Good day to you all and welcome to We Want Insanity. I am your host for today, Matt Dawgs and this is my column. Today is the end of the work week and the time to look back at all the goings-on over the past seven days as I wrap it up with a bow and spout it out bit by bit. Buckle up. Enjoy the ride.
MATT NOTE: #MayansMC
WWE NEWS AND NOTES:
- History was made on Sunday at the Hell in a Cell PPV as Sasha Banks defended her WWE Raw Women’s title vs. Charlotte Flair in the MAIN EVENT of the show. The match went on last and was inside Hell in a Cell. The decision was made on Saturday evening for them to go on last and due to putting the match, for some reason Vince McMahon decided on the title switch giving the title back to Charlotte. While the match was good, it was not the BLOW AWAY match that people expected from them being put on last. It also fell flat since Sasha was the hometown hero and the crowd died a death when Charlotte won. Not the ideal way to go off the air on PPV.
- Leading into the PPV, Kevin Owens defending the title vs. Seth Rollins was scheduled to go on last and Owens made it a point on RAW to subtly single that out when he was cutting his promo and he made mention that he was in the MAIN EVENT of Hell in the Cell.
- BTW...Poor Dana Brooke. I mean I wasn’t a big fan but know she can contribute. She was given too much too soon and wasn’t able to hold up her end of the deal. It is sad but not unexpected. She was called up to the main roster way too early and now she did a job to Alicia Fox for WWE Superstars this week. She is also no longer aligned with Charlotte which says all that is needed to be said about her push. She will now be jobbed out and buried which is a shame because she has potential; she just was nowhere near ready for prime time.
- Why in the world did WWE have Goldberg open the show at the 8:00 pm ET hour? No one was tuned in and he would have been better served opening the 9 pm hour or closing the show.
- Enzo + in ring work = Terrible.
- Emmalina is SOOOO HOT. God damn I just want to shake Zack Ryder’s hand. Regardless of how he has been booked over the years even though the crowd likes him, he wins in the end.
- The New Day dressed as the “3 Faces of Charles Wright” was awesome. LOL.
- So Natalya was EXCLUDED from the Women’s Team on Smackdown at Survivor Series. She will instead be their “coach”. Alexa Bliss is on the team. Carmella is on the team. Hell, Naomi is on the team over her. Survivor Series is being held in CANADA. SMH.
- Um...apparently Randy Orton’s heel turn to join the Wyatt Family is a real thing. He isn’t just pretending to be a heel and align with them, he is a heel. WTF?
- According to the website for the Mohegan Sun Arena in Wilkes-Barre Pennsylvania, the Undertaker is set to appear on the November 15th episode of Smackdown Live which will be the show’s 900th episode. It will be Taker’s first appearance with WWE since Wrestlemania last April. This is likely being done to set up Taker’s angle for Mania which was unexpected since he told everyone that last Mania was his final match. WWE has since confirmed Taker’s appearance on the show via press release.
- Brock Lesnar is returning to the WWE Live Event scene as he is scheduled for the December 3rd live event houseshow in Mexico City and is booked to wrestle against Rusev.
- All Red Everything Eva Marie is expected back on Smackdown soon. Possibly as soon as this coming week.
- And just like that, the original plan for the Dusty Classic has changed. Austin Aries does in fact have a broken orbital bone and needs surgery thus the finals of the Dusty Classic have changed. I am not going to reveal the spoiler here however the finals are sent and Aries/Strong are not in it. Aries, following his surgery, will likely be out of action several months.
- Kota Ibushi worked the NXT live event in San Jose California over the weekend. He is still NOT under a WWE deal but has noted to the company that he is willing to work whatever dates are asked of him so long as it does not conflict with Japan bookings.
- Despite being allowed by WWE to fulfill he remaining Mexico commitments, Gran Metalik a.k.a. Mascara Dorada has been given the order by WWE to NOT do any jobs on the way out of the territory.
- WWE announced this week that “205 Live” will debut on Wednesday, November 29th at 10:00 pm ET exclusively on the WWE Network. It will be a weekly 1-hour show featuring strictly the cruiserweights and will be commentated by Mauro Ranallo and Corey Graves. I am not sure what this means for the RAW Cruiserweight division since all of those participants are announced as being on this new show. The show will air LIVE immediately after Smackdown Live and thus “Talking Smack” will now air at 11:00 pm ET on the Network.
- The Cruiserweight Division will be working on NXT Live Events going forward rather than touring with either Raw or Smackdown.
- Does anyone know why Kalisto hasn’t been moved to the Cruiserweight division at all? Or Neville for that matter?
- In an effort to replenish the WWE Women’s Division, NXT will be holding a women’s tournament in either January or March 2017 featuring both signed and unsigned international talents. It will be similar to the Cruiserweight Classic. It will also likely be the debuts of Japanese stars Kairi Hojo and Io Shirai.
- Akira Tozawa’s final Dragon Gate show was last night and he is expected to move to the United States next week. He will be moving in with Ricochet and Tessa Blanchard as they have known each other for years. He will then start at the Performance Center in a few weeks. He will now be wrestling as Tozawa. No first name.
- Shawn Michael is still filling in and training people at the WWE Performance Center and he apparently rented out a local movie theater in Orlando so that he could take the staff and wrestlers at the Performance Center to a special screening of Mel Gibson’s new film “Hacksaw Ridge”.
- WWE has flip-flopped this year regarding Wrestlemania. This coming Mania, the Hall of Fame will take place on Friday night with the NXT show taking place on Saturday which is a break from the past few years as the Hall of Fame always took place the night before Mania.
- WWE is looking for Ronda Rousey, Conor McGregor or Paige VanZant to do something at Mania this year. Rousey makes the most sense if they can work it out.
- Congrats to Stephanie McMahon as she signed a new talent contract with the company for 3 years at $500,000 per year. Yes, she as a talent gets paid more than the MAJORITY of the roster. This is in addition to her contract as an executive of the company which is separate.
- I have no idea how this works but apparently WWE Hall of Famer Jake “The Snake” Roberts is now living in Las Vegas. Yes, the city of sin. I hope all goes well for him out there but this cannot be the ideal location for a man in recovery.
- WWE Hall of Famer Hulk Hogan is rich again as Gawker has settled their lawsuit with him after being found liable for $140 million which forced them into bankruptcy. Gawker will pay Hogan a lump sum of $31 million as well 46% of the Gawker site being sold. When Gawker’s assets were sold to Univision a few months back, Univision did NOT purchase the assets to the Gawker site itself; only the plethora of sites owned by Gawker Media. Should Nick Denton find a buyer for Gawker.com, Hogan would get 46% of that however I do not think Denton will be selling. With the settlement, Hogan is back to where he was after a long rough patch which saw him lose almost that much from his divorce to ex-wife Linda as well as his son Nick’s lawsuit for critically injuring John Graziano. Due to the settlement, Denton will not have to pay any of his personal money to Hogan.
WWE SURVIVOR SERIES PPV is on Sunday, November 20th, 2016 from Toronto Canada and the line-up is as follows:Goldberg vs. Brock Lesnar w/Paul HeymanTraditional Survivor Series Elimination Match: TEAM RAW of WWE UNIVERSAL CHAMPION Kevin Owens ©/Chris Jericho/Roman Reigns/Seth Rollins/Braun Strowman vs. TEAM SMACKDOWN of WWE CHAMPION: A.J. Styles ©/Dean Ambrose/Randy Orton/Bray Wyatt/Baron Corbin Traditional Women’s Survivor Series Elimination Match: TEAM RAW of WWE RAW WOMEN’S CHAMPION: Charlotte Flair ©/Bayley/Nia Jax/TBD/TBD vs. Nikki Bella/WWE SMACKDOWN LIVE WOMEN’S CHAMPION: Becky Lynch ©/Alexa Bliss/Carmella/Naomi with Natalya as Coach Traditional Tag Teams Survivor Series Elimination Match: TEAM RAW of WWE RAW TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: The New Day © (Big E/Kofi Kingston/Xavier Woods)/TBD/TBD/TBD/TBD vs. TEAM SMACKDOWN of WWE SMACKDOWN TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: Heath Slater & Rhyno ©/American Alpha (Jason Jordan & Chad Gable)/The Hype Bros (Zack Ryder & Mojo Rawley)/The Usos (Jimmy & Jey Uso)/TBDWWE INTERCONTINENTAL TITLE: Dolph Ziggler © vs. Anyone From The Raw Roster
TNA IMPACT WRESTLING NEWS and NOTES:
- A Tennessee judge ruled AGAINST Billy Corgan in his lawsuit to take over TNA. Per her decision, Dixie Carter (by way of Anthem Sports and the Fight Network) had to pay Corgan back all of the money he loaned them on Tuesday November 1st and he would essentially be “OUT” of TNA. Aroluxe would then appoint Jason brown as new CEO of the company and maintain their 10% ownership stake and The Fight Network would purchase 85% of TNA from Dixie leaving her with only 5% thus effectively taking control of the promotion. So the company that has been on their deathbed for several years survives yet another day/week/month/year. They keep on trucking.
- PS – As of yesterday, they have yet to pay back Billy any money owed to him and Corgan noted on Twitter than he continues plans to pursue legal options and despite not being able to take over the company as he had hoped, he still plans to execute the 36% equity in the company that was originally promised should TNA not pay him back by November 1st. So the fight keeps going on. The Chancery Court in Nashville has in fact confirmed that Billy Corgan’s case vs. TNA remains open and has not been officially dismissed.
- While Anthem Sports as an entity is not a super wealthy conglomerate, their owner Leonard Asper is a BILLIONAIRE himself and should he be interested in keeping TNA alive on his own, he can should they continue to lose money. So once again, TNA on their deathbed is once again alive and well.
- Anthem is also now liable to pay back the remaining creditors seeking retribution from TNA for monies owed. They are expected to pay them all back shortly thus taking TNA out of debt. Another lawsuit however was discovered against TNA coming in June 2016 from Fraley International which made TNA merchandise. TNA apparently did not pay for 23 orders to the tune of $43,348.70.
- Despite the sale and Anthem taking over, Dixie Carter, her husband Serg Salinas and COO Dean Broadhead are likely to be kept on in corporate roles as part of the sale.
- Due to the sale to Anthem, WWE will NOT be acquiring the TNA tape library, likely ever. Even if TNA eventually shuts down, Anthem Sports will keep the footage for the Fight Network as time filler for programming.
- Not everyone is obviously pleased with Corgan being forced out as Mike Bennett sent out a tweet that he could deflect as meaning something else unrelated to TNA however the tweet said “Welp. Back to bad business as usual.” with a rolling eyes emoji. He isn’t too pleased with the developments nor is his wife Maria Kanellis as she noted that she is leaving the wrestling business soon.
- The fallout from all of this drama is certainly not helping matters regarding the future of TNA despite the Fight Network bailout. Challenge TV in the UK announced on Tuesday that effective at the start of the New Year, they will be no longer carrying Impact. That is HUGE for TNA as the UK and India are two of their major television contracts and will cost TNA some of the little income they already collect.
- Davey Richards has been medically cleared to return to action following MAJOR reconstructive knee surgery in February 2016. He has begun accepting independent bookings and will likely be at the next set of TNA tapings in January.
- TNA will tape two episodes of Impact at the Hardy Compound shortly which will round out the shows for 2016 as they will air in December.
TREAT OR DELETE!!!!
Ring of Honor / Lucha Underground / Independent / International News and Notes:
- ACH and Ring of Honor have come to terms on an agreement for his release from the promotion. He is likely going to be working full time in New Japan going forward.
- ROH’s “Final Battle” PPV in New York on December 2nd has SOLD OUT. 1,800 tickets are sold and they plan on releasing Standing Room Only tickets soon.
- Colt Cabana is now a heel in ROH as he turned on Dalton Castle. I am curious to see how this plays out since it is refreshing as he hasn’t been a permanent heel in a LONG time. He will face Castle at Final Battle.
- Michael Elgin is looking at returning in December from his broken orbital bone due to an errant kick by Shibata in Japan. If December does not work for him, he will try to return to action for the New Japan Tokyo Dome show on January 4th.
- Best of luck to UK sensation Mark Haskins as he will be out of action for several months due to a neck injury that has been keeping him from having feelings in his finders. He is hoping that rest and rehabilitation are the key rather than having surgery.
- Sabu underwent hip surgery this week following his successful Go Fund Me campaign to pay for it. He successfully raised $20,000 and should be out of action for a year.
- Estbee, an IT Company in Japan has purchased Pro Wrestling NOAH and Masayuki Uchida, former President of All Japan Pro Wrestling has been named Chairman of NOAH.
MMA News and Notes:
- Ronda Rousey was on the Ellen DeGeneres show earlier this week where she revealed that UFC 207 is definitely one of her last fights thus making it public for the first time that she is close to retirement from MMA. Should she lose on December 30th, I fully expect to NEVER see her fight again. With a win and her regaining the title, she will likely come back for 2 more fights in 2017; a title defense vs someone and then the inevitable fight with Cristiane “Cyborg” Justino.
- UFC 205 headlined by Eddie Alvarez defending the UFC Lightweight title vs. Conor McGregor has already set the Madison Square Garden live gate record surpassing the $13.5 million gate of Evander Holyfield vs. Lennox Lewis. Since it is more than $13.5 is also sets the UFC gate record surpassing George St. Pierre vs. Jake Shields from Toronto at UFC 129 which was $12 million but had 79,000 tickets sold compared to MSG’s 18,000. WOW.
- DOWN GOES ROCKHOLD. Luke Rockhold has withdrawn from his UFC Fight Night bout against Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza on November 27th in Melbourne Australia due to a knee injury suffered during training. It is the same knee and same injury he suffered before his fight with Michael Bisping which ended up costing him his Middleweight title. This likely pulls both men out of the title contention since Chris Weidman and Yoel Romero are fighting on UFC 206. The best winner between those two fights were likely going to be in a line for a shot at Michael Bisping. Since Rockhold/Souza is scrapped, the winner of Weidman vs. Romero will likely be next in line.
- The co-main event of the above mentioned show of Derek Brunson vs. Robert Whittaker has been bumped up to main event and Ronaldo “Jacare” Souza has been pulled from the show. Souza did not want a replacement for Rockhold and noted that if he is not fighting Rockhold then he wants his title shot vs. Bisping as his next fight.
- UFC Heavyweight Fabricio Werdum has been removed as a UFC commentator due to some comments he made regarding the Reebok deal.
- WME-IMG is running UFC with the thought that they will see a television rights increase when their current deal with FOX expires in 2018. I hope they are right because that is EXACTLY how Vince McMahon thought with WWE when their contract was up and they ended right back at USA Network with less of a deal than they expected. WME believes that in addition to FOX, they will get offers from NBC, ESPN and Turner Broadcasting for UFC.
- In addition to cutting the executive staff of UFC in order to cut costs, UFC is selling their corporate jet which is what both Lorenzo Fertitta and Dana White traveled to every show in.
- Ari Emanuel, Co-CEO of WME-IMG and new owner of UFC met with the staff earlier this week to comfort them and let them know that the recent layoffs were NOT due to job performance and that they value the work that everyone has put in making UFC what it is today but that WME had people in place that were already doing those jobs for WME-IMG that can take over the roles within UFC. Not for nothing but every time I hear an Ari Emanuel story, I think of HBO’s Entourage and would have loved to see this play out on that show. For those who do not know, Emanuel is Mark Wahlberg’s agent and the entire basis for Jeremy Piven’s Ari Gold character.
- A few weeks ago I noted that the Ultimate Fighter was being cancelled. That is NOT the case however the show is being reformatted and the budget for the show is being scaled back a bit. The new format is set to debut in April 2017 and instead of new and unknown fighters, they are going to use current fighters from the Welterweight division for that season.
- WME-IMG is also planning on commissioning music artists that they represent to create original music for their fighters so that they can market the music as opposed to having to use licensed music by those they do not represent.
- I cannot imagine this going far especially how costly it is going to be but Mark Hunt has retained legal counsel and is looking to file a lawsuit against UFC regarding his fight vs. Brock Lesnar and the fact that he has fought three fighters on performance enhancing drugs in the last few years that he is aware of. He is looking to renegotiate his contract to add a provision that he will retain his opponents ENTIRE PURSE should they fail a PED test. He also claimed that he was offered his next fight which was to be against Josh Barnett however he refused since he is no longer planning on fighting known cheaters in the sport and Barnett calls in that category. He was then offered a rematch against Junior Dos Santos but he does not plan on fighting until that provision is in his contract. FYI...UFC is NOT going to open that door for him because it will stir up all sorts of people wanting similar provisions in their contracts.
- Bellator MMA has been negotiating with Fedor Emelianenko and they are trying to get him a fight with Matt Mitrione.
- Kayla Harrison, Ronda Rousey’s former Olympic judo training partner surprised the world by signing with World Series of Fighting instead of UFC. She is the first American to win a gold medal in Judo at the Olympics in 2012, male or female.
UFC 205 is on Saturday, November 12th, 2016 from NEW YORK CITY and the line-up is as follows:UFC LIGHTWEIGHT TITLE: Eddie Alvarez © vs. UFC Featherweight Champion Conor McGregorUFC WELTERWEIGHT TITLE: Tyrone Woodley © vs. Stephen “Wonderboy” ThompsonUFC WOMEN’S STRAWWEIGHT TITLE: Joanna Jedrzejczyk © vs. Karolina KowaliewiczChris Weidman vs. Yoel RomeroDonald Cerrone vs. Kevin GastelumMiesha Tate vs. Raquel Pennington
FOX SPORTS 1:Khabib Nurmagomedov vs. Michael JohnsonFrankie Edgar vs. Jeremy StephensRashad Evans vs. Tim KennedyThiago Alves vs. Jim MillerTim Boetsch vs. Rafael Natal
UFC 206 is on Saturday, December 10th, 2016 in Toronto Canada and the line-up is as follows: UFC LIGHT HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE: Daniel Cormier © vs. Anthony “Rumble” JohnsonAnthony Pettis vs. Max Holloway
UFC ON FOX is on Saturday, December 17th, 2016 from Sacramento California and the line-up is as follows:Paige VanZant vs. Michelle WatersonSage Northcutt vs. Mickey GallUrijah Faber vs. Brad Pickett
UFC 207 is on Friday, December 30th, 2016 from Las Vegas Nevada and the line-up is as follows:UFC WOMEN’S BANTAMWEIGHT TITLE: Amanda Nunes © vs. Ronda RouseyUFC BANTAMWEIGHT TITLE: Dominick Cruz © vs. Cody GarbrandtCain Velasquez vs. Fabricio WerdumDoo Ho Choi vs. Cub SwansonJohnny Hendricks vs. Neil MagnyMatt Brown vs. Tarec SaffiedineAlex Oliveira vs. Tim Means
Random Thoughts, Links, Pics, ETC.
- Random VIDEO of the week: Official Trailer for “Life”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week: Honest Trailer for “Sherlock (the TV show)”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 2: Official Trailer for “Gifted”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 3: Official Trailer for Season 2 of “Fuller House on Netflix”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 4: I love dogs. This is great.
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 5: Annual Jimmy Kimmel Halloween Kids Prank.
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 6: Official Trailer for “Wonder Woman”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 7: Official Trailer for “Trainspotting 2”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 8: Official Trailer for “xXx: The Return of Xander Cage”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 9: Latest Trailer for “Lego Batman”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 10: Official Red Band Trailer for “Wilson”
- THIS LINK is for LIFE. Thank you soldiers. WELCOME HOME BLOG
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week: If this is real then it is a pretty big deal. WOW.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 1: I cannot be the only person who wants to “Negan” these people can I? Vigilante justice for America. It is the only way.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 2: I hope to god that she wasn’t in on this as well. I really thought it was just him but now it is looking like she was looped in beforehand. WTF?
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 3: This is out reality now. This is our country. SMH.
- Random ARTICLE of the week PART 4: Terrible. A solid reminder that no one is gifted tomorrow.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 5: For f*cks sake, why would you not be holding your kids hand in the street? And why are you on the phone? Ugh.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 6: Grrrrr... It is kind of hard to forget your son in a locked, hot car killing him when you just text about him 10 minutes before you leave him in the car. I really hope this man suffers a gruesome and painful death.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 7: He f*cked her to death. Literally.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 8: In this week’s weird, insane criminal story that will end up a Lifetime movie....
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 9: China being China. Wow.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 10: I will not be happy until this piece of sh*t is in a wheelchair or better, DEAD.
- Iconic film director Quentin Tarantino confirmed earlier this week what he said many years ago, he is going to retire after his next two films. He always noted he wanted to make 10 films in his career.
- Marvel’s/Netflix ”The Defenders” began filming in New York this week. YAY!!! As expected, they are going ALL OUT with the show as almost all of the recurring characters on the existing stand-alone shows will be joining the cast including Rosario Dawson reprising her role as Nurse Claire Temple from Daredevil/Jessica Jones/Luke Cage/Iron Fist, Scott Glenn reprising his role as Stick from Daredevil, Rachael Taylor reprising her role as Trish Walker from Jessica Jones. They are joining the already announced Elden Henson reprising his role of Foggy Nelson from Daredevil, Deborah Ann Woll reprising her role as Karen Page from Daredevil, Carrie-Anne Moss reprising her role from Jessica Jones and Simone Missick reprising her role as Misty Knight from Luke Cage.
- Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. with a Johnny Blaze cameo? Awesome. AoS has really put together a good solid storyline and Ghost Rider is awesome. I hope the ratings hold tight or even improve. I would absolutely HATE to see it get cancelled unless they can make the jump to Netflix.
- The Flash is solid; Arrow however....not so much. I am playing catch up with Legends of Tomorrow and wrapping up last season before I start this season. While this show still isn’t “good” per se, it is better than Arrow to be honest. I cannot stand that show anymore and do not get how badly they blew it from season 1 & 2 to now. At least LoT found some coherency towards the end of season 1. I am starting season 2 this weekend to catch up.
- Arrow has cast sci-fy actress Lexa Doig in the recurring role of Talia Al Ghul for this coming season. She debuts in Episode 10.
- The hits keep on coming for DC/WB. As just a few short months after “The Flash” film lost their director Seth-Grahme Smith due to creative differences with the studio, his replacement for the film, Rick Famuyiwa has also exited the film over...creative differences. This will now likely delay the release of the film.
- After that intense premiere of the Walking Dead, this week’s show came back with some calmness. The Kingdom and King Ezekiel were fully introduced and I enjoyed the episode. It was definitely a walk in the park compared to the one before it.
Feel free to discuss whatever you'd like on the “Board" where I can do my best to answer anything you’d like. Also drop a comment in the comment box below as I try my best to answer in a timely fashion. You can also tweet me on the tweeter. I reply there as well. Questions, Corrections, Comments, Feedback or Ideas: EMAIL ME .