Good day to you all and welcome to We Want Insanity. I am your host for today, Matt Dawgs and this is my column. Today is the end of the work week and the time to look back at all the goings-on over the past seven days as I wrap it up with a bow and spout it out bit by bit. Buckle up. Enjoy the ride.
MATT NOTE: Normally I reserve this space for announcements or in memoriam for a celebrity or significant figure in real world but today I am using it to discuss AMC’s The Walking Dead. Jesus H. Christ I don’t think I have ever witness a more suspenseful and terrifying hour of television in my entire life. Good god was that insanity. I was legit at the edge of my seat for the entire show. Negan “broke” Rick. I didn’t think it was going to happen but that ending with Carl and the ax and Rick needs to get Andrew Lincoln an Emmy award. That entire episode was just brutal to sit through. Bravo to the cast and crew for having to sit through acting that episode. WOW. On a side note, to the people who go online immediately following the show’s ending WITHOUT having seen the show yet then have the audacity to complain about spoilers, shame on you. It is common sense in this day and age of social media that stuff is going to leak almost immediately, especially for a television show. Movies, ok, I get that. Not everyone can see the first showing of a film the day it was released or could even make it out that opening weekend. But a TV show, you have to know that people are going to talk about it. And finally, to those of you who are “done watching the show”, we will see you next week. You know damn well you are going to keep watching and if you are going to quit because of the characters who were killed then good riddance because I want you to know right now, there is NO HAPPY ENDING. This isn’t “LOST” where everyone goes home to their families and gets off the island. There is NOT going to be an episode with a cure. There is NOT going to be some isolated government stronghold where society will be rebuilt. There is NOT going to be some plague where the zombies all drop dead. None of that is happening. It is a show based on those NOT infected trying to live and cope with a new society that they are eventually going to die in. More people that you have watched and grown with and loved are going to end up dead before the series concludes. And please cut the crap that it was “too violent” for them to go. A) Such is life for them now. B) Terminus wasn’t too over the top for you? For f*cks sake, they were cannibals eating people. Get your head out of your ass.
WWE NEWS AND NOTES:
- Jerri-KO is the best thing on WWE television today.
- I hate that I am admitting this publicly but Braun Strowman is growing on me.
- It is interesting that WWE is purposely billing Charlotte as Charlotte Flair now.
- I get Foley trying to cement the fact that the Hell in a Cell is dangerous, especially to the women but honestly, his experience inside the cell is going to be much different than theirs and secondly, isn’t he the son of a b*tch who booked them in the match? Now he is trying to talk them out of it? I don’t get the logic. Why book them in the cell if you are going to complain about how dangerous it is?
- With that being said, Foley’s promo was a glowing example of why I was happy he was selected as GM for Raw. He is amazing on the mic and despite his silliness at times, when he is serious can legit get anything over.
- Why did Brian Kendrick lose cleanly when he is fighting for a title in a few days?
- Where the hell has Nia Jax been?
- Why in the world would WWE think that Brock Lesnar was going to be booed by WWE in his home state of Minnesota? Not even Heyman could turn them on him. They wanted to boo Goldberg which was not ideal the week after his return and cheer Brock which isn’t what they want. Apparently Vince McMahon blew a gasket backstage and had Heyman end the segment early since hearing “Goldberg Sucks” chants wasn’t the intended response he wanted.
- Why are they having a match with the cruiserweights at Hell in a Cell yet Rich Swann isn’t involved despite the fact that he beat Brian Kendrick?
- EMMALINA IS SO HOT!!! Woo Woo Woo Zack Ryder!!!!
- WWE did confirm Brock Lesnar vs. Bill Goldberg for Survivor Series.
- Smackdown this week held qualifiers for their Survivor Series matches. The Hype Bros will be one of the teams representing Smackdown in the Raw vs. Smackdown tag team elimination match as they defeated the Ascension. Nikki Bella defeated Natalya so she will now be the captain of the Women’s team on Smackdown and Heath Slater and Rhyno, by virtue of retaining their tag team titles will also be on Team Smackdown.
- The Headbangers return to Smackdown next week to try and qualify for the tag team match at Survivor Series. Remember when there was all this talk of past stars coming back for the brand split? I would be all for old veterans returning on week to week basis and doing jobs for today’s stars. Curtis Axel wouldn’t have had to do a quick, clean job on Monday to Bo Dallas in his hometown if D-Lo Brown was available correct?
- Randy Orton may not be a part of team Smackdown at Survivor Series as his wife is expecting a baby that week and he was given the week off.
- Nikki Bella revealed this week that she has been working on submission skills with Shayna Baszler.
- WWE Smackdown Women’s Champion Becky Lynch returned to action over the weekend at WWE Live Events. She missed the last Smackdown PPV due to an undisclosed medical condition.
- Kalisto also returned to action after being out several months with an injury.
- WWE may be offering James Ellsworth a full time contract. That would be fantastic for him if it happens. Pay your dues kids and never give up.
- Shinsuke Nakamura....is being set up to be the face of NXT. Yes, you read that correctly. The guy on the ENTIRE ROSTER with the most charisma and is probably one of the top 5 workers in the entire WORLD and #2 behind A.J. Styles who is currently 36 years old with a ton of mileage on his body from his work in Japan is being slated to be the “face” of the developmental division rather than being called up to the main roster. So in essence he is not being called up anytime soon.
- Best of luck to Austin Aries as he may have had his orbital bone broken on Wednesday by Shinsuke Nakamura and a kick to the face. The match had to be stopped and while Aries walked to the back under his own power, he may miss some time and the swelling is said to be significant.
- The latest class of NXT recruits all reported this week including Roderick Strong, Tommy End, Big Damo, Crazy Mary Dobson, Alvin Abitz, Theophilus Agbi, former NFL star Demitruis Bronson (Running back for the Seattle Seahawks and Miami Dolphins), Taynara Melo de Carvalho (a female Brazilian Olympian in Judo) and Victoria Gonzalez who is the daughter of Rudy Boy Gonzalez (the former trainer for Shawn Michaels Texas Wrestling Academy).
- WWE is apparently stocking up on female Japanese talent following the success of Asuka. They have reached out to the #1 and #2 females in apan in Io Shirai and Kairi Hojo of Stardom. Shirai has accepted the offer and will start in early 2017. Hojo has not 100% agreed but is likely leaning towards coming in.
- When will they learn? Apparently NXT female Mandy Rose made a comment via her official snapchat insulting black women’s hair. SMH.
- Congrats to Triple H and Stephanie McMahon as they celebrated 13 years of marriage earlier this week.
- Mick Foley was pulled from an independent booking for ICW in Europe. Foley was booked on what is ICW’s annual biggest show of the year due to WWE commitments with Survivor Series being on the same day however WWE decided to make good on the promotion so they are sending a former ICW roster member....FINN BALOR in his place.
- In an interesting story that could be HUGE for wrestling overall, FloSports, a website that streams sporting events of all kinds across the U.S. which WWE happens to be an investor of, will now regularly stream independent wrestling events from across the U.S. The cost of the service is $20 per month however if you sign up for a year commitment, you receive a $12.50 monthly discount meaning you will only be paying $96 for the year.
- Amazing that the Undertaker appeared at the Cleveland Cavs home opener this week in full Undertaker regalia for their championship ring ceremony. He was without crutches.
- The former Alex Riley is now living in Los Angeles and trying to get into acting full time. He will not be wrestling independently and is likely done with wrestling.
- In an interesting note, a new ALL WOMEN wrestling promotion is being started by the daughters of Diamond Dallas Page, Hulk Hogan, Rowdy Roddy Piper and Kerry Von Erich. Brittany Page revealed that she is starting the league alongside Brooke Hogan, Ariel Toombs and Lacey Von Erich as well as the daughter of acting star Jean-Claude VanDamme, Bianca Brigitte VanDamme. No timetable on the promotion and the only other detail is that former WWE/TNA female Christy Hemme is signed to play the authority figure of the promotion.
- Something that we are going to have to keep a close eye on in the upcoming months is the fact that in one of his last acts in office, President Barack Obama is looking to have all states BAN “no compete” agreements in contracts. Each state in the union would have to individually adhere to it of course but if it does happen, WWE contracts would be interesting in the event that Connecticut for example accepts this rule. If that happens, WWE contracts wouldn’t be able to enforce no-competes.
WWE RAW HELL IN A CELL PPV is THIS SUNDAY from Boston Massachusetts and the line-up is as follows:HELL IN A CELL MATCH FOR THE WWE UNIVERSAL TITLE: Kevin Owens © vs. Seth RollinsHELL IN A CELL MATCH FOR THE WWE U.S. TITLE: Roman Reigns © vs. Rusev w/Lana HELL IN A CELL MATCH FOR THE WWE WOMEN’S TITLE: Sasha Banks © vs. CharlotteWWE CRUISERWEIGHT TITLE: T.J. Perkins © vs. Brian KendrickWWE TAG TEAM TITLES: The New Day © (Kofi Kingston/Big E/Xavier Woods) vs. Cesaro & SheamusBayley vs. Dana BrookeCedric Alexander/Lince Dorado/Sin Cara vs. Drew Gulak/Tony Nese/Ariya Davari
TNA IMPACT WRESTLING NEWS and NOTES:
- The details of Billy Corgan’s lawsuit vs. TNA was unsealed on Wednesday and by this coming Monday, either Corgan will be full owner of TNA or The Fight Network will or the company will be dead. Those are the three options and none of them include Dixie Carter continuing to run the promotion. I am going to write a lot of stuff below involving the case, some of which you may not understand and a lot of it which sounds incredibly ridiculous and doesn’t make any sense. Bear with me because this is TNA and you know that anything involving this company is complete insanity.
- It was revealed that Billy’s investment in TNA saved the company from being foreclosed on by Aroluxe. Aroluxe was about to claim that TNA defaulted on their loan and would take over the promotion. Billy stopped this by paying the past due production costs in exchange for points in the promotion. Over time, Billy provided two more cash influxes into the company. One that ended up granting him the title of President of TNA and the final one that stated should TNA become insolvent (unable to pay the debts owed i.e. bankrupt), Corgan would take over Dixie’s ownership stake and voting rights in the company thus becoming majority owner and being able to replace all of the management staff within TNA.
- Despite the fact that TNA is indeed insolvent and according to court records owe approximately 10 times as much money as they are worth, Dixie Carter continued to try and sell the company without Corgan’s knowledge or input. She negotiated with WWE and Anthem Sports and Entertainment (The parent company of The Fight Network) to try and sell. Anthem offered to pay off all of Corgan’s loans to TNA with interest in order to buy him out. They would then take over the promotion as owners. Corgan has turned down this offer claiming that he was in fact defrauded and should be sole owner of TNA. This is when he filed an injunction as Anthem was about to give TNA another influx which would make them majority owners. Instead this is why the press release from Anthem said it was a “loan” and not an investment. Regarding the WWE negotiations, Corgan claims that Carter informed him that they in fact were NOT talking to WWE and informed the roster the same, they were in fact in the middle of negotiations with WWE about the company and the tape library. Corgan received proof of negotiations when he found out that CFO Dean Broadhead sent WWE financial due diligence information. In said information, WWE had inquired about Corgan’s loan to the company and his ownership stake and WWE was informed that the loan would be paid back prior to the sale.
- Carter also informed Anthem that Corgan had “no power” and his President title was only that, a title.
- WWE’s offer to purchase TNA in full (not just the tape library) was for what Corgan claimed TNA’s value was worth which would put the offer around $6,000,000 which is 3 times more than what WWE paid for WCW back in 2000 and WCW was financially worth a lot more than TNA is today. After some more negotiations, WWE then made another offer for LESS than their original offer which is what made Carter end negotiations for the company. Documents also reveal that WWE began preliminary discussions with TNA back in JUNE.
- Currently TNA, while not officially bankrupt, has not paid anyone and is claiming it is due to Corgan’s injunction. That is not true. They have not paid anyone due to not having the ability to pay anyone since they have no income. The CEO of Aroluxe is currently running the day-to-day operations of TNA as Dixie has not been involved.
- TNA is also claiming that the tax lien against them is an accounting mistake and isn’t valid. This however coming on the heels of former VP of talent Bruce Prichard revealing that he had tax withholdings taken from his check when he worked there from 2010 – 2013 only for the government to come after him for $10,000 in unpaid taxes. He revealed proof that withholdings were taken out and the IRS was satisfied but this is what likely prompted the tax lien against TNA.
- Carter is claiming that Corgan’s terms of his final loan is unfair and that she shouldn’t have to forfeit her rights to Corgan as the terms of the agreement. You know, because apparently she had NO CHOICE but to accept these terms and take the loan. SMH. In essence she is claiming that a deal she agreed to and accepted is now unfair and she wants a judge to let her go back on it.
- The TNA tapings that were scheduled for this coming week at the Hardy Compound to air in December have been postponed due to the legal issues.
- Another week gone by, another TNA lawsuit. BankDirect Capital Finance has filed suit against TNA for $207,612.29 plus late charges and interest and attorney fees as TNA took out a loan back in November 2015 so they could pay insurance premiums. TNA promised to make ten monthly payments of $41,032.45 but TNA stopped making payments.
Ring of Honor / Lucha Underground / Independent / International News and Notes:
- WWNLive is the first company to sign an agreement to stream wrestling on FloSlam which is interesting because they are the parent company of Evolve. Evolve has a working relationship with WWE and WWE is an investor in FloSports, the parent company of FloSlam. You would think that WWE would want Evolve to be one of the first non-WWE entities to stream on the WWE Network but apparently they are ok with this.
- Turner Broadcasting is back in the “rasslin” business!!! That is right; TNT is set to start airing Lucha Underground.......in Germany. But maybe it is a foot in the door. Maybe they will get great numbers in Germany and possibly open up the door to air in the United States. In Primetime!!!!
- And...He’s done. Jack Evans has been officially fired by AAA for his comments in an interview where he noted that AAA was better off when Konnan was in charge of creative.
- Jim Ross has signed a one-year extension with AXS to call New Japan shows for the station.
- Kyle O’Reilly winning the ROH title at “Final Battle” vs. Adam Cole may not be a foregone conclusion after all. O’Reilly’s ROH contract expires on December 31st. He has not signed nor agreed to a new deal as of yet so they may either remove him from the match completely or add Jay Lethal and make it a 3-way. Of course, he could come to a new deal before then and all will be well.
- The Midnight Rider debuted for ROH. Yes, it is the same Midnight Rider costume used in the NWA back in the 80’s. It is actually Steve Corino under the gimmick.
MMA News and Notes:
- It appears that Jon Jones 2-year suspension for failing a doping test is NOT going to happen. Jones had successfully found the tainted supplement that contained both the drugs he tested positive for in clomiphene and letrozole in it. He sent these supplements to the USADA lab who independently tested them and it revealed the same. The supplement contained the banned substances and it was NOT labeled as such therefore Jones did not willingly take them. Ignorance however does not mean he is Scott free. He will NOT be banned for 2 years but will likely be shown leniency and get a 6 month ban instead meaning he could fight as soon as January or February for UFC vs. the winner of Daniel Cormier vs. Anthony “Rumble” Johnson.
- Speaking of Cormier vs. Johnson, it was revealed in a radio interview with both men that Cormier is walking around with a knee injury. Cormier has been trying to hide that fact and therefore was blindsided when the interviewer brought it up to the surprise of Johnson who was not aware of the injury. If Cormier’s knee is not 100% by the December 10th fight date, he is going to have an early night as Rumble is going to KO him rather quickly.
- Brock Lesnar is not as lucky as Jon Jones. Both share the same attorney in Howard Jacobs but Jacobs informed the Nevada State Athletic Commission that none of Lesnar’s supplements tested positive for clomiphene. He noted they are still testing a few items but anything that they are now testing is NOT anything that Lesnar listed on his pre-fight questionnaire. He cannot claim to be using the same supplement that Jones used because he didn’t list it as something he took.
- Conor McGregor made the news this week as it was revealed that he is NOT licensed yet to fight in the state of New York by the NYSAC and the commission noted that they do NOT plan on licensing him until all disciplinary actions regarding him are complied with meaning that he has to pay his Las Vegas fine for the bottle throwing incident that he has publicly said he wasn’t going to pay.
- All talk of George St. Pierre returning for the Toronto show in December is now off. GSP is on vacation and it is too short notice for him to open camp for it. UFC Middleweight Champion Michael Bisping has been lobbying GSP for the fight noting that he was in negotiations for it and just needs GSP to sign. But that likely isn’t the case.
- GSP did note that he and Dana White squashed their beef and it is water under the bridge and noted that he also met with UFC owner Ari Emmanuel last week.
- UFC 207 on December 30th just got its co-main event. In addition to Ronda Rousey trying to reclaim her title, UFC Bantamweight Champion Dominick Cruz will defend his title against Cody Garbrandt.
- Urijah Faber announced that following his UFC on Fox fight on December 17th, he is retiring from MMA. He is fighting Brad Pickett and Pickett noted earlier this week that it is an honor to be fighting Faber in his final fight. The show is in Sacramento which is Faber’s hometown.
- An exciting fight has been added to UFC 206 in Toronto as Anthony Pettis will take on Max Holloway. Holloway is on a 9 fight winning streak and with the win will almost certainly be next in line for the featherweight title following the Conor McGregor vs. Jose Aldo unification fight if Aldo doesn’t retire and McGregor doesn’t vacate the title.
- UFC has released 13 fighters including Antonio “Bigfoot” Silva. This is part of their continued cost-cutting measures under the new ownership.
- Bobby Lashley returned to Bellator last week and defeated Josh Appelt in dominating fashion. He destroyed him in round 1 winning 10 - 8 before choking him out in the 2nd round. He has won 5 straight fights in Bellator and should be in line for the heavyweight title which is currently vacant.
- Pat Lundvall will no longer be the chairperson of the Nevada State Athletic Commission as her appointment ends on October 31st and she is not going to be reappointed per the Governor of Nevada.
- UFC Star C.M. Punk celebrated his 38th birthday this week.
- Former UFC Heavyweight Shane Carwin at age 41 has signed to fight with Rizin in Japan for their heavyweight tournament.
UFC 205 is on Saturday, November 12th, 2016 from NEW YORK CITY and the line-up is as follows:UFC LIGHTWEIGHT TITLE: Eddie Alvarez © vs. UFC Featherweight Champion Conor McGregorUFC WELTERWEIGHT TITLE: Tyrone Woodley © vs. Stephen “Wonderboy” ThompsonUFC WOMEN’S STRAWWEIGHT TITLE: Joanna Jedrzejczyk © vs. Karolina KowaliewiczChris Weidman vs. Yoel RomeroDonald Cerrone vs. Kevin GastelumMiesha Tate vs. Raquel Pennington
FOX SPORTS 1:Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Michael JohnsonFrankie Edgar vs. Jeremy StephensRashad Evans vs. Tim KennedyThiago Alves vs. Jim MillerTim Boetsch vs. Rafael Natal
UFC 206 is on Saturday, December 10th, 2016 in Toronto Canada and the line-up is as follows: UFC LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE: Daniel Cormier © vs. Anthony “Rumble” JohnsonAnthony Pettis vs. Max Holloway
UFC ON FOX is on Saturday, December 17th, 2016 from Sacramento California and the line-up is as follows:Paige VanZant vs. Michelle WatersonSage Northcutt vs. Mickey GallUrijah Faber vs. Brad Pickett
UFC 207 is on Friday, December 30th, 2016 from Las Vegas Nevada and the line-up is as follows:UFC WOMEN’S BANTAMWEIGHT TITLE: Amanda Nunes © vs. Ronda RouseyUFC BANTAMWEIGHT TITLE: Dominick Cruz © vs. Cody GarbrandtCain Velasquez vs. Fabricio WerdumDoo Ho Choi vs. Cub SwansonJohnny Hendricks vs. Neil MagnyMatt Brown vs. Tarec SaffiedineAlex Oliveira vs. Tim Means
Random Thoughts, Links, Pics, ETC.
- Random VIDEO of the week: To throw people off the set, The Walking Dead filmed an alternate death to a prominent cast member just in case. Here it is.
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week: Latest Trailer for FX’s “Legion”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 2: Fan Made Trailer for “Logan” using X-Men Films.
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 3: Fan Made Trailer for “Logan” using X-Men cartoons.
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 4: Honest Trailer for “A Nightmare Before Christmas”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 5: Kevin Hart's "Hot Ones" interview. Thank you soldiers. WELCOME HOME BLOG
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week: If I wasn’t fearful of drowning, I’d love to explore the ocean. So much undiscovered that we don’t know about.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 1: Everyone jumping the gun saying this is a done deal. A deal isn’t finalized until it is approved by the SEC and all the T’s are crossed and I’s dotted.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 2: One of the most underrated and under-told stories in boxing.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 3: Absolutely nothing wrong with this tactic especially now that I am almost caught up on Narcos. You have to do what you have to do to protect your country. Kudos to this couple too for stepping up.
- Random ARTICLE of the week PART 4: if true, this is HUGE and not a good thing for Subway.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 5: This is absolutely NOT GOOD for the United States or the World. Uh oh.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 6: F*ck these clowns. I am fine with this. Yes it is assault but you get what you deserve when you do sh*t like this.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 7: Country is going to hell in a handbasket. This is becoming commonplace and it is sickening.
- R.I.P. to the social media application “VINE” as Twitter is shutting it down for good.
- I just wrapped up season 2 of Narcos. Hija de puta. El Patron esta muerte. Fantastico.
- Actor Donald Glover has been cast as Lando Calrissian for the upcoming Han Solo standalone film. The movie will reveal how Calrissian lost the Millennium Falcon to Solo.
- Netflix revealed that each episode of season 2 of Jessica Jones will be directed by a woman.
- In not so good news for Fox, director Tim Miller has departed from Deadpool 2 due to creative difference with star Ryan Reynolds.
- Props to Supergirl this week with their “Wonder Woman” Easter eggs since Lynda Carter was a guest star as well as their slow tease of Supergirl’s sister Alex being gay. Also, MISS MARTIAN!!! Awesome.
- Flash continues to be solid but not great. I hope the show doesn’t fall off a cliff this season into Arrow territory which also fell in season 3.
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. continues to be the best comic book show NOT on Netflix as the Ghost Rider addition to the show has made it so much better and I am looking forward to the Director to go into action as “The Patriot”. Or just go into action in general.
- Thor: Ragnarok has officially wrapped production yesterday. The film is done and now has to have post production (CGI) and other stuff added.
- Dr. Strange is currently sitting on the Rotten Tomatoes website with a 96% favorable approval rating.
Feel free to discuss whatever you'd like on the “Board" where I can do my best to answer anything you’d like. Also drop a comment in the comment box below as I try my best to answer in a timely fashion. You can also tweet me on the tweeter. I reply there as well. Questions, Corrections, Comments, Feedback or Ideas: EMAIL ME .