefully his death is long and painful.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 2: read this entire article without looking at the photos that accompany it. Took me until the end to realize it wasn’t about Iggy Azalea and was instead about Azealia Banks. Who the f*ck is Azealia Banks?
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 3: Terrible. Violence for the sake of violence. Such a shame as she has such a bright future ahead of her.
- Random ARTICLE of the week PART 4: Don’t test planet Earth. The signs said not to try this and they didn’t listen.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 5: Um.....wow. This law seems kind of counterproductive and probably not the smartest law to have on the books. Maybe they should think about changing it no?
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 6: This f*cking guy. I don’t even know what to say about this. He is blaming the victim for his suicidal thoughts and depression? Really?
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 7: I don’t think I have ever wished death on someone before. Sure I have probably said so in jest or jokingly but in this case, I honestly mean it. I want him dead. Slowly and painfully.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 8: Oh?? Trouble in Kanye-ville?
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 9: Cartels don’t f*ck around. Lucky it was just your hands guys.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 10: Super lenient on this guy. WOW.
- Even though season 7 is set to debut this coming Sunday on AMC, they have renewed “The Walking Dead” for season 8 next year. Last weekend AMC aired a retrospective on all past seasons and storylines from season 1 to now. It was FANTASTIC for those of you who want/need a refresher or those considering jumping right in without knowing the backstory.
- FX’s “American Crime Story” which had season 1 win several Emmy Awards for “The People vs. O.J. Simpson” revealed that season 3 of the show will focus on the murder of designer Gianni Versace on the steps of his Miami mansion and the search for Andrew Cunanan who killed him and then committed suicide after a week-long manhunt. Season 2 of the show debuts in early 2017 and will focus on “Hurricane Katrina”.
- CW’s Supergirl continues to fire on all cylinders. I hope they can keep up with Superman on his way back to Metropolis. Cat Grant’s departure is also a bit sad since she had great chemistry with Kara/Supergirl. I wish they would have dropped a hint that she knew Kara/Supergirl were one and the same.
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. continues to be awesome. I can’t think of many shows that have improved from one season to the next as much as this one has. I hope they can keep a solid rating enough to continue on. I also hope that they do eventually integrate them into the MCU especially since S.H.I.E.L.D. is back officially.
- Finished Season 1 of Narcos finally. I started when the show debuted, only watched the first 2 episodes then forgot to go back to it. Starting season 2 next week but DAMN, Pablo Escobar was a beast. WOW.
Feel free to discuss whatever you'd like on the “Board" where I can do my best to answer anything you’d like. Also drop a comment in the comment box below as I try my best to answer in a timely fashion. You can also tweet me on the tweeter. I reply there as well. Questions, Corrections, Comments, Feedback or Ideas: EMAIL ME .