Good day to you all and welcome to We Want Insanity. I am your host for today, Matt Dawgs and this is my column. Today is the end of the work week and the time to look back at all the goings-on over the past seven days as I wrap it up with a bow and spout it out bit by bit. Buckle up. Enjoy the ride.
MATT NOTE: Special thanks to James Bullock for covering for me last week. He did a great job as usual and I am sure he can vouch for me when I say that this is not a quick overnight column to write. It takes time and research; so kudos to him for filling in. Hope you all had a happy Thanksgiving.
WWE NEWS AND NOTES:
- GOLDBERG!!! GOLDBERG!!! I am sure that most of you were wondering my thoughts on Survivor Series, specifically the main event. I was absolutely totally fine with it. It got a pop out of me because it was completely unexpected and solidified Goldberg as a special attraction on par with Brock. So instead of Brock being your only “special occasion” roster member and monster, now you have two. Brock is bullet proof at this point in his career. He isn’t hurt in the slightest by this loss and by all accounts is going to get a rematch with Goldberg where he will eventually win. So that is fine.
- Both Goldberg and Brock Lesnar are going to be in the Royal Rumble match itself which will lead to their rematch at Wrestlemania.
- With Brock Lesnar vs. Goldberg being eyed for Wrestlemania, it appears they are leaning towards Shane McMahon vs. Dean Ambrose which not for nothing, I am ok with. I think they can pull it off especially since they can do a hardcore spot fest which Dean excels at due to his CZW days. It also keeps Shane from DYING in the ring at the hands of Lesnar.
- Survivor Series overall was a good card from top to bottom. It is a shame that the brand extension happened so recently because with a several month more build and some sort of stakes on the line, this card would have meant more. All of the matches were solid however and all of the interpromotional stuff furthered all internal storylines for each brand.
- Sasha Banks vs. Charlotte is the best feud going in wrestling today. I am 100% on board with the fact that they keep switching the title between the two of them as it makes them appear as they are equals and that either one of them can get the best of each other on any given day. Yes I know that it goes against everything I believe in as far as “even steven” booking but they keep delivering in the ring and the original goal of the both of them when being called up was to be this generations “Flair vs. Steamboat”. They are doing well.
- Do you know how big that pop is going to be one day in the future when Charlotte is turning babyface and needs help after being attacked by two heels and Sasha Banks makes the save?
- Chris Jericho and Kevin Owens are awesome as usual and it is going to be a pity when they eventually break up. Come on, you honestly cannot say that you did not laugh out loud when Jericho claimed that he didn’t interfere in the Owens/Rollins match last week in a Sin Cara mask but instead it was Sin Cara in an authentic Jericho mask. LOL.
- P.S. – anyone who wants to learn anything about being a great performer needs to just study Chris Jericho. Non wrestling fans don’t always catch the little nuances that Jericho does but if you pay attention to him anytime he is on the screen, you’ll get it. For example, when Owens told Reigns that he doesn’t need Jericho, if you watch Jericho closely, you’ll notice the little subtle glance Jericho gives Owens after it was said. That laid the groundwork for their argument later. If you didn’t pay attention, go back and watch it. Fantastic.
- Paul Heyman is amazing and really needs to be back on creative. His promo explaining away Lesnar’s loss to Goldberg was heel 101. It was a master class in how to cut a promo. GOLD STAR!!!!
- If the Mick Foley/Sami Zayn segment doesn’t end in a Mick Foley heel turn or Zayn going to Smackdown then I honestly do not understand the point of it.
- By the way, why did Zayn need to be punished for losing to Miz at Survivor Series when in fact he was SCREWED out of the win by Maryse but the main eventers of Team Raw at Survivor Series weren’t punished for losing to Team Smackdown?
- You know, as much as I am not into Sheamus, his bar fight scene with Cesaro was good stuff and I am ok with them eventually dethroning the New Day for the tag titles.
- For those who didn’t catch it, the hot chick in the red dress sitting with Sheamus at the bar was Tessa Blanchard, daughter of WWE Hall of Famer Tully Blanchard. She is also the girlfriend of independent/New Japan star Ricochet.
- While the wrestling is usually always good and A.J. Styles is by far the best all-around worker in the entire company, Smackdown seems to feel like it is the same goddam show ever single week. It is brutal.
- John Cena is expected back on Smackdown starting with the December 26th WWE Smackdown Live event at Madison Square Garden in New York City. He will be back full time starting then until sometime in 2017 where he will need to take time off to co-star in a new film titled “The Pact” starring Leslie Mann. For all the crap Cena talked about Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson years ago, he seems to be going down the EXACT PATH Johnson did before becoming the mega star that he is now known as.
- And continuing to follow the blueprint set by the Rock, John Cena has been confirmed as the December 10th host of NBC’s Saturday Night Live!!! That is awesome news and the Rock’s first hosting appearance helped open the eyes of Hollywood just how charismatic he can be.
- Speaking of The Rock, he has ANOTHER #1 movie as Disney’s “Moana” opened at number 1 with a weekend gross of $82 million in the U.S.
- Congrats to the Big Show as apparently for the first time in 21 years, he weighs less than 400 lbs. as he recently weighed in at 396 lbs.
- Congrats to Rich Swann for capturing the WWE Cruiserweight title from The Brian Kendrick on the debut episode of 205 Live. It was a solid match and he deserves the title. The show itself was nothing to write home about. It was similar to the CWC in the presentation but I feel like the show hurts from airing after Smackdown. It was obvious that the crowd was burnt out and that some people left the building as the show was nowhere near as crowded. Some production errors could be fixed as well as there is NO REASON to open the show with all of the cruiserweights being introduced since that bunch had Gran Metalik out in front of the crowd and not 15 minutes later they show a Gran Metalik video package hyping the fact that Gran Metalik is “coming soon”. Um....no he is not coming soon, he is already there. SMH.
- Fan-f*cking-tastic however that Austin Aries was on commentary to start the show and noted that he wants a Cruiserweight Title shot down the line. He is absolutely PERFECT to lead the division and will help a lot of the other guys in the division improve by leaps and bounds. It is unfortunate that he isn’t going to compete with the Finn Balor/Seth Rollins/Cesaro/A.J. Styles types but regardless, if he gets on the main roster as a Cruiserweight, then so be it. He deserves to be on WWE TV.
- Percy Watson is back in NXT? He is now an announced for the show.
- Amazing to me in this day and age when people who work for WWE still do not get social media. Scott Dawson of the Revival was asked by a fan via twitter whether he and Dash Wilder will be debuting in the recent Tag Team Turmoil match on Smackdown last week. Dawson replied “We’re the hottest act in tag wrestling. You think we’re going to debut in a stupid multi-team gimmick match?” That prompted a response from former WWE talent Bubba Ray/Bully Ray who noted: “Great job. You managed to insult the entire creative team and your fellow workers in one tweet. Complete disrespect.” Current WWE producer/agent Road Dogg also chimed in with: “Keep talking like that and you won’t debut at all.” I do not understand how someone in the business let alone in the WWE doesn’t get that tweeting stuff like that, even if he was “in character” is just plain dumb. Dawson deleted the tweet and apologized claiming he was in character.
- The Authors of Pain almost killed someone this week at the NXT TV Tapings when one of them POWERBOMBED a jobber on top of another one and their heads collided. It was brutal.
- Major congrats to out to Steve Corino as he has signed with WWE to become a full time trainer at the WWE Performance Center beginning in January. Corino will fulfill his Ring of Honor and New Japan announcing commitments between now and then. This is awesome news for him and his family as he has worked very hard throughout the years and it is a shame that he never got a WWE opportunity in any capacity before now.
- WWE has purchased the tape library of former Club WWI contributor Les Thatcher’s Heartland Wrestling Academy promotion in Cincinnati. HWA was once a WWE developmental system and his library contains early matches of The Hardy’s, John Cena and others.
- On February 12th, 2017 WWE is running an “Elimination Chamber” in in Phoenix Arizona. It is scheduled to be a Smackdown event as of now. That does lead me to believe that a RAW person is likely winning the Royal Rumble unless RAW puts the WWE Title on the line in the Chamber with A.J. Styles defending the title.
- In an interview conducted last week, Chris Jericho noted that this is the 2nd favorite run of his wrestling career behind only the run he had with Shawn Michaels when Jericho turned into the serious heel.
- WWE is no longer filming WWE Superstars. That weekly show is being replaced by WWE 205 Live which may actually NOT be live and may be taped in the future before Smackdown.
- Former WWE Star Shelton Benjamin confirmed that he has been informed that his spot is still waiting for him upon his return from shoulder surgery. He should be back right before Wrestlemania.
- Spirit Squad Member Kenny Dykstra was FIRED from his normal 9 – 5 job due to missing work to appear on WWE Smackdown Live each week. Dykstra understood the firing however he noted that he was trying to live his dream and make it back to the WWE. He has NOT been offered a WWE contract as of this writing and is working on a per appearance basis.
- WWE Superstar Tyson Kidd, who for all intents and purposes is retired from in-ring competition, is no longer a cast member of E!’s Total Divas. He was removed from the show at WWE’s request due to no one wanting to explain the severity of his neck injury and the fact that he almost died and will not be able to go back. Kidd is STILL under WWE contract and expected to be paid out his deal and will likely sign some sort of deal when his contract is up to remain in the company in some capacity. I know I have explained it here several times but he is DONE as a competitor. He should essentially be dead or in a wheel chair right now. He has to count his blessings that he is alive and walking and call it a day. There is some heat between Wilson and WWE right now due to him being completely cut out of WWE altogether but he very smartly has remained quiet so far due to his wife still being employed by WWE.
- Tickets for Raw and Smackdown at the Amway Center in Orlando Arena for Wrestlemania weekend are now on sale.
WWE TLC PPV is THIS SUNDAY from Dallas Texas and the line-up is as follows:WWE TITLE: A.J. Styles © vs. Dean Ambrose in a Tables, Ladders & Chairs matchWWE SMACKDOWN WOMEN’S TITLE: Becky Lynch © vs. Alexa Bliss in a Tables MatchWWE INTERCONTINENTAL TITLE: The Miz © w/Maryse vs. Dolph Ziggler in a Ladder MatchWWE TAG TEAM TITLES: Heath Slater & Rhyno © vs. Bray Wyatt & Randy OrtonNikki Bella vs. Carmella in a No Disqualification MatchBaron Corbin vs. Kalisto in a Chairs Match
WWE ROADBLOCK: END OF THE LINE PPV is on Sunday, December 18th, 2016 from Pittsburgh Pennsylvania and the line-up is as follows:WWE UNIVERSAL TITLE: Kevin Owens © vs. WWE U.S. Champion Roman ReignsSami Zayn vs. Braun Strowman (If Zayn loses, he will be fired from Raw)
TNA IMPACT WRESTLING NEWS and NOTES:
- Anthem Sports and Billy Corgan officially filed their paperwork to their settlement agreement and the drama is now over. Corgan is officially gone from TNA Wrestling as he was paid an undisclosed amount believed to be his original loan plus interest plus a possible little bonus. In exchange, Corgan can NOT sue Anthem or TNA Wrestling for any claim of ownership or anything related to his time in TNA. He can however choose to sue any “individuals” should he decide (Dixie). There is no “non-compete” clause meaning that Corgan can go work for another wrestling promotion immediately or should he choose to, start his own promotion.
- With the settlement being finalized, Anthem has now moved on to finalizing the deal to purchase 85% interest in TNA and thus becoming majority owners.
- TNA is interested in the Young Bucks who’s contract with Ring of Honor expires at the end of the month.
- It is expected that the lawsuit filed by American Express vs. TNA is going to go into default and TNA is going to be found liable and be forced into collection for the bill. TNA never responded to the suit and the court case was scheduled for yesterday.
- TNA has confirmed a set of television tapings from January 4th through January 10th at the Impact Zone in Universal Studios Orlando. These tapings will be 3 months’ worth of shows meaning they will not tape again until April. Taping that much television is a risky proposition because while it is cheaper and cost efficient; a lot could happen in 3 months with talents leaving, getting injured or some other reason.
Ring of Honor / Lucha Underground / Independent / International News and Notes:
- An update on Timothy Thatcher following his concussion he received a few weeks back at EVOLVE. He is expected to be out of action until January at the earliest.
- Congrats (?) to Cody Rhodes as he won the Global Force Wrestling Nex*Gen Title defeating Sonjay Dutt last weekend in North Carolina. Dutt was one day shy of holding the title for one full year. That is an amazing accomplishment due to him being the fighting champion that he is. That is sarcasm by the way.
- Speaking of Rhodes, he makes his ROH debut tomorrow at Final Battle and is working the TV tapings on Saturday. He is also booked for ROH’s Texas dates in February.
- For those traveling to Orlando for Wrestlemania weekend, please note that the WWN is moving their weekend shows (EVOLVE, Progress Wrestling, Chikara, Shimmer, Kaiju Big Battle, etc) to the Ole Center in the Orlando Arena due to it being a preferable venue based on size, parking, sight lines, entertainment, etc.
- Major congrats to Joe Doering of All Japan Pro Wrestling. Doering was diagnosed with brain cancer in February 2016 and left All Japan to have it treated. He was at the last All Japan show on Sunday, November 27th walking around and told people that he would be returning to action soon meaning that he is fully gone with the cancer. Amazing as brain cancer is tough to beat.
- It is expected that Matt Sydal (Formerly Evan Bourne in WWE) will be released from a Japanese prison on Tuesday, December 6th. He has been in prison since September due to trying to enter the country with marijuana. He was convicted in October and sent to prison until now. He will no longer be allowed entry to Japan which will be a major loss of income for him. He can however return to wrestling in the United States upon his return.
ROH FINAL BATTLE PPV is TONIGHT from New York City and the line-up is as follows:ROH TITLE: Adam Cole © vs. Kyle O’ReillyROH TV TITLE: Marty Scurll © vs. Will Ospreay vs. Bobby Fish vs. Dragon LeeROH TAG TEAM TITLES: The Young Bucks © (Matt & Nick Jackson) vs. The Briscoes (Mark & Jay Briscoe)FINALS OF THE TRIOS TOURNAMENT: Lio Rush/Jay White/Kushida vs. Matt Taven/TK O’Ryan/Vinny MarsegliaJay Lethal vs. Cody(Cody Rhodes)Jushin “Thunder” Liger vs. Silas YoungColt Cabana vs. Dalton CastleThe Cabinet (Kenny King/Rhett Titus/Caprice Coleman vs. The Motor City Machine Guns (Chris Sabin & Alex Shelly) & Donovan Dijak
MMA News and Notes:
- In HUGE news that will affect UFC and some of their star fighters, George St. Pierre alongside Cain Velasquez, Donald Cerrone, Tim Kennedy and T.J. Dillashaw have created the “Mixed Martial Arts Athletes Association” and they plan on negotiating a collective bargaining agreement with UFC in order to try and get a 50/50 split of revenue between the company and their fighters. They are being assisted and advised in this matter by former Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney as well as the Creative Artists Agency which is the #2 talent agency in the world behind only UFC Owners WME-IMG. GSP noted that he is looking to negotiate with Conor McGregor to get him on board since having the biggest names in MMA on board will be a huge help in bargaining power. The above named fighters are the board of directors for the Association but they plan on having several other fighters in UFC officially join. They are NOT a union because technically UFC fighters are “independent contractors” and not employees thus unionization would slow down any negotiation process with UFC management. A 50/50 revenue split would DRASTICALLY change UFC’s success. Right now, fighters get roughly 8 – 10% of UFC’s revenue. Think about that for a second.
- DOWN GOES CORMIER!!!! UFC Light Heavyweight Champion Daniel Cormier was forced to pull out of his UFC 206 main event title defense against Anthony “Rumble” Johnson due to a hernia that Cormier had operated on yesterday. He is upset as is Johnson but he did in fact apologize to Rumble personally. Johnson will NOT be fighting someone else on the show as he has already beaten the next 3 contenders below him and he should not fight at heavyweight or middleweight and risk losing before he fights Cormier. He was offered Gegard Mousasi but decided against it. Cormier hopes to be ready to fight Johnson in March or April.
- Tim Kennedy did volunteer to take the fight against Johnson but was turned down by UFC officials.
- UFC Lightweight Champion Conor McGregor has VACATED the UFC Featherweight title effective immediately and no longer holds two title belts. Jose Aldo was named UFC Featherweight Champion although his status within UFC is still in flux as he is not 100% positive he is returning to the promotion or to MMA overall. UFC has decided that Anthony Pettis will fight Max Holloway for the interim UFC Featherweight title and should Aldo return, the interim champion will fight Aldo for the undisputed title. This will be the new main event of UFC 206.
- Speaking of Conor, either he is once again back to his old tactics of trying to get UFC to shell out more money or he is 100% serious about fighting Floyd Mayweather but McGregor was officially licensed to be able to box in the state of California. According to McGregor’s people, that opens the door for him to be licensed in other states such as Nevada, New York and Texas. Those 4 states are the “Big 4” for boxing in the U.S. This could potentially be HUGE for McGregor. Realistically, he isn’t beating Mayweather in a boxing match. He has a 0% chance of winning the fight but he will absolutely score a ridiculous payday for the fight. McGregor plans on using the “Ali Act” to get the fight to take place as the Ali Act is a law that was passed in 2000 that protects boxers from being exploited by promoters. UFC isn’t affected by the Ali Act but since Conor is now technically a boxer, he can claim that a promoter (UFC) is keeping him from a big money payday by trying to ban him from boxing even though boxing and UFC are two separate entities. According to sources, McGregor and Mayweather have been negotiating this for about a year now trying to make it happen.
- And just like that, the pipe dream for McGregor and Mayweather was shot down by UFC President Dana White. White noted that McGregor is contracted to UFC and isn’t allowed to fight anywhere without permission. Not only that but even if UFC did want that fight to happen, what athletic commission in their right mind would let arguably the greatest fighter in boxing history fight a man with zero professional boxing experience in his debut fight? None is the answer.
- Demetrious Johnson will be fighting the winner of this season’s TUF in Tim Elliot tomorrow night in the main event of tomorrow’s UFC event in Las Vegas. Elliot is 13 – 6 and won the tournament to get the shot. Elliot is NOT winning.
- Khabib Nurmagomedov has backtracked on his threats to quit UFC and has informed them that he is willing to fight Tony Ferguson before getting a shot at Conor McGregor. Ferguson has noted that he is willing to fight Nurmagomedov.
- Apparently Rashad Evans may be suffering from a form of brain damage according to Tim Kennedy. That is the reason their fight was removed from UFC 205 and then later removed from UFC 206. Evans has denied these claims and says he is 100% healthy but Kennedy claims that Evans will not be fighting again for UFC.
- Despite retiring following her last fight vs. Raquel Pennington, Miesha Tate was in Australia last week for UFC doing promotional work. She has stuck to her guns in that she doesn’t plan on fighting again but noted that she is hoping she can get a job as a UFC analyst with UFC on Fox/FS1.
- After being booted off UFC 205 due to not even bothering to step on a scale since he was so overweight, Kevin Gastelum returns to UFC 206 to face Tim Kennedy. The fight will be at middleweight since Dana White made it abundantly clear that Gastelum will never fight at Welterweight in UFC again after this being the 3rd time he has missed 170 lbs.
- According to the Sports Business Journal, WME-IMG is currently discussing internally new television deals. The contract that Lorenzo and Frank Fertitta sealed with Fox for $500 million over 5 years and will expire in 2018. WME is looking for a new deal worth $450 million, PER YEAR. They want it to be a 10 year deal so that will be HUGE.
- UFC has CANCELLED their UFC 208 event scheduled for January 21st from Anaheim California. No line-up had been announced but due to all the title fights and big match ups that UFC bunched together between UFC 205, 206 and 207, they did not have anyone ready to headline that show. The event was set to go head to head with Bellator’s show featuring Tito Ortiz vs. Chael Sonnen. UFC has rechristened the February 11th show from the Barclay’s Center in Brooklyn New York as UFC 208.
- After the cancellation was announced, Bellator’s official Twitter account tweeted: “Don’t worry SoCal, we’ll be here for you!! #Bellator170: Ortiz vs. Sonnen” LOLOLOL.
- Bellator has signed Fedor Emelianenko to a contract. He is set to debut in February vs. Matt Mitrione. My bet is that this is a case of “too little, too late”. I think Fedor is absolutely past his fighting prime and at age 40 with a few knockouts that he has suffered as of late, he is going to lose his Bellator debut and possibly a few fights after that. The money spent on him is likely not going to return itself in value.
- Benson Henderson failed at his quest to win the UFC Lightweight Title as he lost a split decision to champion Michael Chandler last weekend.
- Kevin Ferguson Jr. a.k.a. Baby Slice lost his Bellator MMA debut.
- Rizin in Japan is not going to be satisfied until someone dies in their ring. They have booked Gabi Garcia to face Shinobu Kandori on their New Year’s Eve show. Kandori is 52 years old and has about a 100lb weight disadvantage. She also hasn’t fought in almost a decade. Kandori was a Judo champion in the 80’s before becoming one of Japan’s greatest women’s wrestlers.
UFC 206 is TOMORROW NIGHT FROM Toronto Canada and the line-up is as follows: INTERIM UFC FEATHERWEIGHT TITLE: Anthony Pettis vs. Max HollowayDonald Cerrone vs. Matt BrownCub Swanson vs. Doo Ho ChoiTim Kennedy vs. Kevin Gastelum
UFC ON FOX is on Saturday, December 17th, 2016 from Sacramento California and the line-up is as follows:Paige VanZant vs. Michelle WatersonSage Northcutt vs. Mickey GallUrijah Faber vs. Brad Pickett
UFC 207 is on Friday, December 30th, 2016 from Las Vegas Nevada and the line-up is as follows:UFC WOMEN’S BANTAMWEIGHT TITLE: Amanda Nunes © vs. Ronda RouseyUFC BANTAMWEIGHT TITLE: Dominick Cruz © vs. Cody GarbrandtCain Velasquez vs. Fabricio WerdumDoo Ho Choi vs. Cub SwansonJohnny Hendricks vs. Neil MagnyDong Hyun Kim vs. Tarec SaffiedineAlex Oliveira vs. Tim Means
UFC 208 is on Saturday, February 11th, 2017 from Brooklyn New York and the line-up is as follows:TBD vs. TBD
Random Thoughts, Links, Pics, ETC.
- Random VIDEO of the week: Honest Trailer for “Rudolph The Rednose Reindeer”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week: Villain Pub – The Boss Battle!!!
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 2: Official Teaser for Pixar’s “Cars 3”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 3: Official Trailer for “Silence”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 4: Official Trailer for “The Smurfs: The Lost Village”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 5: Bad Lip Reading with Jedi Master Yoda.
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 6: Honest Trailer for “The Secret Life of Pets”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 7: Official RED BAND Trailer for “The Belko Experiment”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 8: Official TEASER for “The Mummy”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 9: Official Trailer for “Beauty and the Beast”
- BONUS Random VIDEO of the week PART 10: Latest Trailer for “Office Christmas Party”
- THIS LINK is for LIFE. Thank you soldiers. WELCOME HOME BLOG
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week: Incredibly touching story.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 1: Missing jogger found safe 3 weeks later. Husband passed lie detector test. So what happened? I am interested to see how this story unfolds. Lots of missing pieces to this. Where is Nancy Grace when you need her?
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 2: So many things that could have been done to prevent this tragedy. I feel bad for Brazil and this soccer team.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 3: Our justice system really needs a look over because this story is pretty terrible.
- Random ARTICLE of the week PART 4: Trump’s America. Sigh. This isn’t going to be the day to day here in the U.S. but I guarantee we are going to get similar incidents like this over the next 4 years.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 5: What? The? F*ck?
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 6: What an assh*le!!! Wow. I cannot believe someone would be so goddamn stupid. Lucky he or anyone else isn’t dead.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 7: Holy sh*t!! Lucky to be alive after this. Not only alive, but walking again.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 8: Maybe it is just me but this feels like a TERRIBLE idea and he is either going to quit or die before he reaches his goal.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 9: Who knew? I’d take one of these in a heartbeat.
- BONUS Random ARTICLE of the week PART 10: Sad day for fans of U.S. Chinese food.
- This week CW Network presented their 4 night (really 3 since it started at the tail end of Supergirl) crossover event and I must say it was pretty fantastic. Each show played into that specific shows strengths, all the characters involved were featured correctly, they splashed a bit of comedy in the mix and really established that these heroes can come together when necessary. All of the shows were also different in their presentation as they felt true to the host show. The cameos in Arrow were well done including the subtle comedy line of explaining that Tommy Merlin couldn’t make Oliver and Laurel’s wedding because he was busy being a doctor in Chicago. That was laugh out loud funny because the truth is they couldn’t get the actor to appear due to his commitments as one of the stars of NBC’s Chicago Med where he plays a doctor. LOL. The other classic line was when Ray Palmer noted that Kara looked like his cousin. Hilarious mention since he played Superman in “Superman: Returns”. Great stuff overall and am definitely looking forward to next year’s crossover. I really just wish they would somehow bring Supergirl into the universe full time. I do like that Cisco created the mini-breach device so she can come when she needs them. That is a plus. Solid work CW Network. Well done.
- Not really a surprise at all but FX has confirmed that they ordered a pilot episode of “The Mayans” which is a spin-off of “Sons of Anarchy” which will follow the Mayan Motorcycle Club. The show will take place AFTER the events of the Sons of Anarchy finale from 2014. It will follow the life of EZ Reyes, a prospect in the Mayans MC.
- “Star Wars: Rogue One” is tracking towards a $150 million opening weekend.
- The official Trailer for “Spider-Man: Homecoming” is expected to be released with Star Wars: Rogue One. It will likely leak online before that. A teaser of it debuted today in Brazil at a conference and the word that is coming out of that teaser is that Peter Parker is gifted ANOTHER suit by Tony Stark and this suit will in fact have the traditional web wings under the arms. That sounds pretty awesome.
- Actress Angela Bassett is joining the cast of Marvel’s “Black Panther”. She will be playing the role of Queen Ramonda a.k.a. T’Challa’s mother.
- The Inhumans show on ABC debuts in IMAX theaters on September 4th.
- I cannot be the only person who is ok with the Walking Dead and their “filler” episodes can I? I am completely fine with a slow build and having stand-alone episodes in which we get to see what is going on with a specific set of characters rather than it being all Alexandria and the Saviors, all the time.
- PS: If you are wondering where Heath disappeared to on The Walking Dead, he had to go film “24: Legacy” for Fox.
- There are STRONG rumblings that WB Montreal, the studio who brought us the “Batman: Arkham Origins” video game is currently working on both a Batman title set in the future with Damien Wayne under the cowl and an elder Bruce Wayne mentoring him as well as a Suicide Squad video game with similar game play to that of “Border Lands”. WOW.
Feel free to discuss whatever you'd like on the “Board" where I can do my best to answer anything you’d like. Also drop a comment in the comment box below as I try my best to answer in a timely fashion. You can also tweet me on the tweeter. I reply there as well. Questions, Corrections, Comments, Feedback or Ideas: EMAIL ME .